Why become a member? ×

Lakland US Basses in the UK

Musicman20

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1472889922' post='3125026']
Haha, the Lakin headstock is not great, but better than AC, Lull or Nordstrand ones. IMO.

I also have a slight beef with the Lakland oval bridge, but could let it slide if I had a US Decade - lovely basses!
[/quote]

Absolutely don't agree with this, the Lakin is the worst of the bunch for me! Eugh

Si

People forget just how massively labour costs figure into the price of workshop instrument vs mass-produced factory instruments. Had a long chat with Sheldon Dingwall and confirmed with him that while most people think his basses are expensive (and they're not cheap), he pays his workers a fair wage in a country where the cost of living is very high. Godins are also from Canada, but they are the largest manufacturer in the country with huge economies of scale.

Sadowsky Metros are made in Japan - if you've been to Japan you'll know that the cost of living is very high, so it's not very much cheaper to produce there than it is in the States for the most part.

We're spoilt by the mass-produced machine-made instruments we get from China (getting more expensive as the cost of living there increases), Korea, Indonesia etc. Many of us wouldn't be happy with the per-hour income that high-end luthiers and workshops make.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1472891069' post='3125041']
People forget just how massively labour costs figure into the price of workshop instrument vs mass-produced factory instruments. Had a long chat with Sheldon Dingwall and confirmed with him that while most people think his basses are expensive (and they're not cheap), he pays his workers a fair wage in a country where the cost of living is very high. Godins are also from Canada, but they are the largest manufacturer in the country with huge economies of scale.
[/quote]

Which is precisely why we need to enjoy the stupidly good value of Maruszczyk while it lasts...

I really like the oval Lakland bridge, but totally agree about the D Lakin headstock. I think he decided to go for an early Fender-style Tele headstock, and it just doesn't work.

Regarding paint jobs, D Lakin basses are a case in point. Because Dan had no intention of offering a USA-made range, he was free to offer the most attractive colours such as Fiesta Red and Seafoam Green on his import line. Companies such as Fender and Lakland reserve them for their custom shop basses as an inducement for these prestige instruments. It makes sense from a marketing point of view.

I know for a fact that custom USA Lakland basses are all shipped from Chicago to California to be painted by Pat Wilkins, widely accepted to be the best in the business for paint jobs, bar none. That is a significant cost incurred in their manufacture. The cheaper USA range will almost certainly be painted locally.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472891713' post='3125059']
Which is precisely why we need to enjoy the stupidly good value of Maruszczyk while it lasts...
[/quote]

Maruszczyk basses do indeed look like tremendous value for money and no doubt they are. From experience though, if your heart is set on a particular bass - be it Fender, Sadowsky, Dingwall, whatever - however sensible and pragmatic a substitute might be, you are never truly satisfied.

Pre-Brexit, I have been saving my pennies for MM Stingray Classic, but now I won't pay over the odds, leaving me with money in my pocket but no real prospects that excite me when it comes to UK-made basses not affected by the Brexit-induced price hike. ( Regaining British sovereignty is all very well, but it is of very little use when you are trying to pump out a heavy funk bassline. A Stingray would do nicely, though. :lol:)

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1472903101' post='3125211']
Maruszczyk basses do indeed look like tremendous value for money and no doubt they are. From experience though, if your heart is set on a particular bass - be it Fender, Sadowsky, Dingwall, whatever - however sensible and pragmatic a substitute might be, you are never truly satisfied.
[/quote]

My experience is exactly the opposite :lol:

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1472891069' post='3125041']
People forget just how massively labour costs figure into the price of workshop instrument vs mass-produced factory instruments. Had a long chat with Sheldon Dingwall and confirmed with him that while most people think his basses are expensive (and they're not cheap), he pays his workers a fair wage in a country where the cost of living is very high.

We're spoilt by the mass-produced machine-made instruments we get from China (getting more expensive as the cost of living there increases), Korea, Indonesia etc. Many of us wouldn't be happy with the per-hour income that high-end luthiers and workshops make.
[/quote]

It's great to see a fair wage, but I know of a few employers who work a similar model of a great wage, yet their prices aren't high at all. In fact, the prices are fair. This isn't a guitar manufacturer I agree, but still.

Well, in terms of what someone wants to do for a career, that in the end is their choice. I think that can happen in a lot of artistic careers, unfortunately. Some may do it purely because they love designing and making instruments.

The other basses alluded to in this thread, Maruszczyk for example, show that it is possible.

It can be a bizarre market.