Why become a member? ×

Flatwound string tension

Funky Dunky

This is why the D'addario tension chart is incredibly helpful.
Say you used a particular set of D'addario round wound strings, find their tension on their chart, then match the tension (if that is the deciding factor) to the set of flats you want. If you're more bothered about gauge than tension, this exercise will still be helpful, but simply let you know whether you'll need to set the bass up within your new strings (truss rod etc).

For example, I was using Newtone Steel 50-110 strings on my P-bass, now I know these won't be exactly the same tension as D'addario Pro Steel 50-110, but they'll be pretty close I wager. So I picked a Chromes set that matched (or as close as damnit) the tension. I wasn't bothered about gauge, so I ended up with the 45-100 Chromes as a fairly close match.
What that meant for me is that I haven't had to setup my '71 P, they don't feel any tighter than the previous rounds I had on, and I'm very happy :)

Si

Some interesting responses on here. Never tried the La Bella low tension strings - are they as low as TI flats?
Also, how do half round strings compare, tension-wise to round wounds and flats? Never having tried half-rounds....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1471526367' post='3113679']
Some interesting responses on here. Never tried the La Bella low tension strings - are they as low as TI flats?
Also, how do half round strings compare, tension-wise to round wounds and flats? Never having tried half-rounds....
[/quote]i'm afraid I can't give you a comparison with TIs, never tried them, the price puts me off!

• 6 years later...
On 17/08/2016 at 11:37, EssentialTension said:

You can't tell tension from gauge alone or flat/round alone.

It's mass per unit length of string that matters (plus scale length plus pitch). Hence the internal construction of the string makes a difference because it makes a difference to the mass per unit length.

The same internal construction with a larger gauge will mean higher tension (at same scale length and pitch) but if the internal construction changes then there is no straightforward telling of the effect on tension from a different gauge.

This is complicated by the fact that tension ought not to be confused with compliance or elasticity which is not the tension of the string at pitch but its feel (or perception) under the fingers. Like tension, compliance is affected by internal string construction - e.g. hexcore/roundcore - but possibly by other factors that have no effect on tension such as break angle at the nut.

[url="http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm[/url]

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but does this mean that we can determine the relative tension of strings by weighing them?

4 hours ago, wintoid said:

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but does this mean that we can determine the relative tension of strings by weighing them?

Not merely by weighing the string, no. You'd need to calculate mass per unit length of the string and allow for any variation in pitch and/or scale length.

And it would still not tell you about compliance.

On 17/08/2016 at 00:05, HowieBass said:

I've got Fender flats on two basses and though I had to tweak the truss rods to get the relief correct I can't say I find the tension much different to the rounds that were fitted previously.

If you have to tweak the truss rod, the tension is much different.

I have used half round or ground wound strings and they were great to play, however very high tension. Saying that they were the best all round strings. Low string noise, almost as bright as a good new round wound. The old Welsh made Picato Ground wounds were my favourite.

Edited by Chienmortbb

5 hours ago, wintoid said:

What's compliance?  Do you mean how pliable the string is?

Compliance refers to the feel, the flexibility, of the string under the fingers (or pick) and is often confused with tension.

Tension is fixed for the whole string between bridge saddle and nut - given (1) fixed mass per unit length, (2) fixed scale length, and (3) fixed pitch.

But, although tension remains and must remain the same all along the string length, a string is more compliant when played at or around the 12th fret than it is when played near to the bridge.

Like tension, but not in the same way, compliance is affected by internal string construction - e.g. hexcore/roundcore - but possibly by other factors that have no effect on tension such as break angle at the nut.

Read all about it here ... http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm ... and here ... https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/tension.htm

Edited by EssentialTension

6 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Yes, but it's not the weight of the whole string that matters, it's the mass per unit length.

Sorry if I'm being really dim here, but if I know the mass of the whole string, and I know the length of the whole string, then can't I calculate the mass per unit length?  Admittedly with the string that goes beyond the nut and the bridge, it's an approximation.

35 minutes ago, wintoid said:

Sorry if I'm being really dim here, but if I know the mass of the whole string, and I know the length of the whole string, then can't I calculate the mass per unit length?  Admittedly with the string that goes beyond the nut and the bridge, it's an approximation.

Yes, an approximation.

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2023 at 11:22, wintoid said:

You're right that it's only the mass of the string between the nut and the bridge saddle; the "speaking" length of the string. 

Were you to weigh the whole thing, you'd get the mass of the rest of the string plus ball end/s included. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

On 05/08/2023 at 14:12, Lfalex v1.1 said:

You're right that it's only the mass of the string between the nut and the bridge saddle; the "speaking" length of the string. 

Were you to weigh the whole thing, you'd get the mass of the rest of the string plus ball end/s included. 

Strings are a composite, they can have round or hexagonal cores and round, flay, tape or even ground windings. I am not sure a mass calculation based on anything but a detailed knowledge of the core and winding material would be accurate enough.