Why become a member? ×

Astounding bass playing from Jaco.

bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470573209' post='3106783']
Has anyone said they didn't like it without listening to it though? That's what I struggle with when the monthly Jaco thread comes up, lol

I listened to it and (for me) it sucks :)
[/quote]
No, i think what you struggle with is reading and understanding what people have written. My original point on this had nothing to do with Jaco.

Coilte said that there is a difference between technical music and music that speaks to people. I said that sometimes technical music speaks to some people. I also said that most of it doesn't connect with me. We both agreed on that.
I then said in general i think if people don't like technical music just because it's technical i find that ignorant. Not you, or people that do listen. But people who automatically dismiss music that is technical and state only 3 chord songs are real and connect with people. I think i've said it enough times now!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1470576270' post='3106820']
His playing is about technicality that can be be used in many different musical situations. It's not genre
[/quote]

I think you are missing the point. If I am reading correctly the general gist of the "not pushed on Jaco" people (in which I include myself), no one has a problem with technicality, except when it seems (to some ears) to be simply for the sake of it.

Don't forget that this forum is populated by a self-selected set of bass fans, so it's likely that we can all appreciate the skilful playing of someone like Jaco. I know I couldn't play any of his stuff and can therefore genuinely admire his virtuosity.

But it doesn't mean I actually like the music he plays and nor should it, necessarily. The two things are completely separate.

Also, consider those less fortunate than ourselves and who cannot play any sort of instrument. They would likely admire anyone who can strum three chords on a guitar, but again it has nothing to do with the music being played.

Even more extreme, there are those people who have little or no interest in music at all, at any level. Now that I'm really struggling to understand :lol:

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1470580032' post='3106853']
Sometimes it's better to just walk away from a post.
[/quote]

Or feel like you have just walked into one.
:D

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1470580048' post='3106855']
Don't forget that this forum is populated by a self-selected set of bass fans,
[/quote]

And a Drummer, don't forget that Drummer.
:)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1470575243' post='3106805']

No, i think what you struggle with is reading and understanding what people have written. My original point on this had nothing to do with Jaco.

Coilte said that there is a difference between technical music and music that speaks to people. I said that sometimes technical music speaks to some people. I also said that most of it doesn't connect with me. We both agreed on that.
I then said in general i think if people don't like technical music just because it's technical i find that ignorant. Not you, or people that do listen. But people who automatically dismiss music that is technical and state only 3 chord songs are real and connect with people. I think i've said it enough times now!
[/quote]

Maybe you should have that debate in a separate thread if it's nothing to do with this thread then.

It still sucks :lol:

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1470574346' post='3106793']
?
[/quote]

I can only think you are wondering what "Heeheehee" means...

It's just that I h8 using acronyms, abreviations and initialisms such as lol and I dislike txtspk generally. Sorry for any confusion but I thought what you said was funny and I larfed.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1470584218' post='3106895']
Jaco was not actually that technical; he was funky as fcuk.
[/quote]

Funky definitely. Technicality is relative especially to an amateur like me. Before looking closely at Jaco, I had no idea that you could make artificial harmonics. I suppose there are other examples out there but for me, that technique came from observing Jaco and listening to clipped interviews. Posthumously I might add.

Is that not impressive?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1470587345' post='3106916']
I can only think you are wondering what "Heeheehee" means...

It's just that I h8 using acronyms, abreviations and initialisms such as lol and I dislike txtspk generally. Sorry for any confusion but I thought what you said was funny and I larfed.
[/quote]I thought you were just laughing at "look mate"

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470584149' post='3106894']
Maybe you should have that debate in a separate thread if it's nothing to do with this thread then.
[/quote]

Well it does, as it was in reply to a statement within this thread!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1470584218' post='3106895']
Jaco was not actually that technical; he was funky as fcuk. Of course there were great technical tracks that stretched the envelope but, in the main, he grooved. I know technical players. Jaco was much more than that.
[/quote] I agree he was a great groove player whilst being technical and melodic at the same time and i dont think he was being flash i think he was just being Jaco...Donna Lee must have blown minds when he first did that !

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1470525600' post='3106578']
... and I find it strange that there are folks that don't seem to appreciate Phil Lesh, too...

[url="https://archive.org/details/gd73-05-26.sbd.cribbs.17076.sbeok.shnf"]Box of Rain ...[/url]

Funny ol' world, isn't it..?
[/quote] Love Phil ..he floats like no other !

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1470580048' post='3106855']
Don't forget that this forum is populated by a self-selected set of bass fans, so it's likely that we can all appreciate the skilful playing of someone like Jaco. I know I couldn't play any of his stuff and can therefore genuinely admire his virtuosity.

But it doesn't mean I actually like the music he plays and nor should it, necessarily. The two things are completely separate.

[/quote]
This is the thing that always gets me whenever Jaco’s name is mentioned on here. You would think that a forum consisting not just of musicians, but bass players or aspiring bass players would appreciate the musicality and the legacy of innovation even if they don’t like the music – especially as Jaco wasn’t just an amazing technician but a very skilful and funky ensemble player. I certainly don’t own every JP recording and if there is anyone who is predisposed to listen to and play straight 8s rock music then it’s me, but I can understand the musicality and the lasting influence he has had on the world of bass playing.

FWIW I have just seen a Scot Devine clip where he discussed his personal top ten influences on him as a bass player. I would say that Jaco was an influence on most (if not all) of them and whilst nine out of the ten were very technical jazz players (the exception being Pino), none of those had his groove or soul, even if many might have arguably have surpassed his technical prowess.

Not heard that before - great stuff. It's the kind of groove I love from Jaco. Agreed it's not that technical - a variation on Come on Come over, which is in turn borrowed heavily from Jerry Jemmott's style. The notes/chord tones themselves are simple enough, but the way they are diced up and sprinkled onto the song is superb.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1470678369' post='3107602']
On that Joni Mitchell track the bass sounds like they accidentally mixed in someone noodling over another track. Sounds like someone making comedy fart noises with their armpit in places as well. I really don't get it ...
[/quote]

I guess one of the undisputed giants of bass accompanying one of the greatest poets that ever picked up a guitar is not for everyone...

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1470679859' post='3107620']
I guess one of the undisputed giants of bass accompanying one of the greatest poets that ever picked up a guitar is not for everyone...
[/quote]

Indeed.
Just been listening to 'Hejira'. A poster on YouTube summed up Jaco's playing on that track perfectly
[size=4][i][color=#000000][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]"The heavy use of 5th's and 9th's in the melody give the song an airiness to it. Add the major 7th's and you have a recipe for beauty. Jaco-you are the finest.".[/font][/color][/i][/size]
http://youtu.be/5AfPR_B8s-A

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1470680812' post='3107631']

Indeed.
Just been listening to 'Hejira'. A poster on YouTube summed up Jaco's playing on that track perfectly
[size=4][i][color=#000000][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]"The heavy use of 5th's and 9th's in the melody give the song an airiness to it. Add the major 7th's and you have a recipe for beauty. Jaco-you are the finest.".[/font][/color][/i][/size]
http://youtu.be/5AfPR_B8s-A
[/quote]

I've listened to that album hundreds of times and I NEVER tire of it, Masterpiece!

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1470681648' post='3107640']
I've listened to that album hundreds of times and I NEVER tire of it, Masterpiece!
[/quote]

Yes, brilliant.

I presume you have heard the live Orchestral album ?
Vince Mendoza and his terrific arrangements.
Personally I only stumbled upon it last year. Not sure how I missed it to be honest.
Sublime version of 'Hejira'
http://youtu.be/yt50Te9RriI