Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1477515147' post='3162776']
Looking and sounding good.
Did you use the brass nut for the sake of authenticity, or is it your/Pete's preference?
[/quote]
Neither - I think c**k up is probably a closer description ;)

I cover a few pages back that I suspect I over sanded the very end of the fretboard. Whatever the reason, certainly the zero fret was low. I could have put in a higher fret in place, but as I needed a nut anyway for lateral guidance it was easier just to fit a nut. Pete didn't know he might have had a zero fret anyway so no harm done there :)

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1477553649' post='3162883']
I got the issues with the zero fret, but was wondering more on the choice of nut material - brass vs. bone vs. synthetic stuff, etc.
[/quote]
Ah...I made a needless confession :)

I used to always go for the graphite/synthetic...and still do for 6 string electrics where tuning stability is the main need. However, for basses, the edge is on the tone transfer of a solid nut (in my personal view). Bone is good but brass looks better on this kind of build :)

Thanks, folks :)

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1477824949' post='3164604']
Spectacular! Whilst the three point bridge was a pain in the proverbial and isn't the most user friendly piece of hardware, it just looks so right; well worth the perseverance. Another masterpiece by the maestro.
[/quote]

Would've been even more of a pain in the proverbial without 6feet7's kind gift of that very nicely made extender bar!

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1477826540' post='3164620']
Would've been even more of a pain in the proverbial without 6feet7's kind gift of that very nicely made extender bar!
[/quote]

On that note, can I ask a stupid question? Are these extenders for solving string tensions issues, or intonation/scale length? I can see how it would help to add extra length to the string's total run, but then I always thought the fine-tuning of the scale length was determined by the position of the bridge saddle.

(And just to add to everyone else's comments: I've been following this thread in earnest anticipation of any photo updates - this truly is a thing of beauty!)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1477827938' post='3164631']
On that note, can I ask a stupid question? Are these extenders for solving string tensions issues, or intonation/scale length? I can see how it would help to add extra length to the string's total run, but then I always thought the fine-tuning of the scale length was determined by the position of the bridge saddle.

(And just to add to everyone else's comments: I've been following this thread in earnest anticipation of any photo updates - this truly is a thing of beauty!)
[/quote]

It's mainly to get a bit more distance between the ball end and the saddle. As designed, the ball end clasps are so close to the saddles that the silk and windings actually go over some of the saddle slots with most makes of strings and intonation set-ups! The other thing many original EB3 owners did was drill to go for a thru-body/ferrule approach (bit like a telecaster 6 string) to achieve the same end.

The second advantage 6feet7's extender bar gives me is that, when I had to slot the saddles so low to get a decent action (ref my c**k up on neck angle calcs), the bar brings the back of the strings to a steeper angle and therefore achieve an OK break angle :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Thanks folks - very much appreciated :)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1477851475' post='3164841']
Nicest EB3 I have ever seen - stunning build!

Now, how about a Wal lookalike for me ;)
[/quote]

Well, White Cloud...you know your wish is a mere king's ransom away :D