Why become a member? ×

BBC Proms - David Bowie

skidder652003

Yep Mrs Skids watched precisley 30 seconds and took to her bed. As a mega mega Bowie Fan, she couldn't stomach it.
I think I may have to dig out Hunky Dory on Vinyl just to restore the faith.
I hate coming across as an old fart who "doesn't get" new interpretations of material, but I'm sorry, this was just bloody awful.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1469829845' post='3101454']
where's Mick Ronson?
[/quote]

Mick has sadly been in his grave since he died in 1993!

As for the BBC Proms special - dear goodness, awful, wasn't it? Watching that on TV was a waste of electricity! Hahaha

Saying that, at least we now have the fabulous "Five Years" documentary now showing - fabtastic stuff!

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I loved it from start to finish and think Bowie would have done too!

Anna Calvi's version of 'Lady Grinning Soul' was a particular highlight,but there were many others that really moved me.

The Five Years documentary is a great watch, with some brilliant rare footage and very insightful journalism.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1469840378' post='3101495']
I loved it from start to finish and think Bowie would have done too!

Anna Calvi's version of 'Lady Grinning Soul' was a particular highlight,but there were many others that really moved me.

The Five Years documentary is a great watch, with some brilliant rare footage and very insightful journalism.
[/quote]Fair enough :)

I thought it was a brave concept, maybe it was just the standard BBC sound engineer mangling that ruined it? Those in the audience seemed to enjoy it, so maybe it was just us in TV land that got the bums rush?

'Blackstar' came across quite well I thought. Sent the tingles up my spine with the opening lyric!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think Bowie would have loved it cause its new but not for me. His stuff is so remarkably different that I simply dont think it transposes well into anything..it is what it was and in its original form was completely iconic. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I even struggle listening to covers of his music, guy was unique.[/font][/color]

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469874094' post='3101626']
It wasn't my sort of thing but I'm glad it was done. It would be a boring world if boundaries were not pushed. Heck, without a bit of boundary pushing most of Bowie's catalogue would not exist in the first place!
[/quote]

+1

Turned it on as Marc Almond started. Bowie would be turning in his grave with that. Been a Bowie fan since early 70's and this isn't what Bowie would have wanted. He was always into getting away from the normal mainstream and creating something new.
Why did anyone think BBC proms doing Bowie was a good idea.
The documentary after it is excellent tho and a great insight into how Bowie worked.

Dave

There were no catastrophic technical problems as such, it's just that the performances were absolutely piss poor. With all the best will in the world anyone who thinks they can step into Bowie's shoes live is guilty of almost unbelievable hubris. Yes, I said 'hubris'. Which as we know, leads to Nemesis.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469874975' post='3101646']
Disappointing to read all these derogatory comments from a bunch of supposed musicians. Not liking something is one thing, but rubbishing other artists' works? Hmm.
[/quote]

Yep, my thoughts entirely..

Bowie led by example encouraging musicians to be open minded and experimental, which is as much a part of his legacy IMO as is his fantastic back catalogue of music.

As this event was part of The Proms where classical music is the predominant mode of presentation, I think the use of orchestra with other instrumentation was really good..

At times the orchestration reminded me of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill and at other times, Philip Glass - all of whom Bowie was a long time admirer of. He also collaborated with Philip Glass on the Low Symphony and covered Brecht/Weill songs, so I think they organisers and arrangers got the overall balance and tone of it absolutely right.

Just my 2p worth of course...

The reimagining was all just a bit high school drama production at points in my opinion, and some of the vocals were off.

And the more obscure tracks they picked just highlighted the huge body of work Bowie left behind doesn't necessarily mean it was all top draw work.

And 'Fame' isn't pronounced "fwuaaaaaamuh" it was reimagining of course, but seemed a bit try hard.

There was also the heal the world moment where Palmer and Almond cradled a toddler together.

I blame myself for sticking with it.