Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

My VT Bass I had on pre-order from the US finally came in yesterday - my board is now looking a bit more full! I'm pretty much done with this set up, I might add a compressor and/or tremolo at a later stage - which might need me to swap the tuner for a Korg Pitchblack to fit them on! Done, yeah right, whatever you say Dannybuoy...

I'm going to build a switch box so that I can change the order of the VT Bass and SMMH (SMMH ideally comes last but in some situations I will want the VT last so I can drive a power amp with it or split the SMMH signal so I can have a clean signal to the amp and the VT signal to the desk) and I'm also planning on modding the 442 filter to be able to use an expression pedal. Just a bit too busy at the moment, about to move house and go on holiday in the same week!

Edited by dannybuoy

My Fulltone Bass Drive arrived today and I don't think I could be happier, it's just what I was after. So in celebration here's my current setup :

Everything is in the Barge Concepts loop except for the tuner that comes in front and the compressor which comes after it.

The echo park is just there to give me a volume swell (combined with octaver, chorus and reverb for hammond-esque atmospherics), I'll long term look to replace it with a Slow Gear or similar clone. The Boss Super Octave might get replaced with an EHX Micro Pog and the Dynacomp will probably get replaced with a EBS Multicomp at some point but I'm happy enough for now.

Thought I was done, but EHX had to make new pedals!

Out of the board at the moment (but keeping them because they're brilliant) are an Ernie Ball volume pedal, a T-Rex Bass Juice and a Boss BF-2 Bass Flanger. Well, this last one isn't that brilliant, but it's more evident on clean sound than the Rocktron, so keeping it for now...

OK,

Here's my offering, not really a wide variety at present, just some basic filthifiers!

Order runs : Tu-2, PBDDI, Bass Driver, D*A*M BEZekiel Custom, Bass Juice

Don't know what your thoughts are, but I always prefer putting the pre amp before the filth, keeps the tone of the distortion pedals better. Interesting to hear what you guys think though!

Also looking at maybe getting rid of the Bass Juice - boost in, it doesn't sound as good as the D*A*M. Boost out I prefer the sound of the Bass Driver. Nice to have options though eh?!

Just had the board out, so I took a shot. Its in somewhat of a limbo at the moment though, so its not finished at all.

The carpet bottom of the Diago came off entirely, so I've given it a liberal coat of PVA on the bottom, and used about 20 wide headed roofing nails to make sure it (hopefully!) shouldn't come up again :)

The box next to the tuner is an A/B selector - I don't use my wireless at practices, just gigs, but I don't like having to plug in and unplug the wireless all the time, so I just plug the wireless into the A/B selector at all times, and can switch between that and the other input (bass with a lead) with the footswitch. Not entirely necessary, but solves a minor problem for me :huh:

The bottom right corner is going to undergo a minor revamp - the ODB-3 sucks horribly, so that's going to go in favour of a better dirt pedal when I find one I like. I'm also going to put the Hyperpak and OC-2 in a bypass loop, so I can turn them both on/off at once for a synthy sound. I may eventually incorporate a double looper with a bypass switch in to navigate the two dirty sounds and the clean sound more easily.

And on the left hand side, I'm going to put all the delay pedals into a true bypass loop - sometimes when I'm making noises, the sounds can get a bit out of hand - be nice to be able to cut them all out at once! :huh:

Also got a compressor to stick in there somewhere. Although it looks a bit empty at the moment, I'm going to be struggling for usable board space by the time I get everything on. Also need to George L the thing up properly once everything is in place, cable tie the leads together and straighten the pedals up - I'm a bit OCD - everything has to be straight and facing the right way D:

Edited by Finbar

Thankyou :)

If I'd explained why everything was where it was, it'd make a bit more sense, but I haven't, so I'll explain that now!

The whammy sounds better (IMO) after distortions. That's not to say one day I won't change my mind. I'm like that :huh: But I've never had a problem with the tracking, and to be honest I quite like the slight glitchiness of the whammy pedal. I don't use it for pleasant sounds :huh:

Edited by Finbar

To be honest, this is part of a major pedal rethink, so I'm going through testing the order I like pedals in in much greater depth than I have before. All of the locations of these pedals are subject to change in the next few days :huh: I may re-assess the Whammy situation, as I only just decided I liked octave before distortion and not the other way round a couple of days ago, after months of having it the other way :)

It really bugs me how the space I have behind the Whammy is basically unusable ¬_¬

[quote name='Finbar' post='269277' date='Aug 25 2008, 02:14 AM']It really bugs me how the space I have behind the Whammy is basically unusable ¬_¬[/quote]

If your gonna have a compressor and if its gonna be on all the time you could pop that at the back of the whammy that way you'll have no switching issues as well it'd be on all the time?

Complete except for the Pickle Pie which is taking a while but I think Matt's pretty inundated with orders at the moment.

Also I may invest in some better quality Biohazard tape next time :)

I swear to god though, if I have to dismantle and reassemble it again...

EDIT: order recap:

Bass -> Catalinbread Serrano Picoso (to negate output discrepancy between Warwick and Pedulla) -> EBS Multicomp -> Red Onion Triple Loop (w/Tuner Mute -> Korg DT-10)

Looper Channel α: Digitech Whammy IV -> EMMA Discombobulator

Looper Channel β: Boss LS-2 [Channel A] -> Akai Deep Impact -> DHA VT-2 Dual Bass Custom -> MXR Blowtorch -> Boss LS-2 [Channel B] -> Boss OC-3 -> EHX Big Muff Pi (Russian) -> Boss ODB-3 -> Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B

Looper Channel γ: Subdecay Noisebox -> MXR Phase 90 (w/Resistor and Tremolo Mod) -> Boss DD-6 Edited by Muse_Cubed

[quote name='cheddatom' post='270256' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:50 PM']Nice. Is the LS-2 blending or switching?[/quote]

A bit of both depending. Usually I'll be blending the Channel B effects whilst Channel A tend to keep their low end quite well. And blending the distortions can be really effective. I did do quite a lot of thinking with the loops though and so far it's worked really well.

[quote name='Finbar' post='269232' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:26 AM']Also need to George L the thing up properly once everything is in place, cable tie the leads together and straighten the pedals up - I'm a bit OCD - everything has to be straight and facing the right way D:[/quote]

Well, so am I usually but there was absolutely no way in hell the MultiComp was going in straight :) damn you Dave Hall and your brick of a valvedrive (jokes) :huh:

Edited by Muse_Cubed

[quote name='Protium' post='272739' date='Aug 29 2008, 06:45 PM']Bass --> EHX Octave Multiplexer --> Sovtek Big Muff (green) Replica --> Boss ODB3 --> Toadworks Mr. Squishy --> Amp

Pics to follow.[/quote]

Heh, just noticed that you also have a 1995 Rapture. Snap bro! Except mine's a 5er. *1995 Pedulla Five*

[quote name='BassManKev' post='273369' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:50 PM']big muff and odb-3? i like you :huh:[/quote]

Hey, you never gave me the Big Muff/ODB-3 love :) I like running the Muff into the ODB-3 (low gain). Actually sounds pretty good.

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='273700' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:01 PM']Heh, just noticed that you also have a 1995 Rapture. Snap bro! Except mine's a 5er. *1995 Pedulla Five*

Hey, you never gave me the Big Muff/ODB-3 love :huh: I like running the Muff into the ODB-3 (low gain). Actually sounds pretty good.[/quote]

Awesome, what model and colour? I've got the single pickup one and I [i]think[/i] it's tobacco sunburst but faded really nicely :)

And running the muff into the ODB3 is great, like the world is ending :huh:

Edited by Protium

[quote name='Protium' post='273747' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:02 PM']Awesome, what model and colour? I've got the single pickup one and I [i]think[/i] it's tobacco sunburst but faded really nicely :)

And running the muff into the ODB3 is great, like the world is ending :huh:[/quote]

It's the RB5 with a single pickup. It's not stained, just natural. The pickguard is a reddy brown tortoiseshell pattern. I find her sexy even after all these years :huh:

Heh, and if you think the Muff/ODB-3 combination sounds like the world is ending, just wait til you get to run them through a Subdecay Noisebox :huh:

Edited by Muse_Cubed