Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='6821' date='May 25 2007, 09:28 PM']I had a listen to your clips and just an FYI just from the sound is your bass active? as thats why you are getting all those gated sounds with the Fuzz probe, you should look into an impedance buffer as that will greatly increase the usability of that pedal for you.

Also to anyone else looking the arpegiator on that PS-3 is more like a real arpegiator than that of a Sample and Hold Filter so try not to compare them to much as they sound completely different. Personally I prefer the sounds of a Sample and Hold Filter.

Hope this helps[/quote]
yes its active. can you give me an example of a impedance buffer?

[quote name='Toasted' post='6895' date='May 25 2007, 11:12 PM']That's actually two different processes:

Impedance Change

-and-

Buffer.

If you don't know what Impedance is in musical instrument terms, then I strongly suggest that you don't buy an impedance altering device.[/quote]

3 Processes what you've said and the 2 together as impedance can be changed passively like in a DI box but in my case there is some sort of active buffer changing the impedance.

The only separate impedance buffer I've found is one I had to have custom built after many years of struggling with fuzz's and active basses, Subdecay make a pedal called the flying tomato which has a 12k buffer and works fantastically with active basses, MI Audio have the Neo and GI fuzz with variable input bias I believe (Toasted?) which works in a similar manor, so they hard to get and generally custom built but they cost very little if you can get a stand alone unit (Which I have been unable to do even speaking to several custom pedal companies I'm very close with).

But yeah you are really clipping and gating that Fuzz Probe and I'd estimate from the sounds of the gating you are losing about half of the tones available in that pedal especially the high gain ones, other fix is a passive bass.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='6917' date='May 25 2007, 11:47 PM']MI Audio have the Neo and GI fuzz with variable input bias I believe (Toasted?) which works in a similar manor,[/quote]

Steve, you know [b]ALOT[/b] more about this than me. The MI audio has a "load" knob where you can alter the input impedance to match with your instrument impedance to get the transistors to bias correctly.

Examples of standalone buffers would be the Lovepedal minibuffer, and the Radial Dragster. Do they not do the same job on the impedance tho? :)

[quote name='dr.funk' post='6714' date='May 25 2007, 06:34 PM']Can you not control the whammy by midi. If so you might be able to use a simple midi drum machine (assuming you could set the note values) to create an arrpregio which would sync to the tempo by using the tap button. I have been considering trying this with a rack fx unit and ableton live.[/quote]

Nope, only the whammy reissue is controllable via midi, so im outta luck there.

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='7210' date='May 26 2007, 05:13 PM']Agreed, lovely board Steve.

Bit shocked to see you replaced your Nebula though :)[/quote]

Still got it, just going to try the Subdecay out tomorrow at band practice, the nebula is great but the subdecay is completely different if you were a phaser freak you could easily have both on the same board.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='6917' date='May 25 2007, 11:47 PM']3 Processes what you've said and the 2 together as impedance can be changed passively like in a DI box but in my case there is some sort of active buffer changing the impedance.

The only separate impedance buffer I've found is one I had to have custom built after many years of struggling with fuzz's and active basses, Subdecay make a pedal called the flying tomato which has a 12k buffer and works fantastically with active basses, MI Audio have the Neo and GI fuzz with variable input bias I believe (Toasted?) which works in a similar manor, so they hard to get and generally custom built but they cost very little if you can get a stand alone unit (Which I have been unable to do even speaking to several custom pedal companies I'm very close with).

But yeah you are really clipping and gating that Fuzz Probe and I'd estimate from the sounds of the gating you are losing about half of the tones available in that pedal especially the high gain ones, other fix is a passive bass.[/quote]

You do raise a good issue regarding active basses and effects there, I've found that most of my pedals (especially the Digitech BSW) really don't get on with my Fleabass, rekon it's just that the signal is too hot from it?

This issue I've found interesting too... also, it may not make any sense at all, but my overdrive/fuzz pedal reacts better to my active fender if I leave my EBS multicomp on a low compression setting... :)

Edited by BigBassBob

[quote name='Toasted' post='6920' date='May 25 2007, 11:54 PM']Steve, you know [b]ALOT[/b] more about this than me. The MI audio has a "load" knob where you can alter the input impedance to match with your instrument impedance to get the transistors to bias correctly.

Examples of standalone buffers would be the Lovepedal minibuffer, and the Radial Dragster. Do they not do the same job on the impedance tho? :)[/quote]

That Radial Dragster looks interesting. I have a problem with my pickups being too loud and them clipping the front end of some pedals. Could this solve this problem? It's really noticeable when I play hard and it sounds really bad. My bass sometimes clips the front end of my amp too even with the gain all the way down and the pad on. My Ovation bass has an 18v preamp which is probably the problem. Don't have the same issues with my EMG loaded P-Bass.

Here is mine:

From the right to the left:

Dual True bypass box (One for the Murf and one for the Dod-Qtron-Bassballs chain)
Jam Pedals Dynassor Compressor
T-rex Bass Juice
Boss Tuner
DOD USA Stereo Flanger
Electro Harmonix Qtron
Electro Harmonix Bass Balls
MoogerFooger Bass Murf with the boss fs for tap tempo

I am planning to add a delay and replace the Qtron with a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter

Edited by fleamail

okay here we go

full signal path:

Musicman SUB Bass > WH-1 (Dry Out to low gain channel) > Loop (omega fuzz > metal zone) > SB-1 > UB-1 > VT-2 > 506II > CS100 > PS-3 > Torque 30w high gain channel

Edited by BassManKev