Why become a member? ×

When Love Comes To Town Bass Line???

thebrig

I know this is one of the simpler bass lines out there, but can anyone tell me how it really goes?

I hear it staying on bottom EE D E (octave) when the chords shift to A, and after watching Paul Wolfe's tutorial on his How To Play Bass channel, and one or two other versions on YouTube, they seem to confirm this, but when we played it for the first time tonight at rehearsal, everyone to a man said I was playing it wrong, BTW, I'm quite happy to shift to A if that's what they want.

So how do you guys play it?

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1468877929' post='3094050']
Just listened to it (well the first couple of mins). It stays on that same riff in E. As guitarist there ears are probably tuned to the root moving up a fourth as in twelve bar, just stick to your guns and don't move up to A!
[/quote]
Thanks M'Lord I probably will, but I would love to find the sheet music somewhere just to satisfy my curiosity. <_<

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1468879449' post='3094065']
I'd be surprised if anyone has bothered to publish a bass book with it in as it is so simple. just tell your bandmates to listen to it properly!
[/quote]
I did, and I said put some decent headphones on so you can hear the bass better. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1468880003' post='3094069']
Along with the "Why are you not playing?" in the verses of Alright Now. Guitarists think the bass and guitar always have to do same things. :D
[/quote]
We don't play this unless the audience demand it, but when we do, I always use it as an opportunity to order another drink during the verse, or make any adjustments that might need doing. ;)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468880836' post='3094078']
We don't play this unless the audience demand it, but when we do, I always use it as an opportunity to order another drink during the verse, or make any adjustments that might need doing. ;)
[/quote]A band i was in used to play Stairway. I used to go to the bar for a drink cos the bass doesn't come in for a couple of minutes!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468876673' post='3094032']
I know this is one of the simpler bass lines out there, but can anyone tell me how it really goes?

I hear it staying on bottom EE D E (octave) when the chords shift to A, and after watching Paul Wolfe's tutorial on his How To Play Bass channel, and one or two other versions on YouTube, they seem to confirm this, but when we played it for the first time tonight at rehearsal, everyone to a man said I was playing it wrong, BTW, I'm quite happy to shift to A if that's what they want.

So how do you guys play it?
[/quote]

You go on YouTube and pick a bass tutorial of the song "When Love Comes To Town" that sounds best to you.

Blue

Edited by blue

A fine example of nobody else in the band actually aware of what the bass player should be playing !

Although as pointed out above, there is one version where there is a change, if I remember rightly it's on the fade-out...
It's always a danger when just saying look it up on YouTube so whenever it's needed I'd always send the link to the actual specific version I'm listening to.
Bear in mind we're dealing with guitarists, singers and even, gods help us, drummers...

Edited by OddBass65

[quote name='OddBass65' timestamp='1468888304' post='3094122']
A fine example of nobody else in the band actually aware of what the bass player should be playing !

Although as pointed out above, there is one version where there is a change, if I remember rightly it's on the fade-out...
It's always a danger when just saying look it up on YouTube so whenever it's needed I'd always send the link to the actual specific version I'm listening to.
Bear in mind we're dealing with guitarists, singers and even, gods help us, drummers...
[/quote]
They are quoting me the Rattle & Hum version and from what I can hear, there definitely is no change in the bass when it shifts from E to A, the only time it does change is in the outro when it shifts back and forth in E & A.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1468886359' post='3094119']
This U2 version changes.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRHV-HWhqWQ[/media]

Make sure you're all listening to the same version of the song before you get together.
[/quote]I agree, it does change in this live version, but we were supposed to be working from the Rattle & Hum version, and the guitarist even went as far to say that he has all the isolated tracks of the song, although I doubt whether he's actually listened to the bass track properly, but quite honestly, I don't mind changing to A if thats what they want. :)

We had a guitarist who listened to the video instead of the version sent around by the singer. He'd put it through a weird bit of software to change the key. There was a magnificent train wreck when the song started in 2 keys, with each side claiming they were in the right key!

The Rattle and Hum version doesn't change. You're flexible, but I'd make a point of asking why they didn't know that and which version they really wanted to do.

I get charts through from our cover band leader and there's always wrong chords and arrangements. Guitarists!!

I always take youtube tutorials with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day it's going to be their interpretation of the song and it may or may not be "correct".

For me the recorded version sounds a bit more 'laxed but the live 1 with the changes sounds a bit more pushed along (it is quicker anyway but IMO following the chords amplifies this a little bit).

So I'd ask the band how they want it to sound or maybe mix the 2, worlds your oyster really! :happy:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1468915470' post='3094202']
We had a guitarist who listened to the video instead of the version sent around by the singer. He'd put it through a weird bit of software to change the key. There was a magnificent train wreck when the song started in 2 keys, with each side claiming they were in the right key!

The Rattle and Hum version doesn't change. You're flexible, but I'd make a point of asking why they didn't know that and which version they really wanted to do.

I get charts through from our cover band leader and there's always wrong chords and arrangements. Guitarists!!
[/quote]I bit the bullet and purchased the sheet music online, it was only a couple of quid, and there are definitely no changes in the Rattle & Hum version, I'm not one of those people who likes to say "I told you so", but if they say I'm playing it wrong again, I might just be tempted to get the sheet music out of my bag. B)

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1468917380' post='3094222']
I always take youtube tutorials with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day it's going to be their interpretation of the song and it may or may not be "correct".

For me the recorded version sounds a bit more 'laxed but the live 1 with the changes sounds a bit more pushed along (it is quicker anyway but IMO following the chords amplifies this a little bit).

So I'd ask the band how they want it to sound or maybe mix the 2, worlds your oyster really! :happy:
[/quote]I will probably end up changing along with the key if thats what they want, anything to keep the guitarists happy. :unsure:

• 11 months later...

* At the gig, play the song the way the others want you to play it.

* Wait for someone to come up to you afterwards and say 'Eck-skewse may, chief, yow played the baize loine rong'.

* Refer him to your band mates

* Observe events from a distance while sipping on a beverage of your choice