Why become a member? ×

Why are music stands not acceptable in guitar bands?

thebrig

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1473361680' post='3129525']
Just checking my most recent set list... 53 songs.

I take a music stand.
[/quote]

I bet you know those 53 songs like the back of your hand. Next time you gig, don't take the music stand. You'll astound yourself, with what an amazing memory you have. Live dangerously......you know you want to. ;)

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473362386' post='3129533']
I bet you know those 53 songs like the back of your hand. Next time you gig, don't take the music stand. You'll astound yourself, with what an amazing memory you have. Live dangerously......you know you want to. ;)
[/quote]

lol... I could probably manage most of them...

[quote name='dontregartha' timestamp='1473284721' post='3128789']

With you all the way there.

As the bass player in a seven piece Funk Band - apart from our keys player who must be some kind of octopus...! the bass player has a sh*t load of stuff to learn for a set.

But you have to learn it so you can then start to FEEL it and lock with the drummer. You can't do that if you're reading the dots or tabs.

Yeah a good horn player makes it come alive and I know they need the dots to work well together, but learning it is the only way.
[/quote]

Surely the idea is to get people up dancing, not watching the bass player to see if he or she is sight reading charts sitting on a music stand ?

If I sight read a chart, it has exactly the same feel, and is played as well as if I'd learned it.

All this is nonsense. The average attendee of a function couldn't care less if there are stands on the stage, as long as the music is good, and played correctly.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473361110' post='3129519']
If you haven't memorised the songs, then you lack commitment. Unless you have Alzheimer's, or are depping, there's no excuse
[/quote]

I'll be sure to tell my friend that. He's one of the bassists in the CBSO. And my friend who occasionally plays percussion for them.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1468063109' post='3088366']
when you have 5 stands ( for brass) on stage, that blocks out half the stage as bluejay says this messes up the view for everyone, and looks bad.

this looks pants,

Dont forget we are there to entertain, someone could take a photo at anytime and bluejay will capture you forrrreeeveerrrrrrrrrrr[size=2][size=3]rrrr[/size]r[/size][size=2]rrr[size=1]rrrrrrrr[/size][/size][size=1][size=5][size=4][size=5]....[/size]....[/size][/size][/size][size=1]........[/size] .
[/quote]

How is being able to see all of me, any less entertaining than only being able to see just my feet and the top half of me ?

You say you run a funk band, Surely the point of a funk band is to get people dancing ? When dancing do people generally stare at the musicians on the stage ?

It's the music that's important, that's all people dancing are bothered about.

And if it was OK with James Brown ? [attachment=227424:james_brown-1980-snl-12.jpg]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473373336' post='3129673']
Ha, Ha we're talking 3 min pop songs not Wagner's The Ring Cycle :)
[/quote]

Don't see it makes any difference, not all classical pieces are 20 minute long epics, listen to classic FM sometime. Even if they are, they're usually in sections.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473374273' post='3129691']
Don't see it makes any difference, not all classical pieces are 20 minute long epics, listen to classic FM sometime. Even if they are, they're usually in sections.
[/quote]

Sheet music has more than just the chords, harmonies and melodies, it also has indications of musical expression, [color=#252525][font=sans-serif]dynamic indications, such as forte or piano, phrasing, [/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]differing qualities of timbre and articulation, color, intensity, energy and excitement. W[/font][/color]hich is useful when playing with a large orchestra and with little time for extended rehearsals. Classical, orchestral, music is meant to be played as the composer intended, with very little room for individual expression. This is why a professional, classical musician, needs sheet music and Nigel Bloggs, playing Oasis covers down The Pig and Whistle doesn't.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473375394' post='3129709']
Sheet music has more than just the chords, harmonies and melodies, it also has indications of musical expression, [color=#252525][font=sans-serif]dynamic indications, such as forte or piano, phrasing, [/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]differing qualities of timbre and articulation, color, intensity, energy and excitement. W[/font][/color]hich is useful when playing with a large orchestra and with little time for extended rehearsals. Classical, orchestral, music is meant to be played as the composer intended, with very little room for individual expression. This is why a professional, classical musician, needs sheet music and Nigel Bloggs, playing Oasis covers down The Pig and Whistle doesn't.
[/quote]

I'm well aware of what sheet music has :).

I'm also not really referring to Oasis covers down the local. Most of the discussion on this page seems to refer to funk and function band gigs. I have to say, I haven't read the whole thread though, I've not had time, mainly because I had a gig tonight, music stand, charts and all.

I don't see the problem, in a function band type gig, in having music on stage. I'm happy to say that neither do the bands that I play for.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473374129' post='3129690']
How is being able to see all of me, any less entertaining than only being able to see just my feet and the top half of me ?

You say you run a funk band, Surely the point of a funk band is to get people dancing ? When dancing do people generally stare at the musicians on the stage ?

It's the music that's important, that's all people dancing are bothered about.

And if it was OK with James Brown ? [attachment=227424:james_brown-1980-snl-12.jpg]
[/quote]in that case why bother shelling out for a band, wouldn't a disco do the job for a lot less money? I have a little saying, "if the band don't look like they're enjoying it how can you expect the audience too" if you're standing there motionless staring at sheet music you are not interacting with your audience at all, in my opinion of course

IMO it says that one doesn't know or hasn't rehearsed or can't remember the material or form of the songs. Unless its very complex, this can't be good and one is not going to play or look too confident. Jazz/classical aside where memory aids can make things better because of the feat of it. But rock/pop surely not.......!

LD

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1473372529' post='3129666']
Yes. If reading music somehow interferes with the groove, it's because you suck at reading.
[/quote]

As a non-reader myself I'm quite happy to be told that this is the case, but for yer average pub rock band (like wot I play in mainly) there's more to it than the musical groove.

It's essential to interact with your fellow band members, and with the audience, and to appear to be having a great time even if you're not.

Eyes and teeth, boys, eye and teeth!

If we all spend the gig either staring at our fretting hand or - even worse - staring at bits of paper, then no one will be listening to our groove. They will, quite rightly, assume that we are as dull as we look and take their custom elsewhere.

YMMV of course.

I'm not ashamed to use a stand if it's needed. I also feel like they don't look proper Rock&Roll on stage but they're a tool for a job, like a tuner (would people judge you as a bad musician if they see you using a machine to tune your instrument instead of using your ears?).
I've done it in situations where i was dep'ing for another bass player or i was getting together with old bands for that occasional reunion gig. I allways knew the songs of my current bands from memory and don't/didn't need a stand but there are gigs where you can't just simply memorize/remember a 40+ songs setlist in less than one week.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1473418179' post='3130001']
I'm not ashamed to use a stand if it's needed. I also feel like they don't look proper Rock&Roll on stage but they're a tool for a job, like a tuner (would people judge you as a bad musician if they see you using a machine to tune your instrument instead of using your ears?).
I've done it in situations where i was dep'ing for another bass player or i was getting together with old bands for that occasional reunion gig. I allways knew the songs of my current bands from memory and don't/didn't need a stand but there are gigs where you can't just simply memorize/remember a 40+ songs setlist in less than one week.
[/quote]that's fair enough, I'd use one if anybody was silly enough to ask me to dep for them

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1473419405' post='3130029']
Regarding the obstruction of the audience subject. Here's a pic of a gig i was dep'ing last weekend. There's no need to have the stand in front of me, i just use it to take a look at the chords or tab before a song. It's not in the way of anything.

BTW, that was a Rock band. ;)
[/quote]

What a beautiful setting for a gig...music stand or no... B)

I finally got round to watching the Glastonbury coverage I'd saved off iPlayer yesterday. Surprised to see Glenn Tilbrook with an iPad on stage. I don't think I've ever seen a pro band with music stands / tablets etc on stage.

https://youtu.be/5u5rc-JuAeA

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1473451310' post='3130435']
I finally got round to watching the Glastonbury coverage I'd saved off iPlayer yesterday. Surprised to see Glenn Tilbrook with an iPad on stage. I don't think I've ever seen a pro band with music stands / tablets etc on stage.

https://youtu.be/5u5rc-JuAeA
[/quote]

Maybe go on a cruise. I played on one for a summer 5 years ago. It was sight reading every night for the whole band.

Have a look at the photo of James Brown's band that was posted last night.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473454370' post='3130459']

Maybe go on a cruise. I played on one for a summer 5 years ago. It was sight reading every night for the whole band.

Have a look at the photo of James Brown's band that was posted last night.
[/quote]

The difference here is original material.

I've been on many cruises and have indeed seen cruise bands sight reading.

I've also seen Squeeze live several times and have never seen them (or any other 'famous' band playing their own songs) using a tablet or music stand before.

I can't deny James Brown's legendary status but still doesn't alter the fact that in my humble opinion music stands have no place on a rock/pop etc bands stage.