Why become a member? ×

Definitely converted

ubit

I was in guitar guitar in Glasgow the other day. The car was getting a service and I thought what better to waste the time than spending ages in a guitar shop.
After a long time perusing, I decided to try out a couple. ( I generally avoid this because I find my mind goes blank and I can't remember fancy licks to impress anyone listening)
I seen a blue Ric 4003 hanging and thought , I have never tried one. At least not for about 25 years. I was blown away. I've heard folks knock them, but this was a lovely bass. The super high gloss fingerboard was a bit disconcerting at first, but I think I could certainly get used to that. I am officially converted because I never liked the look of them, although grudgingly,the blue was the one colour I liked.
I can now say I am definitely a fan. There is a nice range of sounds and the finish was lovely. Definite GAS !

I hear you man. I tired a 74' 4001 18 months ago in a local shop, thinking that they're twangy odd looking things and thought i'd never get on with them, that bass sound and vibe really stuck with me.....so recently i bought a 1975 4001 - and....simply amazing!

I say this every time when folks talk about the 4003 - Make sure you try playing in a standing position before committing your hard-earned. That's what buggered me up. Spent over an hour with one in the gallery (on a stool), bought it, took it on a gig and couldn't play it. Lack of arm chamfer was physically painful. Also the songs in the band at the time required the use of a pick, and even with the bridge pickup cover removed, I was still catching the pick on the pickup surround, which stands proud of the body. Sold it within 2 weeks of buying.

I'm a finger player and commented to the boy in the shop that the cover was right over my sweet spot for fingering.....erm playing. He said most folks remove it, which I would obviously do myself anyway. Never tried it with a pick, but I think you could get this problem with any guitar if you have the pickups too high.

Arm chamfer is very important right enough. It is a bit of a slab I will take this advice on board. I'm not exactly in a position to buy at the moment anyway, so lots of time to think on it.

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1466082917' post='3073248']
I was in guitar guitar in Glasgow the other day. The car was getting a service and I thought what better to waste the time than spending ages in a guitar shop.
After a long time perusing, I decided to try out a couple. ( I generally avoid this because I find my mind goes blank and I can't remember fancy licks to impress anyone listening)
I seen a blue Ric 4003 hanging and thought , I have never tried one. At least not for about 25 years. I was blown away. I've heard folks knock them, but this was a lovely bass. The super high gloss fingerboard was a bit disconcerting at first, but I think I could certainly get used to that. I am officially converted because I never liked the look of them, although grudgingly,the blue was the one colour I liked.
I can now say I am definitely a fan. There is a nice range of sounds and the finish was lovely. Definite GAS !
[/quote]This happened to me at the Epsom branch and my wallet was the sorrier for it,

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/513d22b9-b781-4121-8e31-0bd18dc8c43e_zpsqhjmsedo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/513d22b9-b781-4121-8e31-0bd18dc8c43e_zpsqhjmsedo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1466169541' post='3073840'] This happened to me at the Epsom branch and my wallet was the sorrier for it, [URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/513d22b9-b781-4121-8e31-0bd18dc8c43e_zpsqhjmsedo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/513d22b9-b781-4121-8e31-0bd18dc8c43e_zpsqhjmsedo.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [/quote]

I adore the S version. If I was going to buy a Ric it would be an S. or a 4004 :)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1466171466' post='3073856']
I think they are, by a country mile, the ugliest.musical instrument ever assembled.

But here's the thing:

They sound absolutely AWESOME! That Ricky sound is massive, just kills me, and if you add a pinch of fuzz? Goodnight!

[/quote]

That was exactly my take on it mate. The sounds have definitely sold me.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1466172139' post='3073869']
Yeah I'm on the fence too...
[/quote]I wanted to just check that my original opinion of Rics still held true when I decided to try the one above, that they were nasty, unplayable things. I was sold within minutes. There are better built, better looking and, dependent on your opinion, better sounding basses out there, but once I put in on a strap and plugged it in, there was no going back for me.

I think I could deal with the slab body. After all, the original P basses were the same, indeed, I have a Cabronita which emulates the original P and it's definitely playable.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1466179902' post='3073946']
I wanted to just check that my original opinion of Rics still held true when I decided to try the one above, that they were nasty, unplayable things. I was sold within minutes. There are better built, better looking and, dependent on your opinion, better sounding basses out there, but once I put in on a strap and plugged it in, there was no going back for me.
[/quote]

When Mrs C dragged me along to latitude festival last year I saw a number of live bands for the first time in a while. Far and away the best bass sound was the guy from the vaccines... Utterly thunderous low end yet clear and barky. Stuck my head in the tent to see what the guy was playing and much to my surprise it was a ric... Sounded huge.

Slab body and binding kills it for me, the bridge pickup/cover design is just mental and entirely unnecessary. Why that has never been redesigned, with the same aesthetics but completely removable, escapes me.

The 4004 interests me much more, but I have never had chance to try one.

I briefly had a 4004cii before the 4003. It was a 2013 I think. Didn't feel like a £1600 bass, hated the Humbuckers....you certainly don't get the Rick bite unless you're prepared to have a new harness installed. It was easier to play without the binding but the sound deficiency made that pointless for me.

Edited by martthebass