Why become a member? ×

NBD - Xotic XJ-1T 5

Sibob

In my quest to get down to 3 basses that all get used a lot, I wanted to add a Jazz 5 to my arsenal, after selling my medium scale Japanese jazz.
I tried a few, but kept coming back to the Xotic range, fairly rarely seen over here, they're getting a decent following now, and for good reason I think.

I was drawn to them primarily for the preamp, a musical 3 band with a tone control that works in both active and passive mode. To my ears the active sound is simply an augmented version of the passive sound, as opposed to a totally different animal, a feature I really appreciated on the Fodera MGS I had.

This is the 'Lightweight' version of the XJ-1T5, a very slightly slimmer body, a slimmer neck profile, 18mm spacing, hipshot ultralite tuners (which come on the standard model actually), and a lighter Hipshot bridge.
Currently, I believe this is the only bass that has this spec, the combination of the 'lightweight' model, the Electrum Magnetic finish (kinda a vintage Shoreline gold vibe), and a rosewood fingerboard.

Another reason for pushing me towards the Xotic was how easy it was to deal with Toshio at Xotic, as well as Mark et al at Bass Direct.

So after the Shuker sells (please buy it), I'll be down to my '71 Precision, Maruszczyk custom Jake & the Xotic......what a trio!

Si

These look so nice. BD have a pink Xotic, since selling my shell pink P bass, I've had a hankering for another outrageous coloured bass. How is the pre? I like all the options you can get for frequency selection.

Edited by M@23

I believe the frequency select switches are removed on the Lightweight models only, believe they're internal dip switches. This is a 2016 model.
The bridge is a Hipshot I believe.

Yeah the burgundy mist model is cool, it's an older model I think (before the script headstock decal). It's also the 24 fret model, whereas the standard XJ-1T is 22 frets.

I went for the lightweight because a lot of my gigs are 2+ hours, no time for a 10lbs bass anymore :)

Si

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1463573229' post='3052421']
How do these compare with the Fodera basses?
[/quote]

In what way specifically? It's a little like asking for a comparison between a Mike Lull bass and Adamovic basses......there's some similarities and there are some differences lol.
I feel that it's going to fairly closely compare with Foderas older 'NYC' models, which were built in Japan (same as Xotic), basically really really good 'Super Jazzes'.

That said, one of the big reasons I went for the Xotic was how good the the preamp is, and how similar it is in layout and vibe to the Fodera/Pope circuit I had in my Matt Garrison Standard. Useable 3-band EQ, tone control that works across active & passive, pan control and a volume. I come from largely playing a passive Precision bass, so any active circuit needs to sound musical, be intuitive and simply put, not get in the way of playing.

Si

Either that is a flattering or classy pic or the bass just looks great.

I haven't had a real close look at them but that looks very pretty.
The dark 'RW' board really sets it off.

I was looking for a Fender Bridge swap out and need to to be top-loaded and option of string through the body,
plus 4 retaining screws... i,e a direct drop in for am Am Dlx 5st bridge.
I'm not a fan of the basic plate bridges in general that Fender tend to favour, but the deal breaker forcing the change
is lack of top load ability.

I'll check out Hipshot bridges.

Lovely stuff. I'm not a fan of active basses, but I tried several Xotic basses in Japan a few years ago and, besides being wonderful to play, the preamp had what I can only describe as an integral feel - it didn't change or sit on top of the passive tone, but rather expanded it. I'm still a passive guy, but I have a Tri-Logic II and a Tri-Logic III preamp pedals working their magic on my pedal boards.

Sibob - it was just out of curiosity from moving from Fodera (arguable the most expensive new basses out there....or one of) to a nice but not crazy priced Super Jazz.

I have an Xotic guitar pedal, and I will be buying more. I'm shocked the company isn't more popular.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463579467' post='3052504']
Either that is a flattering or classy pic or the bass just looks great.

I haven't had a real close look at them but that looks very pretty.
The dark 'RW' board really sets it off.

I was looking for a Fender Bridge swap out and need to to be top-loaded and option of string through the body,
plus 4 retaining screws... i,e a direct drop in for am Am Dlx 5st bridge.
I'm not a fan of the basic plate bridges in general that Fender tend to favour, but the deal breaker forcing the change
is lack of top load ability.

I'll check out Hipshot bridges.
[/quote]

The dark rosewood is definitely a feature that added to be looking to purchase it, i really dislike washed out looked rosewood, to the point of when ordering my Maruszczyk Jake bass, I specified the rosewood to be as dark as possible :).
Dave Swift was at Bass Direct when I purchased the bass, and he also commented on the darkness of the board.
Yeah, I think Hipshot are probably making the best bridges around at the moment, wish I'd specced one on my Maruszczyk build lol

Si

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1463581662' post='3052539']
A tone pot that works in active mode is a cool idea, how does it work in practice? Does it respond in active as it does in passive? The 2k 5 string jazz market has so many great instruments to choose from.
[/quote]

To my ears it responds in a very similar way, that said, I imagine it's going to inherently respond differently in Active mode as you attenuate the EQ more and more.

Si

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1463582308' post='3052543']
Lovely stuff. I'm not a fan of active basses, but I tried several Xotic basses in Japan a few years ago and, besides being wonderful to play, the preamp had what I can only describe as an integral feel - it didn't change or sit on top of the passive tone, but rather expanded it. I'm still a passive guy, but I have a Tri-Logic II and a Tri-Logic III preamp pedals working their magic on my pedal boards.
[/quote]

This is a really great way of describing the preamp, and I know exactly what you mean, I'm coming from playing my passive '71 Precision on most of my gigs/projects, so a preamp that isn't intrusive is really important!

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1463586466' post='3052595']
Sibob - it was just out of curiosity from moving from Fodera (arguable the most expensive new basses out there....or one of) to a nice but not crazy priced Super Jazz.

I have an Xotic guitar pedal, and I will be buying more. I'm shocked the company isn't more popular.
[/quote]

It sounds like you're having a similar journey to me perhaps :)
All I can tell you is that after owning this and a Fodera MGS, they are different basses, but this Xotic has me very happy, as happy as I was playing the Fodera :)

Si

Gorgeous, I was GASsing after the Surf Green model!! Quick question, the lightweight models don't have the 'HRI' hum reducer. But is that a problem? With the Xotic build quality I can't imagine that it would be...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1463582308' post='3052543']
[/quote]

Yeah, I recently got a Tri-Logic ll and it's great. My passive Jazz still sounds passive but the Tri-Logic makes it a bit bigger and the mid control is lovely.

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1463602846' post='3052796']
Gorgeous, I was GASsing after the Surf Green model!! Quick question, the lightweight models don't have the 'HRI' hum reducer. But is that a problem? With the Xotic build quality I can't imagine that it would be...
[/quote]

The HRI feature is a costed option (an extra $150, although is included on the 6 string it seems). I'm not aware that mine has the HRI, didn't think anything of it, two gigs in and it's been silent to my ears! :)

Si

• 5 weeks later...