Why become a member? ×

The Stone Roses - new single

Marvin

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463212168' post='3049506']
I've never been able to understand why this band are so incredibly popular.
[/quote]

Awful. A dirge, like all their other stuff IMO.

But I am a bit of an old fart in my musical tastes.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1463300175' post='3050191']
If that's Reni playing drums on the new song I'll eat my chorus pedal.
[/quote]

I know what you mean - I'm fine with the riff and the vocals and simple lyrics, but it sounds like the rhythm section from a different band - not very Stone Roses at all :(

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1463301950' post='3050215']

I know what you mean - I'm fine with the riff and the vocals and simple lyrics, but it sounds like the rhythm section from a different band - not very Stone Roses at all :(
[/quote]
The biggest attraction of the Stone Roses for me was their sense of groove, which is totally missing from the new song.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463212168' post='3049506']
I've never been able to understand why this band are so incredibly popular.
[/quote]

Because when they are good they are brilliant, but when they are bad they are terrible. They've written some fantastic tunes that captured the zeitgeist of a particular time.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1463300044' post='3050190']
I liked it. But I liked Second Coming more than their debut... *ducks*
[/quote]

I think they are both great albums, just from two different bands.

I actually ended band rehearsals early for the lads to get in my car and whack on the radio loud whilst driving for a few pints (I didn't drive back before you ask!).

I like it. The best parts for me are the Squire guitar parts (on form as usual) and the pre-chorus.

It has clearly been written for their upcoming gigs to have a new anthem, and fair play.

I absolutely understand why people don't like bands or styles, but for me the Roses are more than just a band, it's a whole movement of music. Why are they so popular? Because so many bands keep referencing them as major influences.

I've only lived in Manchester for a year now, but I've realised I should have been here ages ago.

Dull... or, rather, the whole thing has been done to death since they called it a day. Disappointing but I didn't expect much else.

Ian Brown has always been an end of a bell too, if you know what I mean.

I was a student in Manc for most of 1990 - 1995, and of that whole "Madchester" scene they had some of the more interesting/proggy output. Unlike this.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1463422673' post='3051264']
A mate of mine mentioned The Seahorses the other day, so walking home today I put it on for the first time in absolute years. Most of the songs on there, frankly, are better than the new Roses tune.
[/quote]

Chris Helme works in Gear4Music now, he sold me a DOD Meatbox the other day.