Why become a member? ×

Prices falling???.Not if your lucky!!

bassmanady

The relative aspects of the supply and demand equation. When the money supply is in short supply people will exercise a great deal more selectivity in their decisions and acquisitions. Prices are falling for mass-produced instruments that are in ready supply, but are proving more resilient for handmade and vintage instruments.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='292577' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:28 AM']The relative aspects of the supply and demand equation. When the money supply is in short supply people will exercise a great deal more selectivity in their decisions and acquisitions. Prices are falling for mass-produced instruments that are in ready supply, but are proving more resilient for handmade and vintage instruments.[/quote]

Exactly what I thought or to put it another way +1

[quote name='bassmanady' post='292515' date='Sep 26 2008, 10:17 AM']I say good luck to the player who sold his Overwater Progress 3 5 string(36" scale neck) on ebay last night...with just 2 bidders bidding it up to £1400...which is probally a fair price i hear all you Overwater owners say :huh:[/quote]
I have just been stung by this - my gorgeous Fireglo Rick 4001 has just gone unsold on eBay despite me setting price at £899, £100-plus below where they have been selling for and roughly two-thirds the price of a new one despite it being 'vintage'.

Problem is I had already pre-emptively spent a large chunk of the planned 'proceeds' on another Forumite's Jazz bass - oops, just hope Mrs Clarky doesn't notice :)

PS. What were the 20 "watchers" doing then? Suppose they were other Rick owners trying to see what they could get for theirs????

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='292761' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:36 PM']I have just been stung by this - my gorgeous Fireglo Rick 4001 has just gone unsold on eBay despite me setting price at £899, £100-plus below where they have been selling for and roughly two-thirds the price of a new one despite it being 'vintage'.

Problem is I had already pre-emptively spent a large chunk of the planned 'proceeds' on another Forumite's Jazz bass - oops, just hope Mrs Clarky doesn't notice :)

PS. What were the 20 "watchers" doing then? Suppose they were other Rick owners trying to see what they could get for theirs????[/quote]

Exactly what happened with my Trace :huh:

[quote name='Clarky' post='292761' date='Sep 26 2008, 01:36 PM']PS. What were the 20 "watchers" doing then? Suppose they were other Rick owners trying to see what they could get for theirs????[/quote]

You know what it's like: After an hour spent on the 'Bay here, and across the pond, you've got an even baker's dozen of nice finds flagged to watch. Of course, next time you get back to the 'Bay, you've forgotten two-thirds of what you saw last time, and you're already on your way to the next baker's dozen.

It hate to say it - getting that alarmist vibe running - but the trending of last year and this one is reminding me of the mid to late 80s, when the arse fell out of some sectors of the economy, including the trade in customer-used musical gear.

[quote name='Clarky' post='292761' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:36 PM']I have just been stung by this - my gorgeous Fireglo Rick 4001 has just gone unsold on eBay despite me setting price at £899, £100-plus below where they have been selling for and roughly two-thirds the price of a new one despite it being 'vintage'.

[b]PS. What were the 20 "watchers" doing then?[/b] Suppose they were other Rick owners trying to see what they could get for theirs????[/quote]

Well I don't know about the other 19 :huh: but I was watching as I know someone looking for a vintage Ric who has a bass that I want... problem is I hadn't been able to contact him before your auction ended (and still haven't)!

[quote name='KevB' post='292598' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:53 AM']Or the owner didn't think it was going to sell, got 2 of his mates to bid it up and thus artificially inflate the final price. Will be intersting to see if it goes back on eBay in the next month or two. Just call me cynical...[/quote]

Why on earth would you do that? It just means you have to pay ebay 10% or whatever the percentage demanded as final value fee of what you didn't actually make on the bass.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='292853' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:42 PM']Why on earth would you do that? It just means you have to pay ebay 10% or whatever the percentage demanded as final value fee of what you didn't actually make on the bass.[/quote]

No you don't... ebay trick #42.

You agree not to complete the sale and eBay just take your listing fee. You can of course relist it but using the same friend(s) to do this regularly gets one/both/all of you banned!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='292840' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:24 PM']Well I don't know about the other 19 :huh: but I was watching as I know someone looking for a vintage Ric who has a bass that I want... problem is I hadn't been able to contact him before your auction ended (and still haven't)![/quote]
Aha, one of the 19 explained!

If you catch your mate, I will throw in the silver OHSC from my 4003MG/BT (newly de-tobacco'ed and in great nick) on top, all for the princely sum of £899 (case wan't included on the eBay auction and is worth >£100)

Cheers mate.

PS, do you do stints as a Dave Grohl impersonator (based on Avatar)? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='292862' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:48 PM']No you don't... ebay trick #42.

You agree not to complete the sale and eBay just take your listing fee. You can of course relist it but using the same friend(s) to do this regularly gets one/both/all of you banned![/quote]

That's completely dishonest and reprehensible, but nevertheless fantastic simply because it's one in the eye for ebay.

[quote name='Clarky' post='292877' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:55 PM']Aha, one of the 19 explained!

If you catch your mate, I will throw in the silver OHSC from my 4003MG/BT (newly de-tobacco'ed and in great nick) on top, all for the princely sum of £899 (case wan't included on the eBay auction and is worth >£100)

Cheers mate.

PS, do you do stints as a Dave Grohl impersonator (based on Avatar)? :)[/quote]

I'm still trying to contact him and if your Ric floats his boat then we'll see what we can do.

re. the avatar pic - one more comment on BC and I will be considering contacting a 'lookeelikee' agency for work... of course I've now shaved so that'd have to grow back :huh:

There's one on now for BIN £995. Not the same one is it?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Progress-3-deluxe-5-string-Bass-and-case_W0QQitemZ110293043233QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110293043233&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Progress-3...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='292946' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:06 PM']I'm still trying to contact him and if your Ric floats his boat then we'll see what we can do.

re. the avatar pic - one more comment on BC and I will be considering contacting a 'lookeelikee' agency for work... of course I've now shaved so that'd have to grow back :)[/quote]

It could be worse. Imagine if everyone said you looked like Peter Sutcliffe

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='293043' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:49 PM']There's one on now for BIN £995. Not the same one is it?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Progress-3-deluxe-5-string-Bass-and-case_W0QQitemZ110293043233QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110293043233&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Progress-3...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url][/quote]No thats mine,which i have had for sale on here for a few weeks with no luck...i dont think i will be lucky enough to get 2 bidders again like the one mentioned..but IMO i am not too sure about the bidding on the other one just running away like that,seemed a bit iffy to me as already mentioned...but of course may be wrong

Edited by bassmanady

I thought I'd struggle to sell my 18-year old Thumb bass considering the current climate but I did - and for £1000 (via The Gallery) which after their 15% comission was actually what I was hoping for £850... good quality instruments are a good investment me thinks.

M

[quote name='bassmanady' post='293057' date='Sep 26 2008, 08:03 PM']No thats mine,which i have had for sale on here for a few weeks with no luck...i dont think i will be lucky enough to get 2 bidders again like the one mentioned..but IMO i am not too sure about the bidding on the other one just running away like that,seemed a bit iffy to me as already mentioned...but of course may be wrong[/quote]

Small world!

[quote name='urb' post='293064' date='Sep 26 2008, 08:10 PM']I thought I'd struggle to sell my 18-year old Thumb bass considering the current climate but I did - and for £1000 (via The Gallery) which after their 15% comission was actually what I was hoping for £850... good quality instruments are a good investment me thinks.

M[/quote]

I've got a similarly aged Thumb and I'd be seriously tempted to sell through a shop if I could achieve that price but 360 miles makes a big difference :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bassmanady' post='320315' date='Nov 2 2008, 05:46 PM']I see this is back on ebay again...the overseas bidder pulled out on paying the £1400...so not so good after all.[/quote]

Yeah, or that's what he said.

I saw this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-edb-710-bass_W0QQitemZ200269564258QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200269564258&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]Ibanez freakbass[/url] that was relisted after being won for £140 by one bidder.

I think the "unforseen circumstances" are pretty obvious. There's a lot of it about. Obviously I could be completely wrong and the lister could have been stiffed by the bidder.

I agree that at the moment good stuff is maintaining its value where the middle level stuff is dropping off.

Edited by Sean

As far as I can tell (some) bass prices are dropping faster than house prices!

I was watching a couple of Hohner Jacks on t'bay last week. Not mind blowing basses, but perfectly good instrument. 6 months ago you'd be looking at £180 - 240 ish, but neither of these two went above £80, and neither reached the reserve.

I am trying to find a Musicman between £500 and £600. I have been told that a few have been grabbed for these prices, even one for £499. Still, I am struggling to find one at this price and they all seem to be selling at around £680 to £800. So not sure if prices are dropping that much just yet, I think you just need to be lucky at the moment.