Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1463603236' post='3052799']
Approx £540. That is a very fine price for what looks like a nice piece of kit.
[/quote]

Yep - especially as it's hand-built. You can feel the quality, and the lack of compromises. Looking forward to getting mine :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1463642106' post='3052951']
I don't - probably best to drop Leszek a mail. I'm in no hurry for mine, 'cos I've got this one :-)
[/quote]

I assume you're sending that one back when the new one gets here? What are the chances they'll let it stay in the UK to be sent round to a few basschatters to try out? Looks very interesting :)

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1463683831' post='3053396']
I assume you're sending that one back when the new one gets here? What are the chances they'll let it stay in the UK to be sent round to a few basschatters to try out? Looks very interesting :)
[/quote]

It's been mentioned as a possibility. I think it would be a good idea.

I'll mention it. Geoff, you're welcome to pick it up at any time (assuming I'm not gigging. Cold, dead hands, etc :-))

In the meantime, they've just posted a video for the 120 tube version (looks like exactly the same pre). Me want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWzbF9BHjk

OK... I've had this for about six weeks now - I've had lots of time to really give this a run out, and I'm still as impress as I was when I got it... my Walkabout hasn't seen the light of day since it landed!

Build quality is absolutely top notch (externally, and fit'n'finish anyhow - I know nowt about electronics and that, but it looks tidy inside). The soft case is practical and well-made.

My initial comment about it picking up a bit more noise than my Walkabout is a non-issue. There's a lot of bottles in it, so if I crank it, and sit facing the amp less than 12" away, it'll hum a bit.,. no surprise there. But in any practical situation - a gig (even a quiet gig) or recording in the house right next to it, it's absolutely quiet.

The DI is beautiful - I've recorded with it, and run the line to the desk to couple shows with big posh PAs, and the engineers have loved it. Hopefully it comes across in some of the clips I've recorded.

And the tone.. it's just 'there'. Clear, rich and authoritative (I'll not say the 'H' word) - the detail I get using flats is fab... the woody growl shines through, and it really responds when you dig in. Keep the input low (lower than you would on most other heads) and it'll stay clean. Crank it a bit, and it'll get a little hairy around the edges, and then you're into fuzz territory.

I've found that the output knob tends to be dialled a little higher than other heads I've used. According to Leszek: 'We use linear potentiometers, other companies use audio potentiometers. If you set the Gain knob and Volume in the center position (12 o'clock) R-400 is actuated on ~55% of the power. In other amps when Gain and Volume are on center, they are actuated ~33%. I prefer use these potentiometers because in my opinion amp is more faster, impulsive.'. The output knob definitely keeps delivering as you get around to the dusty end. I've had the optical compressor light flicker once or twice toward the end of a set, but that was with an 8-ohm cab. Apparently it's just doing it's job. I've got no worries about headroom... but then it's a 400w amp, so there's no reason I should..!

Best amp I've ever owned*. There. I said it. And it's not even expensive.

[size=3]*I don't actually own it yet. Mine is being built, 'cos I want a different colour. Yeah, I know.[/size]

Everything points to this being a cracking piece of kit WOT. Great to read of your good experience with it.

I'm due to road test one of these amps myself and very much looking forward to it. It should be arriving at my place this week, hopefully in time for me to take it along to the Herts Bash, so that BC'ers can give it the once over. :)

The courier has just delivered.

Rather than clutter up this thread, I will start a NAD thread of my own. I feel that a new one is relevant, given that WOT and I use different cabs and instruments.

I'll spend a bit of time getting acquainted with the settings this afternoon and then get posting :)

Please be aware that this amp will for the foreseeable, be connected to a Barefaced cab. :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464873588' post='3063371']
Ooh! Ooh!

What colour / style is it?
[/quote]

Same as yours, in the rather fetching orange. Fortuitous really, it's a colour that my wife loves, so there won't be any nagging if I keep it in the lounge for a while :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464876627' post='3063417']
Fab!

As it happens, the postman has just been here too. And left me one of these...

What a beast... I'll use it on Saturday night.
[/quote]

Another fully detailed report on this please Wot.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464876627' post='3063417']
Fab!

As it happens, the postman has just been here too. And left me one of these...

What a beast... I'll use it on Saturday night.
[/quote]

Wow, that is a fine looking amp :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1464885889' post='3063558']
It's quite similar , spec wise , to my Ampeg SVT6 Pro which also sounds monsterous ! looks like it has selctable mid frequencies with cut and boost ?
Sweet looking amp.
[/quote]

Yeah.. I need to spend a bit of time with the knobs and switches. I'm not sure what they all do yet..!

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bassforum/hb/rfsheet.pdf"]Here's a bit of blurb about it...[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464886391' post='3063567']

Yeah.. I need to spend a bit of time with the knobs and switches. I'm not sure what they all do yet..!

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bassforum/hb/rfsheet.pdf"]Here's a bit of blurb about it...[/url]
[/quote]

Such a pity it's only 500W per side. If it was 800W, I'd probably grab one. Sound samples please!