Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

I had the pleasure yesterday of hearing andyonbass (of this parish) playing his ACG 5-er (with fretted neck) into an R400 and two TKS 1x12 cabs. I could clearly hear every note, without the bass guitar being silly loud, so that's a big plus in my book. I went for a closer look in the break, and I particularly like the clip-on front cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Those 2x10" cabs further up the page are unusual - I don't think I've seen whizzer-cone drivers used together with a tweeter before. Usually whizzer-cones are used to extend the range of the driver upwards a bit without the complexity and expense of using multiple drivers with a crossover, so both together seems like a quirky choice.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1474453430' post='3138074']
Those 2x10" cabs further up the page are unusual - I don't think I've seen whizzer-cone drivers used together with a tweeter before. Usually whizzer-cones are used to extend the range of the driver upwards a bit without the complexity and expense of using multiple drivers with a crossover, so both together seems like a quirky choice.
[/quote]

I believe Accugroove did it with their 2x10 but I haven't seen anyone else do it....

I've got the Red Fighter now (it was delivered about half hour ago) and I will be taking it to the bash along with a pair of Hartke Hydrives (410 & 210), so you can try it then. The sound matrix illustration that Michael provided above explains what the knobbage does; I'll experiment a bit tonight.
Paul

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1474529190' post='3138536']
I've been punting my R-400 around locally (I'm not letting it go for longer!), and Leszek has sent another out 'darn sarf' for trial, but I think someone bought that one.
[/quote]

Hi, I bought the other. It's a pretty cool amp but I'm finding that my active basses really hit the input hard and the gain is on next to nothing for a clean tone. This affects output volume. there is no input pad on these amps. Passive instruments seem to deal better with the gain stage. I'm playing around with input valves to try and drop the gain a bit. I also agree the DI is very nice. I haven't really used it in anger yet but will do in the next few weeks.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1474984502' post='3142039']
Hi, I bought the other. It's a pretty cool amp but I'm finding that my active basses really hit the input hard and the gain is on next to nothing for a clean tone. This affects output volume. there is no input pad on these amps. Passive instruments seem to deal better with the gain stage. I'm playing around with input valves to try and drop the gain a bit. I also agree the DI is very nice. I haven't really used it in anger yet but will do in the next few weeks.
[/quote]

Ah, that's a shame - I only run passives so it's never been a problem for me. Hope you sort it!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1476632422' post='3155801']
Hey gang

The Red Fighter head is currently down in Berkshire (Bracknell / Farnborough-ish) - would anyone local to there like to babysit it for a bit, just for fun?

Let me know if you do...
[/quote]

If it works its way north via Warwick I'll give her a warm welcome!

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1476661801' post='3156158']
If it works its way north via Warwick I'll give her a warm welcome!
[/quote]
[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1476644491' post='3155953']
If it makes its way further south I'll give it a temporary home!
[/quote]

I'll keep you both in mind - ta!