Why become a member? ×

Advice on changing from Markbass to TC Electronic...

lastanthem88

Hi all, I've been gigging with a markbass combo cmd102p for about 5 years now. It's awesome, light, and I generally love the sounds I can get from it.

If at all possible, I'd like to go even smaller and lighter than the Markbass... and I've seen the TC electronic combo, the RS210C.

Every time we gig, I'm D'ID into our Pa (QSC gear) so really the amp becomes my on stage monitor. We play weddings generally, anything from 100 - 300 people.

Could anybody advise me on...

1) How the amps compare in terms of sound?
2) How the amps compare weight wise? (mega important to me, gigging two or three times a week every week, dragging big heavy
amps about is my pet hate!)

Thanks to anyone who helps!

There's lighter gear out there. A barefaced, lightweight cab and a class D head would fit the bill. I have a 1st generation compact and a class D Ashdown MiBass head. I can put the head in my gig bag, with my bass, and walk to the gig. I have a GK MB500 on the way, which is even lighter than the Ashdown.

Those TC Electronic cabs/combos are not particularly lightweight. Although they do have their own wheels and a handle. I had a TC Classic 450, which I wasn't a big fan of. The thing I specifically disliked about it was that the low mid control was particularly ineffective (ie it didn't seem to have much of an effect on the sound). Low mid gives definition and punch and that's what I thought the head lacked. In the end I sold it and bought the Ashdown, which had a low mid control that actually worked.

Edited by gjones

If you like your sound already but want a smaller box, why don't you try the Markbass CMD121P? You still have the option of adding an extension cab if you need the extra ooomph, with the NY121 which itself is very small and light.

I have a TC RH750 and the sound is quite different to the Markbass. Saying that, I've just also bought a Rumble 500 combo which I'm beginning to love...

what he said.

I used the RS210 cab for a while... not the lightest or best sounding, in my opinion.

I'd be tempted to get a MarkBass LM3 head (what you have in your combo) and pair it with a lightweight cab. There are lots out there that would be light and portable, and loud enough as a stage monitor.

My favourite rig right now is precisely a MarkBass LM3 with 1 or 2 TKS S112 cabs. They're small and very light (10Kg). They do not have the sheer volume that some other cabs have, but I find it quite adequate. I use one cab as a monitor or for rehearsals with one band, and for another band I often use 2 because I love the extra oomph... and they're extremely portable.

disclaimer: I happen to have 2 of those cabs for sale (I have 4 in total, which is overkill so I'm keeping 2), but that's not why I'm talking about them, I'm just a big fan of them because of their sound and weight.

Regardless, I'd try a head + cab rather than using the RS210: I had it and I think it's too heavy for what it is. I can tolerate that weight if I love the sound, but I did not. Barefaced make some very loud and compact/light cabs, I like those too a lot.

How small and light do you want to go?

There are 2 Bergantino AE112's in the classifieds. They are fantastic sounding light weight cabs.

I'd also checkout an Aguilar amp (TH350 or TH500) and 2 Barefaced One10 cabs. You can't get smaller or lighter.

I like the TH500 so much I bought another as a backup and I know a keyboard player who uses a BF One10 to handle the bottom end in his Hammond/piano rig, in a loud rock blues band. I'm a BF fan and I was pretty sceptical about the One10 until I heard that keyboard rig.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1460363211' post='3024887']
How small and light do you want to go?

There are 2 Bergantino AE112's in the classifieds. They are fantastic sounding light weight cabs.

I'd also checkout an Aguilar amp (TH350 or TH500) and 2 Barefaced One10 cabs. You can't get smaller or lighter.

I like the TH500 so much I bought another as a backup and I know a keyboard player who uses a BF One10 to handle the bottom end in his Hammond/piano rig, in a loud rock blues band. I'm a BF fan and I was pretty sceptical about the One10 until I heard that keyboard rig.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris - I'd like to go as small and as light as possible, without comprimising sound. I'm DI'd literally every gig into our QSC rig with a nice bass bin and two tops, so I'd like to go as small and light as I can get away with!

I have owned both and the TC is nowhere near as loud or deep as a single Barefaced One 10 (driven by a Tecamp Puma). Two One 10s will be in a different league altogether. You can use the head of your choice; stick with MarkBass if you are happy with the sound. Sorry, but for me it is no contest, apart from the one-box convenience and the very clever Toneprint effects. Edit: and the cost of course.

Edited by DBerriff

I wouldn't do it. The TC heads are clinical and have a very modern tone. MB's tone is much better in my opinion, it's deeper, richer, yet still very clear and articulate.

Lightweight to me instantly screams Barefaced. Pair a Barefaced with a LM3 and you'll have a lovely tone, that's plenty loud!

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1460378103' post='3025115']
I have owned both and the TC is nowhere near as loud or deep as a single Barefaced One 10 (driven by a Tecamp Puma). Two One 10s will be in a different league altogether. You can use the head of your choice; stick with MarkBass if you are happy with the sound. Sorry, but for me it is no contest, apart from the one-box convenience and the very clever Toneprint effects. Edit: and the cost of course.
[/quote]

That's interesting (the comparison between the One10 and the RS210). Is the One10 really fuller sounding than the RS210? I was not a fan at all of the RS210... but when I look at the One10 I can't help thinking "it can't be that deep/loud, surely". Yet, I've owned BF's Compact and BB2 and I'm pretty impressed by their performance, so can the hype about the One10 be real too? ;)

In other words: dang, I really want to hear a pair of those! I'm very happy with my current solution(s) but now I'd love to hear a couple of those One10 cabs too... I really should not read this forum. I have spent far too much money since I joined :lol:

I have used both for big band rehearsals. The TC had very little in reserve. The One 10 needs my Tecamp Puma 500 master at 10 or 11 o'clock with everything else flat and a Jazz neck pup doing the driving. Even then the bass was backed off a bit. Side by side the One 10 clearly had more bass. I know it does not visually make sense, but there are technical reasons why the One 10 is so good. My experience backs up Barefaced's claims. I find the old-school sound of the One10 ideal for P and J pickups.

Edited by DBerriff

I`d def look at a Markbass head, and a lightweight cab - other than a Markbass one that is. Reason I say that is you say every gig you`re DI`d into the PA. From experience, Markbass cabs have a fair amount of top-end roll-off, so whatever you hear on stage through their cabs is nowhere near as toppy as what goes into the PA. So having a truer response cab means that the audience will be getting very similar to your on-stage sound.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1460386402' post='3025228']
I have used both for big band rehearsals. The TC had very little in reserve. The One 10 needs my Tecamp Puma 500 master at 10 or 11 o'clock with everything else flat and a Jazz neck pup doing the driving. Even then the bass was backed off a bit. Side by side the One 10 clearly had more bass. I know it does not visually make sense, but there are technical reasons why the One 10 is so good. My experience backs up Barefaced's claims. I find the old-school sound of the One10 ideal for P and J pickups.
[/quote]

Thank you for that... now I'm even more curious :lol:

I forgot to add that while I was never asked to turn the TC down, I have been asked to turn the One 10 down. There is a lot more headroom. My Genz Benz 12" cabs similarly had loads of headroom with the same band and one cab could easily cope with gigs. I have yet to try out the One 10 on a gig. I think I would play safe and take 2.

I've been asked to turn my BF One10 down too. These cabs totally contradict the size of them. And I've just got another! Not sure why.... LOL! As well as amazing bass response and sweet tops, they have great dispersion characteristics. I'll never have to buy another speaker cab again. I'm running a GK MB800 which is overkill, the MB500 would be perfectly adequate.

I've been asked to turn my BF One10 down too. These cabs totally contradict the size of them. And I've just got another! Not sure why.... LOL! As well as amazing bass response and sweet tops, they have great dispersion characteristics. I'll never have to buy another speaker cab again. I'm running a GK MB800 which is overkill, the MB500 would be perfectly adequate.

I'm another lover of my One10. I use it with a LM3. I can't believe how little the 2 weigh. The sound is fantastic; clean and clear and loads of bottom end and the tother en's is great too.

IMHO, TC give a completely different sound. They're a lot more metallic in the tone.

Edited by Grangur

Might be worth noting that it's very rare someone can "turn down" a cab; you turn down your amp as different cabs have different frequency responses & so need different settings.

In terms of buying two I'd say go for it - I don't really know why (though I'm sure I've seen it explained by the experts on here several times before) but two of the same cab always sounds better to me than one cab turned up louder. The BF one10's are moderately cheap at £300 each too.

Other cabs are of course available depending on how small/light/coloured/styled you want to go.

I think I would have bought 2 of the BF 1 X 10'S quite a while back, but it's the 4 0hm, 12 ohm choice that stopped me.
Alex explained why, but it was way over my old dinosaur ain't gonna change head :rolleyes:

Must admit, this thread has got me thinking again.
Can two biscuit tin sized 10's really handle Metallica/Maiden covers against 2 Blackstar'd gaytartists and a shed building drummer (who is usually part mic'd).

Anybody within about 50 miles of Manchester use two, so I can go see them gig?

The One10's are 8ohm aren't they?

I understand what you're saying though - I wrote off the Two10's because of the 4/12ohm thing, I'm sure the logic makes sense but when you want two 8ohm cabs that's what you've got to have.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1460453753' post='3025773']
The One10's are 8ohm aren't they?

I understand what you're saying though - I wrote off the Two10's because of the 4/12ohm thing, I'm sure the logic makes sense but when you want two 8ohm cabs that's what you've got to have.
[/quote]
[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1460453915' post='3025777']
The One 10s are 8 Ohm cabs; it is the Two 10 that comes in the 4 or 12 Ohm options.
[/quote]
[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1460455104' post='3025792']
don't be too put off by the 12 ohm thing on the 210... there will be a difference in output but it's likely a lot less pronounced than you think (especially when you have a reasonably powerful amp)
[/quote]

Correct. I'm old, I'm allowed brain fart mode. Moving swiftly on :blush: :blush: