Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the good comments guys.
Not much progress Andy,
Been working in Germany and Mrs Mid has had me start on the kitchen. :(
I had loads of spare tuners (one side only) so thought I had ordered the other side to make up a set. Ordered the wrong ones !.... so had to re-order. The new ones just arrived this week.
Maybe try to get a bit done this weekend.
There's not much left to do but it's the stuff I HATE .......so guilty of procrastinating too.
Its at this stage I could quite happily hand 'em over for wiring and setup....

Ian M

Edited by scojack

• 2 months later...

Just a wee update ......

Getting nowhere fast at the moment but i'll get there eventually.

PS It's a Goncalo Alves neck, lovely piece i have been saving. You can start to see its colour now, it gets better over time as does the cedar yes the mystery wood (Cedro Espino) at the back,

I loves me wood and choosing timbers that work and i think will look good together. :)
Ian

Edited by scojack

What's the finish again, Ian? Was it Chestnut Melamine?

If so, you certainly have worked how to get the best out of the product - it's top drawer stuff :) . I tried it on the last veneer job I did. I liked the way it went on but was staggered how strong the fumes were. In the end MrsAndyjr1515 suggested it wasn't perhaps the healthiest thing to be doing in the cellar, respirator or not :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.
Yes Andy it's melamine, respirator in a well ventilated shed. I wouldn't use it indoors, that's why all my finishing is done in the good weather.
Lovely and clear and polishes to a high shine ...just a lot of rubbing :)

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1483835952' post='3210572']
Thanks guys.
Yes Andy it's melamine, respirator in a well ventilated shed. I wouldn't use it indoors, that's why all my finishing is done in the good weather.
Lovely and clear and polishes to a high shine ...just a lot of rubbing :)
[/quote]
Hmmm...might have to try again. I'm thinking of trying to clear a temporary area in the shed and rig up a shower curtain to do a bit of spraying so I could have a bash in there. Do you thin it? Also, approximately how many coats would it typically take? Obviously no probs if you'd rather not say. :)

This and some of your previous ones are amongst the best gloss finishes I've seen...

Thanks Mykesbass was keeping it for myself but thought it would be good for this bass :).
Andy I can't really say how many coats, it varies on the wood (I don't use grain filler) . Lets say lots (at least a dozen). Many thin coats is the way to go with this stuff, brush on and leave, don't be tempted to brush it too much. as each new layer melts into the last, thin coats will help stop drips and bubbles too.
Oh I don't thin it either, just schlap it on as is.
IanM

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1483953581' post='3211292']
Thanks Mykesbass was keeping it for myself but thought it would be good for this bass :).
Andy I can't really say how many coats, it varies on the wood (I don't use grain filler) . Lets say lots (at least a dozen). Many thin coats is the way to go with this stuff, brush on and leave, don't be tempted to brush it too much. as each new layer melts into the last, thin coats will help stop drips and bubbles too.
Oh I don't thin it either, just schlap it on as is.
IanM
[/quote]

Great - thanks for the tips, Ian. I'll try it on the Piccolo bass that I'm trying as the next full build - I'll find an area in the shed I can rig up a temporary brushing table. The piccolo will be natural wood finish and if I can get half as good as this I'll be well pleased :)

• 4 months later...

Bit the bullet and went for the full Active EMG pups and the BQC tone control.
Got a delivery this weekend :)
This is a better (more expensive!) preamp than i was going to originally use....hope it fits !

IanM

Edited by scojack

Fully Loaded !!
Electrics are snugg (JUST fitted ) but full marks to the solderless connectors,.that was painless to fit, only needed to solder the battery earth as it wasn't long enough.
Knobs require a teeny weeny micro allen key, if i ever had one that small i'd have lost it or broken it within 2 minutes ! wtf?

Cheers W1 <_<
Hope so Andy .
Ian

Edited by scojack