Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

Dave (Nugget) made a very nice fretless 5 string with only a Piezo for a pickup, I had a go on it through some sort of external pre amp, it sounded lush, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the pre amp.

Cor thats a stunner innit ! :) Mines might be a tad humbler in comparison :D.
Doing a similar thing but I want the chambering to have a major affect on the tone. It's a balancing act, how much material to remove without having a negative impact on the stability of the instrument. I think i have it just right... we shall see when it's built.

Edited by scojack

I have two basses with Mag/piezo options and am using East piezo things. They buffer nicely and offer a passive HF roll off which is all I have found I need on the EQ front. I have some mind bendinlgly expensive Ghost saddles in one bass and a cheap and cheerful Ebay special piezo bridge - there is no discernable difference.

That's interesting. I have a few of elements to try on one of my builds; bog standard a
Artec element, flexible wire type and then a Shadow SH064. The Artec and the flexible elements were about £5 each, whereas the Shadow is around £65. Be interesting to see what the difference is!

if its any help, I replaced the elements in my Stagg EUB with the Artec one's and it was much brighter sounding and louder after the change, but that could have been due to a mismatch with the stock preamp.

I used the schertler bluestick in my first build and im happy with the sound, warm and acousticy. I should mention that i have no experience with other under saddle piezo solutions... Its not really a piezo though, but a very small microphone in the disguise of a piezo element. They dont make them anymore so you would have to try your luck on ebay or some such and it'll probably still set you back a fair bit

Thanks chaps, probably take a wee punt on the Artec first (thanks Owen,JPJ ;) )and take it from there. Jabba's nearly there so looking forward to his comparisons.
Cheers Andy it's pretty much my usual shape with a rounder bottom. African Walnut on the top(s), it's nowhere near as nice as our own pucker Walnut but it's not unpleasant once it has a finish on it, African Cherry (Makore) in the middle, Makore is becoming my fav mahogany substitute the bit i used here is a lovely quarter sawn piece.
Ian

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys :)

Neck started now,,,,, headstock jointed and the head plate on..

The joint is rounded out and veneer(s) glued on ,,

Managed to resist the urge for a blingy headstock and just matched the body,,,(front)

Erm however, couldn't resist matching the satinwood in the neck with a bit of figuring on the back ..

Ovankol, satinwood stringers and figured makore in the middle (neck)

Fingerboard Pau Ferro

Edited by scojack