Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

Thanks guys :)
That EUB was a few years ago now Gareth i really enjoyed doing that still having the odd noodle with it too but i'm never going to be a Niels Pederson.
Pretty much every timber on this is qsawn Plunger ..well spotted :D

Started just roughing out the headstock. Im extending out to fret 1. As far as im concerned everything behind this is fair game on a fretless ..

It's nice to do a little something with handtools for a change.
Going for the whole Snooker Cue thing here with loads of veneers (I'm not doing this again, from now on i am keeping this MUCH simpler).

Got the oles drilled, fingerboard radius'd and position markers in.

More routing and control cover ...Ovankol matching the neck wood.

Just waiting for a set of strings coming, i want to do a mock up before i decide where exactly to put the neck, then it's just the neck carve and pocket routing to go which i have already prepared a template for.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Andy ..yer a gent :)

Progress ..
Found a 5 string piezo in a drawer that i forgot about, made up a bridge for it, tried it on the bass ,,too short !!
Turns out Artec do 2 types, this was the narrow version (no good). So i will have to order one now, thought i'd hit the jackpot there.
Anyhoo did another bridge that will accomodate the correct size pickup this time..

Ian
Oh ..question
The neck is fairly deep set,, do you think there's enough meat there to glue it in? It's a very tight fit and seriously tempting.
Course if anything goes wrong with the body .. i can always recycle a good neck.
Think I just answered my question there.

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1463238371' post='3049856']
Andy ..yer a gent :)

Progress ..
Found a 5 string piezo in a drawer that i forgot about, made up a bridge for it, tried it on the bass ,,too short !!
Turns out Artec do 2 types, this was the narrow version (no good). So i will have to order one now, thought i'd hit the jackpot there.
Anyhoo did another bridge that will accomodate the correct size pickup this time..

Ian
Oh ..question

The neck is fairly deep set,, do you think there's enough meat there to glue it in? It's a very tight fit and seriously tempting.
[/quote]

If you can go bolt on - I'd recommend bolt on. I don't think the tone / sustain difference is big enough to worry about - and when it's a set neck you wind up with a so-so transition (just like most contoured bolt on neck joints). Neck through or "bolt in" like the Brubakers* offer more options for great access at the dusty end!

*See the brute below:

In summary I think you lose the option to easily modify or swap a neck if it's set in or neck through - while set neck doesn't offer the carving options of neck through - unless you go the route of deeeeeeeep tenons, in which case you're using almost as much wood stock as a neck through neck blank! Do what you like the most!

Right so onwards..

That's all the routing done at last. fitted the control cover and battery box. Got the hardware and lacquer ordered so just finishing off the wee stuff and a bit of sanding to do.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Thanks for the comments guys. :)
Looking forward to getting a bit of lacquer on this..... this 'walnut' looks pale and washed out when its in the raw, but once it has a finish on it looks totally different, hopefully this weekend !
Glad you like the organic look Andy , i was hoping it would [i]look[/i] a little 'acousticy' with the choice of straight grained wood on the front/back. (It was a good price too especially for something experimental like this),
Ian

Edited by scojack

Couple of coats of lacquer to seal it then i decided to assemble it (couldn't wait for a shot!). Haven't done the plate to anchor the strings yet so improvised with a few washers.
I likey very much so strip it back down now for finishing.

Ian

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom,
Sounds really good so far although not tried with a pickup yet. There's enough acoustic noise to play without an amp (which was one of my goals) although it's not going to flap yer trousers too much. The bass response is pretty much what you'd expect from a 'standard' body thickness with a relatively small resonant chamber (s), the higher registers however are much louder and zingy, it positively sings up at the top end. What really matters though is the sound through the pickup which i am looking forward to hearing. (wont be long now, i have the lacquer on and flattened).

Ian

Edited by scojack

I love the clean lines on this - there's something about the look of a fretless - shame I can't get on with them as instruments to play.

Suggestion? Gold machine heads instead of black? Perhaps swapping wooden pegs for the black like Bernie (Goodfellow) does on his?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1464789811' post='3062561']
Suggestion? Gold machine heads instead of black? Perhaps swapping wooden pegs for the black like Bernie (Goodfellow) does on his?
[/quote]

Thread derail! Can anyone point me at somewhere that would do wooden pegs. I love my bass but hate the machine head buttons.

Thanks FunkShui :) mibbies do some sound samples at some point (don't hold yer breath though).
Greek the knobs are bought already so black it is, although i do like the idea of the wooden jobs, if someone else was paying it would certainly be an option :).
Owen -- derail away !

IanM

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slow on this, Mrs Mid has had me out in the good weather shed painting and fencing. Managed to get the finishing pretty much done though. All the hardware has arrived so I can start to assemble it now.
IanM

Edited by scojack