Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

That's the piezo installed, feeding the wire took a precise blend of phsychology and extreme violence but i got there in the end.
Mrs Mid's camera had a meltdown so just managed the one photo of the back. I like the walnut facings better than the front TBH. This set got relegated to the back as i couldn't get such a nice grain match and the colour didn't look so good before lacquering.

[b]Will[/b] be finished this week. (note to self!)
Think i'll call it the 'Shallow 5" :) .
IanM

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1466160352' post='3073745']
Think i'll put the tuners on at a jaunty angle Warwick style..

....?
Ian
[/quote]

Looking really nice!!! I'd go for the tuners being straight rather than angled - just my preference but will look cracking either way.

Cheers

Jez

Cheers Andy :)
Alyctes -- Thanks for the nice comments, i was the same about 5 strings myself....convert now though. takes most of my time to build 1 bass a year though, never mind going into production...i'd need a bigger shed.
Jez -- Confession Time.. :blush: I originally set this up (before finishing) with Wilkinson Tuners. Nice tuners mind but they are a wee bit heavier than my usual jobs, so i decided just to use the lighter (standard) ones and ordered a set. It's not until i get them and try them on that i discover the screw holes are in a different place ..hence the jaunty angle you see now. (DOH). I quite like them like this though and as i say they are a little lighter so just going to use these, i can switch back to the Wilkinsons if i get fed up of the look without any problem. It would benefit from lightweight tuners to be honest as there's so much weight removed from the body and no high mass bridge to balance it out.

Ian Mid

Edited by scojack

This build was always one of those 'what ifs?' that's been at the back of my head for decades. What if you hollow out a standard body, how would it sound? Well my answer is surprisingly good. With only a few mm of wood under the bridge, convention (and dubious 'luthier' marketing bollocks) would say that you will lose on sustain as there is nothing solid under the bridge. Well..... based on this build i think this is absolute twaddle, i would go as far as to say the sustain and swell on this bass is far superior to many solid fretless basses i have played, and that's just playing it acoustically.

Was not what i expected, but its niiiiiiiiiicee :)
mmmmwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhht's all im sayin' ......for now.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Finished :)

Added a bone saddle, my first non vegetarian bass! .
I wanted a good break angle for the strings which i managed to achieve, hopefully help with string tension {33" scale).

Not had much time to play it yet but first impressions are very good.
Hope you enjoyed the build. :)
If it inspires someone to dust down their old woodworking tools and have a crack ..so much the better ;)

Ian Mid

Edited by scojack

Keep them coming!

You ought to see my telecaster build thread (on another site). It's been running since September last year and I've lost count of the number of pages! And I still have several months to go at the rate I'm getting stuff done!

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1467798102' post='3086278']
Anybody for another ? Doing a fretted 5 next ..still deciding on whether sold body or semi-acoustic like this one...
Ian
[/quote]
Oh abso-flippin-lutely ! :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1467798102' post='3086278']
Anybody for another ?[/quote]
Go for it!!
I can never get enough from builds from scratch, always admiring the craftsmanship and inventiveness.
And if there are tricks shown I can borrow it's even better. :)