Why become a member? ×

Your favourite 'One Hit Wonder'

colgraff

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1478264396' post='3167995']
Monster Mash - Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Crypt Kicker Five

I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes - Jim Stafford
[/quote]
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Stafford"]https://en.wikipedia...ki/Jim_Stafford[/url]

And Gary Paxton had a bunch of other hits wearing other hats than Bobby "Boris" Pickett. :D Buddy of my brother`s

Edited by ivansc

in my little world a one hit wonder is someone who has had only 1 top thirty hit, which lets off the likes of Carl Douglas, but not the likes Thunderclap Newman, who's follow up to Something in the Air reached 46, the Guinness book of British Hit singles is my friend

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1457955085' post='3003243']
Manhattan transfer- d'mour
[/quote]

Manhattan Transfer !!! Sorry, I am not having that one. :D
(To be honest they were always more of an Album band).
I have seen them a couple of times and they were terrific.
They had a few Singles.
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manhattan_Transfer"]https://en.wikipedia...hattan_Transfer[/url]

They did a great version of 'Birdland'

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZHvsaVTrzQ[/media]

'Twightlight Zone' was a great tune (IMO)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTyhycwZMa4[/media]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1478625958' post='3170422']
Martika had a number 5 with Toy Solldiers and 7 with I Feel The Earth Move
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't aware of those until I read Wikipedia 5 mins after posting 😊

Edited by SICbass

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1457921193' post='3003064']
Every track I know on here I adore!

Except Brilliant Mind by Furniture - my first band shared a bill with them once at the Moonlight Club and ended up with the ****ty end of the stick.

Actually, the song's not half bad. But I still hate 'em after 36 years. What a sad b@stard I am!
[/quote]

Sorry to drag this one up, but only just seen it. The guys in Furniture were friends of mine (I played with most of them in various West London bands back in the day) and wrote some good songs, but got seriously stitched up by their record company. I even managed to wangle a flat for Hammy (their brilliant drummer) across the hall from the one I was in when he needed a place in a hurry. Happy daze!

Only just discovered this thread, where has it been hiding? Anyway, as at least 75% of the posts simply say 'missing plugin' I might not be getting the full benefit of Basschat wisdom, but has no one mentioned Dutch band Focus, who had two hits simultaneously with 'Sylvia' and "Hocus Pocus'? Both of which feature some stunning guitar playing by Jan Ackerman.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478637340' post='3170559']
Only just discovered this thread, where has it been hiding? Anyway, as at least 75% of the posts simply say 'missing plugin' I might not be getting the full benefit of Basschat wisdom, but has no one mentioned Dutch band Focus, who had two hits simultaneously with 'Sylvia' and "Hocus Pocus'? Both of which feature some stunning guitar playing by Jan Ackerman.
[/quote]

It's difficult really. I agree with you, they were a big band.
Whiter Shade of Pale was considered a one hit wonder (one of the biggest). Yet Gary Brooker and Procol Harum had seven chart singles in this country over eight years (1/6/50/44/13/22/16).
Definitely an Album band.

We haven't had top 40 radio in decades.

No top 40 means no hits. Not in the sense of the hits I grew up with in the 50s, 60s & 70s.

"Sky High" by Jig Saw

"Build Me Up Buttercup" Did The Foundation have any other hits?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1478630388' post='3170480']
Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't aware of those until I read Wikipedia 5 mins after posting
[/quote] To be fair, if you had put Martika down as having one hit with Toy Soldiers, I would have been none the wiser as I had never heard the song you posted. I was so sure about Toy Soldiers, so I looked it up and found she had a couple of hits.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1478845562' post='3172028']
To be fair, if you had put Martika down as having one hit with Toy Soldiers, I would have been none the wiser as I had never heard the song you posted. I was so sure about Toy Soldiers, so I looked it up and found she had a couple of hits.
[/quote]

With me it was just the opposite, I knew Toy Soldiers but had no idea who'd sung it. Love Thy Will be Done, I knew from heavy rotation on MTV in hotel rooms and I'd never heard of that other song. We live and learn, eh? 🙂

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478832933' post='3172023']
We haven't had top 40 radio in decades.

No top 40 means no hits. Not in the sense of the hits I grew up with in the 50s, 60s & 70s.

"Sky High" by Jig Saw

"Build Me Up Buttercup" Did The Foundation have any other hits?

Blue
[/quote]

This is where age is a factor. I have not heard of any of these hits others have posted and no one has heard of mine. Well, maybe Dave has.

Blue

Edited by blue

Build me up Buttercup is fairly well known over here, I personally don't know sky high but to be fair we live in different countries so it's not surprising that we have different one hit wonders.

Edited by Cato