Why become a member? ×

Bass Day Nov 9th

Monz

Just got in - superb day, very busy but great to meet so many people and spend some time with matt...

I was blown away by Ylonda(SP?) Charles - just freakin' superb. Incredible.

Off to bed I think, look forward to hearing from everyone else how the later acts went down. Shame I had to miss Bona but me and Urb had a god laugh with TM Stevens. What a ledge.

Cheers
ped

What a superb collection of players this year.
Yolanda Charles and Ricahrd Bona were superb, but T M Stevens absolutely blew me away. What an awesome set and what a character.

Nice to meet up with Ped and some other BassChatters. Must get some BC badges nmade next year.

It was a pretty hectic but enjoyable day ! Really loved chatting to people and hearing some great equipment.

Here's a few of pics from the afternoon..

Bass Direct stand

Basses !

Wood & Tronics Spectrum into a Genz Benz 3.0 10T Combo + Bergantino AE112.

Lots of people !

Ped trying his Vigier through the MarkBass F1.

BigRedX, Urb and Ped discussing the finer points of the Bergantino IP112.

What a great day.
Richard Bona was the hilight for me,"we need to SING" hehe,absolutely fantastic.It was worth the entrance fee for his set alone. TM Stevens' set was a wonder to behold and very entertaining, Yolanda Charles and her band were great and the keyboard player voice in Janick's bands (ollie i think his name was) gave me goose bumps.I had a nice chat with John East,what a thoroughly decent chap,Oh and i met Ped(from the photo above i'd no idea i'd just met the devil incarnate) and Urb respectively.
I thought the boom stage didnt work however and respect the guy on the upright as all you could here was the guy plonking away at the back on the Markbass stand.A bit more "boom" was needed.I think they could have that part of the show in another theatre/room.Just my opinion off course.
It was a top day for sure,very well organised,very entertaining and very good VFM. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='325571' date='Nov 9 2008, 10:31 PM']I want to know whether anyone found out who strung the bass in the banner ad, and if so, what happened to him.[/quote]

I think they drowned him ( or her).....

Great day by the way as long as you were parked close by!.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I had an absolutely brilliant day with Alan and Robbie on the ACG/RIM stand.

I'm not sure whether the highlight was meeting so many good people or Richard Bona.

I'm already a TM Stevens fan and he was an absolute hoot but Richard Bona, wow he plays bass like a god with the voice of an angel!

I've got a ticket to see him in Kendal on Friday and I'm excited.

I was nice to meet some of you guys.

Peter

What a great set of artists.

Pleasantly surprised by Janick - I thought he had a great mix of song/technique. I found that HF, as good as he was, was a little lost on me in terms of melody and songs... but as I say, he is an exceptional player and he's certainly got the chops. TM - a great entertainer and RB... wow - after seeing him live, I appreciate the recording a hell of a lot more. Didn't catch the other shows though as I got there a little bit later. I thought the Boom stage worked well... as long as nobody was trying the Mark Bass or MESA stuff. I enjoyed the more relaxed cafe/coffee shop vibe thing going on. Dave Marks stuff was top dollar - liked that alot!

Much better than next year and I think it's going to be hard to top that next year!

[quote name='Machines' post='325653' date='Nov 10 2008, 07:11 AM']It was a pretty hectic but enjoyable day ! Really loved chatting to people and hearing some great equipment.

Here's a few of pics from the afternoon..

Bass Direct stand

Basses !

Wood & Tronics Spectrum into a Genz Benz 3.0 10T Combo + Bergantino AE112.

Lots of people !

Ped trying his Vigier through the MarkBass F1.

BigRedX, Urb and Ped discussing the finer points of the Bergantino IP112.
[/quote]

Wow - you guys were busy!!! I wish I had been there it looks like you had some fun :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='325764' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:52 AM']I thought the Boom stage worked well... as long as nobody was trying the Mark Bass or MESA stuff. I enjoyed the more relaxed cafe/coffee shop vibe thing going on.

Much better than next year and I think it's going to be hard to top that next year![/quote]

Agreed,the coffee shop atmosphere was good,I'll stand corrected here then,maybe it was'nt the best idea to have other stands in the same area.I was stood at the back trying my best to listen but the boom stage was completely drowned out by the stuff going on behind me. :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='325819' date='Nov 10 2008, 11:51 AM']Next year I'm going to actually try out some of the basses on display, once I have my all slap chops perfected...is it obligatory just to slap?
Was every bassist trying out yesterday actually in a funk band? :)[/quote]

No, they just work in staple gun factories.

Great event, well organized and with great artists.

For the first time in my life I met my idol: [b]Richard Bona[/b].
Very hard to exaplain with words the experience but who was there can understand...

If someone was not there yesterday, my advice is to buy a ticket for the concert Thursday 13 I think will be a good opportunity to know an Amazing Musician and an Amazing Man!

Of course I'll be there...I can't wait!

Info here:
[url="http://www.rncm.ac.uk/component/option,com_events/task,view_detail/agid,917/year,2008/month,11/day,13/Itemid,95/"]http://www.rncm.ac.uk/component/option,com...y,13/Itemid,95/[/url]

:)

Great day!

Good to be able to put some more faces to avatars and screen names. Urb's Sei was outstanding as were Alan (ACG) and Robbie's (RIM) basses. I have severe gas for an ACG and the RIM upright now.

TM Stevens was totally awesome and I'll be buying some of his CDs ASAP!

Had to miss the last two acts due to amount of time it takes to get back to Nottingham on the train. Maybe next year I'll get a hotel room so I can stay until the end.

[quote name='jazzbassmm' post='325842' date='Nov 10 2008, 12:23 PM']

[/quote]

Richard Bona. TD650s. Good enough for him. Good enough for me. :)

I wonder where Richard got his pitch correction / talent pedals from, I have GAS. :huh:

Even the Hellborg rig was sidelined.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='325876' date='Nov 10 2008, 01:05 PM']I saw grown men wiping tears from their eyes.

Incredible[/quote]

That was probably me! Richard was the single most inspiring musician I've seen in years. Never mind the supernatural bass playing/singing, I could have listened to him talk all night. Absolutely [i]beyond[/i] unbelievable. There really were tears in my eyes!

By contrast, Hadrien didn't connect with me at all, and I actually left after his second number to try some gear. Met TM in in a pizza place afterwards; what a great guy! Loved Yolanda (always do - will always be a standout for me), Janek (I want his bass, which looks like the easiest playing bass in the world!!!!) and Dave Marks, who I thought was sensational. Had a good pro-Gallery chat with him and he's a thoroughly fab bloke to boot (hey Bilbo, he played a Pat Metheny tune and I enjoyed it! Hurrah!). The only trouble this year was there were so many great artists on that I hardly got to try any gear out.

Unfortunately however I did get caught on camera trying that Wood & Tronics out (yes, sadly that's me...or is it my dad :) ???? Oh good grief!!!). Loved the bass, one for the future, but really, really [i]really[/i] didn't like the rig. The Berg (could have been the Genz I suppose) was my anti-tone.

Mike, didn't realise you were going; I'd have loved to have seen your Sei in person. I probably saw loads of Basschatters and walked straight past them coz I don't know what they look like!

Think I may need to see Bona in Kendal if there are tickets left and I can scrounge a lift....

Richard got me teary eyed too !! Yep,i could have listened to him all night.
Unfortunately i could only manage 1 HF number,not my thang at all.
I especially enjoyed Dave Marks and his band doing Spain,I grew up on that stuff.Ive got the Chick Korea and Al Jarreau versions in the car pretty much all the time.