Why become a member? ×

Sire Marcus Miller

AlpherMako4

I have the 5er for a second time, great bass better than as lot of more expensive 5ers I've had.I love the neck and fretboard my kind of spacing. Easily best jazz any where around the price range.the active eq is very usable, takes a bit to get used to it but worth the time.good in passive also not the lightest I've had but well balanced. I'm thinking about selling my mayones be5 to get a rosewood fretboard to go with my maple.when they are back in stock.great for slapping as expected.

I have a rosewood 5 string V7. Superb for the money- the last 3 words being the important thing. A pretty decent bass if it was twice the price.
The neck radius might be something to watch if you hands aren't a decent size. The preamp is a bit fiddly but sounds great. The tuning pegs feel a little 'cheap' but they're adequate.
My bass isn't light but neither is it too heavy. I've had heavier. I much prefer this to my old Lakland (Skyline) JO5.
Bottom line is, it was £320 give-or-take. That's ridiculous.

I bought my V7 5 string in black, second hand from BC after seeing my old friend chardbass raving about his.

I am really happy with mine. It's funny how everyone goes on about the tuners - they do seem a bit cheap, but I've noticed mine can spend a week in a gig bag and barely need a tune - so there must be something fairly sturdy about them!

I stuck a set of flats on mine and have never been happier. The knobs took a little while to commit to memory, but all good now!

To answer Woodinblack's question - I think the string spacing is slightly narrower than some, so the neck does not feel like a cricket bat like my old Squier P5s. I thought this would be a problem for me as I like the wide spacing for my fat fingers, but I have to say I haven't really noticed too much of a difference.

My usual bass is a Sadowsky NYC jazz and I was really impressed when I recently picked up my brothers Sire.
Terrific build quality and to be honest I preferred the neck on the Sire to my Sadowsky. The EQ and range of tones was very good. The only downside for me was the weight, but then just about every bass seems heavy when compared with my 7lb Sadowsky.
One thing is for sure, these cheap as chips basses are really good instruments, regardless of cost. Totally gigable on any stage IMO.

Depends what you're after, thick warm beefy passive PJ, or modern sizzling active J! I love my BB1025X and doubt I could ever replace it with any J-type bass (but I have not tried the Sire!). Maybe it's just me but I only ever like the sound of Jazz basses with both pickups on full, either pickup soloed sounds weak to me, whereas the BB has two great usable sounds in it (not counting the bridge soloed as I hate that sound too, on any bass!). I prefer a flatter fretboard like the Yamaha, the curvy 7.25" radius of the Sire is one of the things that puts me off trying one out.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='AlpherMako5' timestamp='1456347416' post='2988196']
I've just sent him a message, thanks.
[/quote]

Sorry, only just seen it. My thoughts and feelings are in the main MM thread, but to sum it up, Best value 5 string jazz bass ive ever played, and the build quality is faultless IMO.
Even as a passive bass its good. In fact id say ive used it more in passive mode than active mode. If i was totally against an active bass im not sure i would bother with it, but having a great range of tones in both modes seems more than worth having.

Ill be packing mine away for a while as ive gone off jazz basses, but its a bass ill never sell, as when i get 5 string GAS again ill already be sorted.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1456418629' post='2988872']
Maybe it's just me but I only ever like the sound of Jazz basses with both pickups on full, either pickup soloed sounds weak to me, whereas the BB has two great usable sounds in it (not counting the bridge soloed as I hate that sound too, on any bass!). I prefer a flatter fretboard like the Yamaha, the curvy 7.25" radius of the Sire is one of the things that puts me off trying one out.
[/quote]
Goes to show how subjective choosing an instrument is. For me a J bass with both pickups on full, never works and the 7.25" neck radius works really well. That probably is a result of playing old Fender Jazz basses for years. Despite several years of playing a Sadowsky, I am never totally comfortable with the flatter radius

Sire 5 string is the best value for money in a long time.

I loved the finish and sound of mine but the more I played it the less I was getting on with the radius of the fretboard.
It's not a negative thing, it's just that it wasn't for me as I prefer a flatter fretboard.

You could do worse than a yamaha BB series as a fiver.