Why become a member? ×

Epic blues numbers

Dropzone

I may be getting involved with a heavy blues project. Predominantly covers to start. This is not my area of expertise and I was wondering if you had any blues numbers in your set that set the world on fire or if they are any numbers that need to be avoided or any advice in general. Many thanks in advance. Mike

I agree with Bikenbass about John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Cant go far wrong with his material. Go to You Tube and check him out. Also check out : Mike Bloomfield...Buddy Guy...Freddy/Albert/BB King...Johnny Winter... Peter Green...Chicken Shack....Ten Years After.

Afraid I can't get onto YT at work to provide examples, but "Come On in this House" by Byther Smith is probably a good starting point. Don't know if it would really count as blues, but if you've got a dynamic enough frontperson then Nick Cave's reimagining of "Tupelo" could make a bit of a showstopper.

Depends on how you interpret the songs I suppose. You can play Crossroads ultra-soft or you could play CC Rider dark and swampy.

A band I dep for play Robert Cray's 'Your Good Thing Is About To End' quite aggressively and it rocks! They rein in the swinging-ness, play it a little straighter and it really goes.

Sounds to me that you need to look at Led Zeppelin's more blues influenced stuff, Since I've Been Loving You, Levee Breaks, I Can't Quit You Baby - as already said, a lot of it is just taking the old standards (I Can't Quit You Baby) and making your own heavy interpretation of them.

I once drank two pints ( and I'm not a particularly fast drinker) whilst listening to a band do their version of 'Red House' at a beer festival. That was pretty epic. (in the sense that it seemed to go on for a very long time rather than being notable for anything else).

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456312282' post='2987611']
I once drank two pints ( and I'm not a particularly fast drinker) whilst listening to a band do their version of 'Red House' at a beer festival. That was pretty epic. (in the sense that it seemed to go on for a very long time rather than being notable for anything else).
[/quote]

Red House needs two pints (and I'm teetotal) :o :D

Wow! You have picked a widely ranging genre. However, with your further description, the previously mentioned Cream, Free, Zep, Jeff Beck Group are all good sources. I would also do a YouTube or Spotify search for "Muddy water blues Paul Rodgers full album" as that album features an awful lot of different, although still 'heavy', styles due to the variety of guitar players involved, including Slash. Plus, it's Pino on bass, so wins all round. :)

Edited by ezbass