Why become a member? ×

Fender Sandblasted P Bass.

dave_bass5

I know there is quite an old thread on here about these basses but I don't see much about these.
I'm very tempted to get one, as I think the blue one is one of the nicest non mainstream looking basses I've seen, and more importantly can just about afford in a long time.
It's a todos up between this and a D. Lakin P with jazz neck, as I do really prefer jazz sized necks.

I'm really after more info on how the necks freel, and how the tone compares to a standard MIA P bass.

Cheers.

Cheers guys. All the reviews ive seen are positive (unusual for a Fender :-). Id happily buy one if it has a jazz neck, but maybe the fact that it has a slim C shaped neck wont be a problem.
Ill pop along to Wunjos this week and see if they still have one. Thanks for the heads up Grangur.

Cheers. I get the felling that maybe i would be ok with it. I fit had vintage frets id feel happier, but im sure thats not really an issue.

For what its worth i have a Squier CVP bass and although i much prefer the neck on this over something like a AM standard, as far as feel goes, this is really my main reference point.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1456221111' post='2986671']
Speaking as a long term Jazz player, I recently bought an American Standard Precision, and I really like the Modern C neck on that. So I imagine the Slim C would be easy to get on with.
[/quote]

Well if its slimmer than a MIA standard then yes, i may well find it ok. Then again my Squier neck is slimmer and im still not 100% with it.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456225895' post='2986741']

They do do sandblasted Jazz's as well if you prefer those.

[url="http://www.fender.com/basses/jazz-bass/limited-edition-sandblasted-jazz-bass-with-ash-body/0170176338.html#q=sandblasted&start=1"]http://www.fender.co...blasted&start=1[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers. no, not after a jazz, although i personally think Jazz basses look much nicer than P basses.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1456221111' post='2986671']
Speaking as a long term Jazz player, I recently bought an American Standard Precision, and I really like the Modern C neck on that. So I imagine the Slim C would be easy to get on with.
[/quote]

Same here.... i was a little apprehensive at first.

I went from the Jazz to an American Deluxe Precision - but it feels right at home.

Back to Dave_Bass5's post - i did try the MIA Sandblasted P (and the J) - i think they both look awesome in the Sapphire Blue.

Had the sandblasted sapphire blue pbass for a while and used it as my main gigging bass. Was light at around 7.5lbs sounded killer (as a pbass should) neck was a dream being the slim c and had one of if not the best fender neck joints tight and solid as a rock for the money being less than the standard American P you can't go wrong if you like the looks that is.

Edited by Joebethell

Thanks for all the comments, and to those that sent me the link to Cotswolds.
I have been in touch with them and will be ordering the secondhand one they have. For less than £700 it's got be worth a shot.

To me it seems more like a Highway-One, without the BA2 bridge and of course a different finish. I appreciate its not got the niceties that a MIA standard has, but I have fallen in love with the looks.

Cotswold Bass Guitars have a nice used one for sale if that's of interest. I was seriously considering it, but already have one killer P bass & can't really justify another.

http://www.cotswoldbassguitars.co.uk/for-sale.htm

Yeah. Really looking forward to it. I also like the fact that the images on that website are the bass I'll get. I've seen one or two shots of these basses with quite a heavy and ugly looking finish. This one looks perfect.

Of course this will probably be in the classifieds by the end of the year lol.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1456321515' post='2987790']
That happens to be my old one!
[/quote]

When you mentioned the weight i thought it might have been yours. It seems very light, my shoulders will be thankful. My Sire V7 is just under 10lbs.

Do you know if it has the grease bucket tone control or the standard? Not bothered either way but ive read conflicting reports on these basses.

I think it was just the standard tone control. I did love the bass I just find P width necks a bit to much for me even with this being the slim C. Long story playing covers thought I needed a 5 went to David at Cotswolds brought a Shuker (part ex the P) but have since Gone back to my comfort zone with Jazz and Ricks. If I come across the sandblasted Jazz I would really consider one as they are that good!

Cheers, i dont mind the GB tone but would prefer the more traditional one. I know its an easy fix either way, but im happy to live with it as it comes for now.
You seem to have the same neck preference as me, hence this thread really. Im sure ill get on fine, im loving my CVP neck at the moment, although i know that sightly different, but as long as i dont touch my jazz bass and slip back in to the easy life.

David has said he is posting it out on Thursday for delivery firday, cant wait. I best start getting some gigs in now i suppose. At the moment the band seems to be winding down so its a brave move spending this sort of money at the moment.

So I went along to Wunjos on the strength of this thread, and came away with http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%202015%20Sandblasted

So why did I buy it? Was it the great-looking body and lustrous colour? Was it the light weight and impeccable neck? Was it the range of tones on offer - not two but three?

Or was it the chance to own a basic, simple instrument that requires a 7-word name.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the [i][b]Fender American Standard Limited Edition Sandblasted Precision[/b][/i].

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1456407022' post='2988650']
So I went along to Wunjos on the strength of this thread, and came away with [url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%202015%20Sandblasted"]http://s1128.photobu...5%20Sandblasted[/url]

So why did I buy it? Was it the great-looking body and lustrous colour? Was it the light weight and impeccable neck? Was it the range of tones on offer - not two but three?

Or was it the chance to own a basic, simple instrument that requires a 7-word name.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the [i][b]Fender American Standard Limited Edition Sandblasted Precision[/b][/i].
[/quote]

Looks fantastic... can't beat a good P bass :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1456407022' post='2988650']
So I went along to Wunjos on the strength of this thread, and came away with [url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%202015%20Sandblasted"]http://s1128.photobu...5%20Sandblasted[/url]

[/quote]

Nice one. I didnt bother going in the end, just as well eh? :-) Actually i only really wanted it in blue anyway.

My one is on route to me for delivery tomorrow. This will be my fist maple necked P bass, and in fact my first MIA P bass (other than a HW-one i had a few years ago).

Really looking forward to getting it. Ive been meaning to replace my Squier CVP for a few years, and now i have. Already thinking about putting a black Gotoh 201 on it, along with maybe some black knobs.No too keen on those thin bridges, as i tend to jest my hand on them and find it can get uncomfortable. Wont do it straight away though.