visog

Two Notes Le Bass preamp

[quote name='DanFold' timestamp='1462227709' post='3041355']
I purchased one from andertons a few days ago, sounds amazing! After one rehearsal and one gig, loads of positive feedback from people.

But I'm also experiencing some power problems

With its own power supply it's fine (apart from the headphone out, always noisey, but not a feature I'm fussed about) I have the TRex Chameleon (no current doubler yet to feed its 500ma) so I swapped with our singer for his TRex Classic and plugged into the 12v 500ma output, there's a low constant hum, almost a low feedback tone, never experienced this before (gets louder on channel B and louder still in Hot Fusion) Gutted! I'm off to the USA playing a few gigs next week, and wanted to use the TRex 110volt switch (to also power my tuner) rather than having to buy a step up voltage increaser.

Top marks for the tone and cab sim (works amazin to keep the distortion under control when di'ed straight to pa) but read a lot of people having power issues.

Lastly, im not athletic on stage, but by no means a shoe gazer. I have had some difficulty with the switching, especially while singing and playing. Something I'm getting used too, but I cut the pedal off rather than going from hot fusion mode to channel B a few times. I wasn't 100% on buying the pedal off the limited videos online and lack of local music shops stocking them, but sound wise, what an amazing pedal! Oh, and I think it's a better idea not having the cab sim (mixture of 8x10 and hartke 4x10 with horn so Two Notes told me) on the Jack output. It won't give you a true sound out your amp to the DI.
[/quote]

I'm awaiting a replacement unit as I had interference problems with mine as well as the hum and the tested power supplies from the distributor were still noisy compared to another PSU that I had.
I'm going to stick with the Le Bass though as it sounds [b]so[/b] good (and it's impractical and expensive to import a Noble !)

Two Notes have just told me Le Bass for some reason doesn't get along with TRex power supplies. Definitely sticking with the Le Bass too though, it sounds amazing! So versatile, and the cab sim works perfectly when you're running ampless or through a dodgy house bass rig and don't want that sound out front. So anyone wanna buy a TRex chameleon? Ha!

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1462300779' post='3041966']
Dannybuoy,
How does this compare with the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe? Have my heart set on a VMT but curious nonetheless☺
[/quote]

From my earlier post, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A/B'd this against a Darkglass VMTdeluxe in Bass Direct. That was a lovely pedal too with more distortion but less overall heft. The Two Notes sounds like a rig whereas the VMT provides more of a mid & treble snark, albeit a very pleasurable one but I was looking to replace an amp rig for recording so the Two Notes fits the bill."[/font][/color]

Both good, both different. Hard to quantify really! Best to watch the various videos and let your ears decide. If you are interested in the VMTD I would make sure to get the new version with boost/attack switches or the Ultra version do out any time now.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462367948' post='3042429']
Both good, both different. Hard to quantify really! Best to watch the various videos and let your ears decide. If you are interested in the VMTD I would make sure to get the new version with boost/attack switches or the Ultra version do out any time now.
[/quote]

Looking forward to the VMT Ultra... even with the Two Notes... Which continues to confound with it multitudinous parameter combinations...

I sold my VMTD in anticipation of the new one coming out... I have a standard Vulcan now which sounds miles better than my old VMTD ever did, so I'm probably sticking with that!

Just picked a Le Bass up so looking forward to putting it through its paces. Not as big as I thought it might be so that's a bonus!

Another vid of the Le Bass where the guy walks through a number of channel and parameter settings... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xq96qLu21c

Yet another vid... this one a nice in-depth trial from the Andertons chaps in an episode of 'All about the bass'

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdjhTSIWjh0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XdjhTSIWjh0[/url]

Actually this one's quite a good tutorial on the product too...

Edited by visog

I do like the sound of this. That demo is cool, but 10 minutes if talking before the pedal is even turned in is a bit much!

Something of a tale of woe this thread, though. All these issues with power, interference and popping. Are these all confirmed to be defects? Large investment for a floor unit that is anything other than perfect!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1465078347' post='3065202']
I do like the sound of this. That demo is cool, but 10 minutes if talking before the pedal is even turned in is a bit much!

Something of a tale of woe this thread, though. All these issues with power, interference and popping. Are these all confirmed to be defects? Large investment for a floor unit that is anything other than perfect!
[/quote]

I do believe that there was an issue with the first batch of power supplies. I believe that TwoNotes are sourcing a new power supply.
Personally, I bought a One spot CS7 and the pedal now runs super quiet.
On another note I rolled the tube for a Harma DR250 ECC83 and now channel A has more mids and channel B sounds less brittle IMO. Not that it sounded bad before, I just had a spare valve and thought I'd try it.

Edited by Opticaleye

I have no problems with popping, interference or the power supply.

I have an EU one, though, rather than a UK supply.

I've experience some noise issues and pops when the unit was too close to my PC and speaker amplifier... sounds fine now though.

On a separate note... Here's the Le Crunch with bass... I think it sounds a bit more aggressive B7K vs the Le Bass more Vintage Tubes?

See what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dhy6ujlz-4

SpectreSound get round to reviewing it at last... Not the best sounds I've heard from it but worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvYqhE48SA

Is anyone on here using this as a pre-amp , straight into a power amp , as their main rig .

I've seen a lot using it as a pre-amp pedal as part of the board , but can't see if anyone is using it as a pre-amp proper

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1467830300' post='3086619']
Is anyone on here using this as a pre-amp , straight into a power amp , as their main rig .

I've seen a lot using it as a pre-amp pedal as part of the board , but can't see if anyone is using it as a pre-amp proper
[/quote]
Depending on the band situation, I now use it in the FX return of my Markbass so it acts as a pre-amp. In other situations I just wire it to the input of my amp.

[quote name='madame clapotis' timestamp='1467883150' post='3086906']
Depending on the band situation, I now use it in the FX return of my Markbass so it acts as a pre-amp. In other situations I just wire it to the input of my amp.
[/quote]

I don't know about other Markbass models but going into the FX return on an LM2/3 doesn't bypass the preamp section so will not make much difference sadly.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1467886553' post='3086967']
I don't know about other Markbass models but going into the FX return on an LM2/3 doesn't bypass the preamp section so will not make much difference sadly.
[/quote]

There are some jumpers internally though to switch the loop between parallel and series mode - but suprised that it wouldn't be after the preamp though in either case.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1467889243' post='3087014']
There are some jumpers internally though to switch the loop between parallel and series mode - but suprised that it wouldn't be after the preamp though in either case.
[/quote]

I've just checked the schematic again and the return bypasses the gain input but enters before the eq section. There has been much discussion and verification of this on the "other " forum.

Oh, and I tried it too.....

The Le Bass sounds really good straight into the LM11 input though. Way better than my DHA VT1 DI (or anything else I tried) did. :)

I think I recall a review in BassGearMag online which reported the LMII pre was pretty much flat with knobs at noon and filters off anyway.

Edited by dannybuoy

Can anyone shed some light on which double cable I need for the le bass please?

I am using the artec power brick psu http://www.artecsound.com/effect/cpb-12.htm