Why become a member? ×

Two Notes Le Bass preamp

visog

Well so far I'm loving the cold fusion, but still getting to grips with the pedal and its capabilities.

[General Q for folk - the guy who sold his Two Notes it to me (on eBay not one of my fellow BCers I hasten to add!) says that there was no PSU with the pedal when he bought it new. I've asked him where he got his from and am waiting to hear back from him. It's no biggie as I have a Ciocks DC8, but what he says doesn't quite stack up - did anyone else buying new get theirs without a PSU?

Update - he's now agreed that there should have been a 12V PSU included and kindly agreed to knock a little bit off the price to reflect its omission].

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504373522' post='3364497']

Excellent! Be great to get a pic of your 2Notes on your favourite settings, and looking forward to your full review.

I've been asked by Osiris as to how close I can get to the 2Notes sound on my Zoom B3n? We'll if you're up for the challenge too, that would be definitely be cool. Two heads and all that... :)
[/quote]

Pictures and review coming soon...sounded great last night. The rest of the band commented on how great it sounded in their ears as well so that's a win in itself!
Need to spend a bit of time on getting the heavier gain settings perfect for our PA. But there's always going to be a bit of tweaking depending on the room etc.
Cant wait to do some recording with it, hopefully I can get a few clips together.

I'm up for having a go with the B3n, I'm not a million miles off already with the Dark Pre. I don't think it will have the punch that the Le Bass seems to have though !

• 3 weeks later...

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I've had some feedback from fellow BCers that they find accessing the hot and cold fusion modes on the fly, a [/color][/font][i]PITA[/i][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]. [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I think that's a fair comment if you're trying to access both channels to engage the fusion modes with two feet (i.e. one for each foot switch) simultaneously, whilst in the middle of a bass solo and at the same time making sure you don't fall on top of the drum kit in ungainly fashion. [/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But I just had a go at pressing both the Channel switches simultaneously [/font][/color][i]with one foot[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on the 2Notes to engage cold / hot fusion, and actually it's a doddle! Just thought I'd share in case that's of any use to folk using their 2Notes live.[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Lol! I sport a more petite size 9.5, which I'm guessing must make me Mr Pretty-Average-Shoe-Size? (Some may just in fact say Mr Pretty Average all round and leave it at that! :) )

I added just a touch of pre-amp on my pedal board before the 2Notes, with the bass in passive mode, and found that it shunts the 2Notes into a whole additional level of wicked dirt (and actually a pretty similarly pleasing result with my Aguilar Filter Twin - obviously not dirt but funky quack on that one). In both cases whilst keeping the overall volume broadly the same.

I'm guessing this is entirely to be expected and the same result can be got with an active bass - have other folks found this too?

Well as you know Mr Krow I have a Hartke VXL and Cali76G before the Two Notes, so yes I am punching a lot into it from my passive basses.

Works well having everything on with a jazz bass, less so with my P bass, I chose one or t’other either side of the Cali76G

Cheers Mr Cuzzie. I'm starting to better appreciate the impact of you having the Hartke VXL in front of the 2 Notes now having set up a slightly "souped up" SWR SM-400 amp sim on my Zoom B3n as my "pre". It was indeed [i]that[/i] tone which you managed to get with the Hartke plus the Hot Fusion setting on the 2 Notes, combined, that really got my attention when you first demonstrated it and persuaded me to consider getting the 2 Notes in the first place.

It also works well through the big single Nord pups on my Ibby, albeit with a more aggressive tone as compared to your Sandberg jazz. I'd almost go so far to say that the combination of {"pre" + Hot Fusion + Nord pups on the Ibby} is not a million miles from a DG B7K, but IMHO warmer, more rounded / less metallic and, dare I say, just [i]better[/i]! :)

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508240026' post='3390712']
Agreed. If they can find a way of integrating the tone knob on the vintage deluxe/ultra I'd be back on the Darkglass bandwagon. It was the secret sauce of the M900 and my recently departed Vintage Ultra just didn't quite get there. In the meantime I've a Two Notes Le Bass incoming to try to fill that hole. I blame the "Ebay..." forum on here for that one...
[/quote]
[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1508242882' post='3390751']
Two Notes did not disappoint me, I love mine absolutely, it actually sealed the deal for the death of my DG pedal.
Hope you find you love it as much as I do-go in with an open mind and you'll get it right, it's its own beast and will sound it's own way, hope it's right for you, and those fusion modes are mint
[/quote]
[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508244630' post='3390771']
I noticed you're using it with the Hartke VXL Cuzzie. I have one of those too and it's an awesome pedal. Do you have the Hartke pedal clean to push the Two Notes more, or just to fatten things?
[/quote]

Hi Bigwan - welcome to the Two Notes fan club! I had a pretty similar Q to yours for Cuzzie and I think the answer is probably "both", but I'll let the man himself answer (and I've taken the liberty to pull the discussion back over to this thread :))

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508246560' post='3390799']
Hi Bigwan - welcome to the Two Notes fan club! I had a pretty similar Q to yours for Cuzzie and I think the answer is probably "both", but I'll let the man himself answer (and I've taken the liberty to pull the discussion back over to this thread :))
[/quote]

That's cool Al, here or there makes no difference!

I'm guessing I'll love the cold fusion mode...

Edited by Bigwan

Ok-hello all!

Bigwan-I love the Hartke too, but when I was playing G&Ls their pick ups were just too hot, even in passive mode, it took some of the joy out of playing with my pedals, so the Hartke got sidelined as too much signal was being pushed.
Then moved to a lower output and a jazz bass, and the world made sense, the Two Notes came alive.
I then accidentally remembered I had the Hartke and had an inkling they would work together, as I just converted to as small a board as possible to just hold the Cali76G and Two Notes and a tuner, the VXL had to sit on the floor at the front.

I loved the Bassman preset from the manual, and then tinker it a bit from there, and dial up the harmonic dial a bit more, sometimes I max it.

I get a fattening of sound and an overdriven and tend to have both stomps on. When I combine it with channel A and the Cali76G with a bit of germanium dialled in, slight bridge pup preference I love it.
It is a full punchy sound, with a bit of break up. I mainly use a pick and the Hartke gives a slight metallic ‘click’ sound on each attack which allows the note to cut through. When you describe it, it sounds awful(!) but for me it really works.

When using my P bass, I prefer the Hartke on its own, that gives a full and warm overdriven sound. As it’s higher output adding the 2notes just pushes it over the edge and gets a little muddy.

In short, fattens, gently distorts and really pushes the sound through, with that set up I can cover tones from rock to whatever, just great fun, and we have not even touched on the fusion mode!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508533391' post='3392882']
I'm liking this very, VERY much! Only tried it briefly but I think my preamp search is over.
[/quote]

That's marvellous What else have you tried in terms of preamps and dirt and what is it immediately about the Two Notes that trumps them / has brought such a smile to your face?

For me a combination of tight tracking octave down with 50% clean blend (in my case using a COG T16) into the Two Notes in Channel B is producing a gorgeously rich dirt sound that reminds me of Brian May's guitar (albeit a couple of octaves down!), which I'm just loving.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508573146' post='3392978']

That's marvellous What else have you tried in terms of preamps and dirt and what is it immediately about the Two Notes that trumps them / has brought such a smile to your face?

For me a combination of tight tracking octave down with 50% clean blend (in my case using a COG T16) into the Two Notes in Channel B is producing a gorgeously rich dirt sound that reminds me of Brian May's guitar (albeit a couple of octaves down!), which I'm just loving.
[/quote]

Oh let's see...
Hartke VXL
Behringer BDI21
Zoom B3
MXR M80 DI+
Tech 21 VT bass v1, v2 and deluxe
Darkglass vmt, b3k, b7k, vintage deluxe and M900
Ashdown J-lo Hyperdrive (one of my favourite pedals. Looking forward to stacking this with the Le Bass)
A load of DIY stuff: b3k and vmt clones, SFT clone, Runoffgroove Ginger, Ezekiel 25:17 clone, BJFE Blueberry clone (another favourite, but I fear it's now redundant), Xotic Bass RC booster clone, Musket fuzz clone, green russian clone, bazz fuss, probably more I've forgotten about.

Really what I've been looking for recently is a pedal that sounds good straight to a mixer/headphones and gives that "amp on the edge of breakup" tone. The Two Notes is perfect for that and gives the option of a few levels of dirt at the same time. Nice eq points and doesn't have as strong a baked-in tone as the Darkglass or Tech21 stuff.

I really like the cab sim. I know some find it too dark and if I'd the option I might shift the lpf frequency up a tiny little bit, but as standard it's not far away from ideal for me.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1508595568' post='3393190']
If you still have the Hartke run it before the Two Notes, I know i do and you can get further sound combinations which are a real treat
[/quote]

Still have it. It survived the recent cull!

Brilliant, you have to run them together, the Hartke gives the Two notes some extra juice to work with to give a very pleasing sound IMO. I use this combination with my passive jazz, it probably works less well with my p bass or other higher outputs basses I have used

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1508877071' post='3395128']
You need to try a Hudson Broadcast pushing into the front end of those. Lovely stuff 😉
[/quote]

I have the schematic for one of those... Being a diy fan I might give that a rattle!