Why become a member? ×

Expert help '68 fender jazz bass body routed

patrik733

Need some expert help with a 1968 fender jazz bass ,
Great playing bass that I'm about to buy,
When I moved the pick guard I noticed that the body been routed
with a battery cavity (see attached pic )sometime during the 80's I guess :),
Is there a general price drop when it comes to the value of a vintage bass like this
when it has been routed ??
I can also say that the orig pickups are long gone,
The electronic has been changed to new cts pots,
Pickup chrome covers are gone, otherwise all orig,
But it is a great playing bass and should be worth
around 2400£ without the battery routing,
What do you think??

If it was an all original refin it would be worth half of what an original finished instrument is worth. I would consider this to be in the same ballpark ie half the value of an unmolested one......but something is only worth what someone will pay for it and a dealer will often put something like this up with a reasonably hight starting price. I think it's too much given the 'excuses' but interesting none the less if you can get the price down.

IMO the biggest problem is that the original pickups have gone.

I have a 68 P bass and the original pickups have been sold. It doesn't matter that they sounded bleugh and were under powered or that the bass sounds like a million times better with Barts. . . . none of that matters. Think of a number and halve it, then take some more off, and you might be close. The value will be a lot less than you'd expect.

Really, most of the important stuff that makes this a 68 bass is missing.

You can buy so much more for £2000. Seriously good basses are well within your grasp. I'd be looking for a much better bass than this one for that money.

I'd also be worried about selling it. I think you'll have trouble there.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456099604' post='2985461']

You can buy so much more for £2000. Seriously good basses are well within your grasp. I'd be looking for a much better bass than this one for that money.

[/quote]

I agree, there is a gorgeous '72 Precision for sale here for less than £2K, I know it's not a 60's bass, but it's complete, and will only become more valuable.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456133245' post='2985573']
I agree, there is a gorgeous '72 Precision for sale here for less than £2K, I know it's not a 60's bass, but it's complete, and will only become more valuable.
[/quote]

Yes, feeling very tempted to go for this one myself but my bass fund is at present depleted.

It is a great example at a very good price but I suppose if the OP wants a Jazz, then it's not going to fit the bill.

Mayby 2000£ is to much, I've played and own several 60 's jazz bases and
believe me this is one hell of a player!
But I hear you about the second hand value,
The guy that's selling is a drummer and his father was a bass player ,bought the bass brand new 1968, it's been in
the family all these years, quite a history in this bass which I like:)
now when he's father past away he's selling it so he can buy equipment to his studio,
he knows nothing about bass guitars so he didn't know anything about the routing,
Well it's up to me now haha, I will give him an offer and then will see,
Thanks again regarding this body routing /P

Everyone's talking about the routing, but I still think the deal killer to anyone wanting a vintage bass will be the missing pickups and electrics.

A great playing bass guitar can be bought for a lot less than £1000. This bass is so modded that I can't see this being worth more than that.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456139945' post='2985709']
Everyone's talking about the routing, but I still think the deal killer to anyone wanting a vintage bass will be the missing pickups and electrics.
[/quote]

Agreed, it could be a lovely bass to gig with, but I would be thinking around £800 is what I would want to pay.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1456141486' post='2985743']
Id want £800 for a modern usa jazz, must be worth more than that in parts?!
[/quote]
I'm probably being harsh, but the lack of pickups and the routed body really turn me off. I might fall in love with it if I played it, and I really like Dimarzio pickups, but I would want it for used USA prices rather than all original 60s prices.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456099604' post='2985461']

[/quote]

This... top dollar for all original is one thing...this is none of those.

I think you have to get it for a very keen price and the seller has to be realistic,

Personally, I think it is too iffy all round and hard to price, so I'd be looking elsewhere...