Why become a member? ×

The Psychology Of GAS

discreet

[b]The Psychology Of GAS[/b]

Quite a few threads recently about GAS and the justification of it... but just what [i]is[/i] it that makes you want something you don't really need? If you didn't know about the item or items in question and never saw them, would you still want it/them? As has been said in another thread, as a bass player in the real world, (remember that?) you could most probably get by with a halfway-decent mid-range bass and a reasonably good combo amp. But few of us do.

So you see a bass you like the look of. Can you admire it for what it is and move on, or do you imagine yourself owning and playing it regardless of whether you need it or not? If so, do you then go ahead and buy it if you can afford it? Or do you buy it anyway, even though you can't afford it and get yourself into debt, or do without something else that you (or your family) actually need? If this is the case, do you see it as a problem or do you blithely carry on and not think about it too much?

Do you really [i]need [/i]more than one decent, versatile rig? Do you have multiple rigs for possible different scenarios without ever actually being IN those scenarios? Do you have a small rig for pub gigs, a slightly bigger set-up for clubs and bigger rooms and a huge pro rig for stadia and festivals (even though you rarely, if ever, play stadia and festivals)?

Do you have a P bass because it's the industry standard, it's the done thing and everyone's got one? A five string, 'just in case' an imaginary music director asks you to bring one to a fictional session that never happens?

Do you have a Jazz-style bass for the same reason, or because you might one day need 'that Jazz sound', even though you don't particularly like that sound, don't get on with Jazz basses and hardly ever play them? Is it because you have way too much spare time on your hands and spend quite a lot of it fantasising about the things you see, both here and elsewhere, then coming up with plausible (or otherwise) reasons for acquiring them?

Now I'm not being judgemental and I'm not asking you to justify your purchases, I'm merely curious. Personally [i]I think it's all about having the time available to look at shiny things on the interwebz[/i]. This has been brought home to me recently because I have joined a band who are (by my standards at least) very busy. They rehearse a lot and they gig a lot. I have a gig this evening and should be preparing myself for it right now... so...

The bottom line is, since I've had far less time to look at gear and generate GAS, I've had far less GAS. Logical, no? So though I still briefly see things I like, I don't want to buy them and much more importantly, don't automatically start generating plausible reasons for 'needing' them. Because I've got about sixty-odd numbers I need to learn for the band's repertoire. So that's good, isn't it..? Isn't it...?

It's probably blindingly obvious to everyone reading this, but doesn't it make a lot more sense to buy good, basic gear and actually spend your time thinking about and improving your playing rather than looking to upgrade all the time? How many people of this parish are actually better players than the gear they already have and need better/more expensive gear?

Anyway, I must get on... :lol:

Edited by discreet

The psychology of GAS is simple; it is a form of addiction. All human beings, being habit forming creatures by virtue of our neurology, are susceptible to this.

The addiction in this case is fed by the "high" of buying bass new gear. Unfortunately the high, like that of all drugs doesn't last and we are compelled to chase the next one.

GAS is bad for you, just say "NO!"

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1455977206' post='2984164']
GAS is bad for you, just say "NO!"
[/quote]

Ha, ha! I've tried that, but it's simply not having as much time to pursue it that's worked for me.
I suppose a psychologist would call it a 'displacement activity' or some such? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455977420' post='2984168']
Ha, ha! I've tried that, but it's simply not having as much time to pursue it that's worked for me.
I suppose a psychologist would call it a 'displacement activity' or some such? :)
[/quote]
:lol: If it keeps you off the gear then its an effective strategy!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455977420' post='2984168']

[/quote]

I often wonder that.

But also, I wonder if it's about:

Looking for happiness in the wrong place
Not understanding the difference between want and need
Plugging a hole in your life, though you're not aware that the hole actually exists
Addiction to wanting

Or

Just that there are too many nice guitars and basses in the world and we can be fickle beings. Which brings you back to want and need, get that right and the force is with you to resist that GAS.

I'm happy to have fun with GAS if I'm not going to lose money, nothing to lose that way.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1455978134' post='2984183']
But also, I wonder if it's about: Plugging a hole in your life...
[/quote]

If we spent more time plugging holes we wouldn't have as much time for GAS... :D

I'm happy to have fun with GAS if I'm not going to lose money, nothing to lose that way.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that - like any other activity, discretion and moderation are the bywords... ;)

I often wonder that.

But also, I wonder if it's about:

Looking for happiness in the wrong place
Not understanding the difference between want and need
[color=#ff0000][b][size=6]Plugging a hole in your life, though you're not aware that the hole actually exists[/size][/b][/color]
Addiction to wanting

Or

Just that there are too many nice guitars and basses in the world and we can be fickle beings. Which brings you back to want and need, get that right and the force is with you to resist that GAS.

[/quote]

See Skanks post #10 here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/279433-the-clay-dot-myth-they-were-lino/page__pid__2984238#entry2984238"]http://basschat.co.u...38#entry2984238[/url]

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1455981952' post='2984240']
See Skanks post #10 here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/279433-the-clay-dot-myth-they-were-lino/page__pid__2984238#entry2984238"]http://basschat.co.u...38#entry2984238[/url]
[/quote]

Are you saying this thread is dogshit? :D

[size=3]Because it is too easy to get credit and instant gratification these days, and like a sugar rush, it is over very quickly.[/size]

[size=3]I always think of TheThe's song 'True Happiness This Way Lies' when I think of GAS.[/size]

[size=3]I remember my first guitar. A friend's Dad was selling it and I had to pay him [font=arial, sans-serif]£20 down and then [/font][/size][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]£20 per month for 4 months. Then I could take it home and actually call it mine. This was 37 years ago and I remember more about this guitar than any other I have owned. [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]I also recall spending hours learning to play it. Mind you - I didn't have the Internet to distract me.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thing is - if you don't have access to the funds/credit then you make do and mend, you use what you've got.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Still, we should take comfort that we are no different than the armies of golfers up and down the country who pour money into the latest clubs and still shank into the long grass. And at least we don't get soaking wet playing the bass.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]David[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][size=3]and credit [/size]

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1455982947' post='2984262']
Should we just send you the links to nice P basses and save you some time :D
[/quote]

If you like, but I already have two nice P basses so the effects will be minimal. :)

Edit: I do currently have [i]slight [/i]GAS for a small but powerful combo from either Phil Jones or Markbass, but both are beyond my means at the moment and in any case I already have a perfectly good small but powerful combo, so can resist.

Edited by discreet

I agree with the idea that it is plugging a hole in your life.

For me, it is about a misconception of what is playing music. When I am playing in a band, I am playing music with other people and my thoughts go to making music with these people. I may think that I want a dirtier sound and then go after an overdrive pedal to boost the valve preamp I have...this is not GAS. This is wanting something extra to get a sound for the band in which I play.

When I am not playing in a band, I am still thinking about music. But as I am not in a band, I am not playing with other people. I may imagine playing with other people and think that I want a dirtier sound and then go after an overdrive pedal to boost the valve preamp I have. This is GAS. This is wanting something extra to get a sound for a band in which I do not play. Then, the next week, I imagine I am playing in a smooth jazz outfit and buy a double bass and a dinner suit. The week after, a metal band. Ad infinitum...

Of course, I might be mistaken. But there are two times when I buy gear: when I have joined a new band and when I am not in a band. When I am playing with others [u][i][b]and I am musically fulfilled doing it[/b][/i][/u], I do not buy gear.

Edited by JimBobTTD

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Then, the next week, I imagine I am playing in a smooth jazz outfit and buy a double bass and a dinner suit."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's me! That's me! I recognised myself instantly![/font][/color]

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1455984444' post='2984289']
When I am playing in a band, I may think that I want a dirtier sound and then go after an overdrive pedal to boost the valve preamp I have...this is not GAS.

When I am not playing in a band, I may imagine playing with other people and think that I want a dirtier sound and then go after an overdrive pedal to boost the valve preamp I have. This is GAS.
[/quote]

A good example of the difference between GAS and NOT GAS. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455984242' post='2984284']

If you like, but I already have two nice P basses so the effects will be minimal. :)

Edit: I do currently have [i]slight [/i]GAS for a small but powerful combo from either Phil Jones or Markbass, but both are beyond my means at the moment and in any case I already have a perfectly good small but powerful combo, so can resist.
[/quote]

PJB and Markbass it is then!

However I can bide my time, it never takes long.

I know for me it is a psychological thing.
I've bought basses on the net, and in the time it took for it to be delivered, lost all interest in said bass and simultaneously developed GAS for something else.
A bit like a cat and its prey I suppose, once it's mine the interest fizzles away.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1455985745' post='2984312']
I've bought basses on the net, and in the time it took for it to be delivered, lost all interest in said bass and simultaneously developed GAS for something else.
[/quote]

I have given up alcohol and weed for 14 months now since I realised that I don't actually like being drunk or stoned. What I liked most was [i]getting [/i]drunk and stoned, which is completely different. It was the process that I was into. When I smoked tobacco, I would often get a cig out of the packet and light it when I already had one lit. In the end I realised that smoking and drinking were merely habits, nothing more. When you stop doing something it's not a habit any more. That realisation was all I needed to stop doing those things. Not that I'm taking anything for granted, but I'm doing OK so far. :)

Edited by discreet

Man my house is full of stuff i don't need that I've bought over the years, thinking i couldn't live without it.

I buy stuff (like bass gear) to justify to myself why I do an awful awful job for 50 hours a week, telling myself its for the money so that i can buy all this sh*t I couldn't possibly be happy in my life without.

The thing is i don't really need half of this stuff and i've come to the recent realisation I should probably just do something better with my time for less money and not buy as much crap... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

I've cracked the GAS thing I reckon.
I enjoy the high of it, would love to order a custom P5 from somewhere nice but can't afford such luxuries... So I'm building my own, one piece at a time.
Lots of lovely GAS highs as a couple of packages arrive every month. Money that I don't really notice going really. Good thing is I can change my mind as I go.
Should have it together by the end of summer (and in Basses For Sale by Christmas!😂)

A passive bass, an active bass, a combo and a practice amp. That's all I've got and all I need. I really don't yearn for anything else.
One of the reasons I stopped subscribing to BGM was that I realised I was only reading half of it. Barely glance at the gear section at all.
That's not to say I don't enjoy a little noodle on some other gear at various Bass Bashes (as Norris will attest, lol). But I don't deeply long for it.

If you're looking for the (amateur) psychology of it, I guess I'm more into experiences rather than things. I spend way too much money on holidays, food and drink, theatre tickets, weekends away and that sort of thing. But I don't have that much 'stuff' in my life.

Blokes... especially... like collecting stuff.

I have a mate who buys up vintage printing gear and old brass typefaces; another who collects Russian militaria and Geiger counters; one who's into cider making (more gear - and more useful!); another who has more bicycles than is possible to ride in a week; a friend who's running shoe collection puts Imelda Marcos to shame; another who collects T-shirts; my dad who has an attic full of old computers and sheds stocked with HAM radio gear; a mate who collects, builds and sells on vintage cars; numerous friends hoarding piles of vinyl and yet still buying more... and so on.

All things, none of which are needed yet still we feel the urge to acquire more of them. It's odd, innit!? ;)

My wife's response: "at least you're not buying golf clubs". That's about as sensible as it gets.

Me, I really like basses. There are all sorts of basses, all different interesting shapes and pretty colours. Some have different components and constructions and can play or sound very different to others. Some of them speak to a deep fascination I have for the history of certain eras and parts of the musical instrument business, and some need to be restored to playability, or to be tweaked and improved to liberate their potential.

I really, really like basses.

For me to have more basses than sense, I'd probably need only three or four, but I have more than that. Many, many, [i]many [/i]more. It's probably not unreasonable to imagine that I have more basses than actual brain cells.

My basses aren't expensive - in fact I think I have a sort of subconscious inverse snobbery which makes me a little disdainful of certain brands & types. Or maybe this is a mechanism which simply assists me to be able to afford to buy more basses, more often.

I do sometimes sell basses - in fact I many of the basses I own were bought with a view to reselling for profit. But instead I just kept them, because I like them. In fairness though, I've probably sold significantly more than I own, and I don't ever experience any remorse or regret when selling. Although I'm aware that I own several basses that I wouldn't want to part with because I couldn't replace them if I did sell them and then regretted it. Which I know I wouldn't.

I think that you can try to rationalise GAS until you're blue in the face, but ultimately it's not rational behaviour. I cannot rationalise mine beyond saying:

I [i]really[/i] like basses.

Jon.

I've just bought an Ampeg 4x10 and waiting for an Ashdown CTM100 to arrive. I've got a small valve rig (LB30) that not loud enough to gig and although I stepped down the lightweight class D path, i've always wanted that big, all-valve rig. Hopefully that will hold back the GAS for a while.

I bought a mexican P of Lozz a few years ago and I honestly haven't been tempted to buy another bass since... but I know once I clear my credit cards, something will build up inside and i'll be getting another card to put down a deposit for a Mike Lull.

What makes me sit up is when people ask how much I spend on gear... I think £500 for a nice P or £400 on a decent second hand cab is reasonable, my colleagues and friends think i'm crazy, yet I don't feel an ounce of guilt about it.

GAS comes from having too much time on your hands, access to forums and news about exciting new gear and spare funds. It's all fine as long as you can afford it and it's not to the detriment of other parts of your life. But I also think it's kind of unhealthy if you're spending more time looking at gear than playing. I try to resist the gas, as in principle it's not good to needlessly overconsume in a world with finite resource.

Having said that I've managed to accumulate a lot of bass gear, bicycles and watches over the years. But with each of them I've stopped at a certain point and not bought any more. Over time I've realised the more you have the less you cherish what you have and it just leaves you feeling empty.