Why become a member? ×

FENDER... AMERICAN STANDARD VS MODIFIED MEXICAN... which one?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

Ok so, I'm faced with a choice and hoped you guys would help me weigh up the pro's and con's of each please.

I have my eye on a Fender Jazz, this much I'm certain. My budget is £1000. I'm not interested in second hand.

Should I...

Buy an American standard, and rest on my laurels?

OR

Buy a Mexican standard and use the remaining budget to modify; install an active pre amp, bridge upgrade etc?

I never used an active pre amp before, so some part of me is curious of the idea. That being said, I worry about the Mexicans build quality compared to the opposition; isn't the Americans supposed to have graphite reinforced necks- or is all that just bells and whistles?

Cheers.

Apologies for the obvious answer but play as many as you can and choose the bass that feels right for you. I found a great 2012 American Standard. I tried loads out and the one I chose just spoke to me. If you do try them out, you will notice a perceptible difference from instrument to instrument. I particularly like the nice touches on the American models such as the string through body, high mass bridge and the rolled fretboard edges. It feels like a classy bass and the build quality is superb. You may find you prefer a particular Mexican bass. For me, I like the passive tone I get from the custom shop pups but my active needs are met with my Musicman basses. You could try an American Deluxe (or whatever they've started calling them now). This gives you the option of active or passive and they are a fantastic bass but it will push your budget if you buy new. I think they still do a Mexican version but this may be just active - someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Whatever you decide to go for - enjoy the process of trying out as many as possible.

Yeah I agree with mr zed. You really do need to try both.

My view is the USA ones are better the the MIM ones, especially the standard mim models, because the hardware is generally better, electrics mainly the pu's are better and the overall quality here and there is just a touch better. Things like rolled finger board edges and graphite reinforcement in the necks, better bridge do add something.
And for the sentimental romantics, It is also a nice feeling owning a usa one.

The choice gets more difficult when looking at higher end mim models which can be just as good as the us ones, some say better even but of course you pay a premium. If it's just mim standard vs US standard it's definitely the USA model I would go for.

And the standard mim ones are well built and have been for a long time, the higher end mim models do seem to get that bit extra attention paid to them over the bog standard mex models.
The us ones typically do have higher qc, but saying that they are all mass made and you will always get that bit of variation.

Get the US - they are better. Not as much as the price-tag would suggest, certainly not nearly 3 times better, but they are better. I really would however look at 2nd hand - I picked up a 2012 US Jazz on here, with case, for £600, new would be something like £1300. I don`t want to sell it on, but if I did want/need to, well I`m unlikely to lose any money on it, whereas the new/2nd hand ratio - you`ve lost at least £500 as soon as you`ve bought it.

This may look like back-tracking from the above, but my MIM Precision isn`t far away from my US one in terms of build quality and playability. I`ve also swapped the pickups out to the same ones as in my US one and sound-wise now there`s not much in them. Like I said, the US is better, but would I pay £1300 for one - well I probably would, I have this "hoodoo" that says I [u]must[/u] have a US Fender, but I gigged the MIM for a few months and at no point did I feel I had an inferior bass that I couldn`t rely on. getting a good MIM - I`d recommend the post 2012 ones - and putting in your choice of pickups is a good way of getting a very good instrument.

All things being equal, definitely a USA over a Mexican any time. The USA will hold its resale value over the MIM, which regardless of the value of any upgrades, will always still be a MIM bass.

Not that there's anything wrong with MIM basses at all, but in my experience USA Fenders are generally a few notches above, with pickups and hardware that will be great from the outset.

As previously mentioned, don't rule out secondhand tho (either a Mex or a USA). At least then if you decide you've chosen badly, you'll be able to sell without losing a great deal of cash.

Good luck with it all tho - some great basses to be explored!

As many, many people have already said - try before you buy - both MIM, MIA plus the Specials too.

I'd be incline to go straight for the MIA as will have better hardware etc from the word go.

That said, I got really lucky with my Mexican Jazz i bought new in 2006 and could't put it down for 10 years..

It is an exceptional bass. I have however just purchased a MIA Deluxe P which is just plain awesome :D

As everyone else says - try before you buy, and go with the bass you feel you prefer, or represents the best value
Another shout here for Squier Classic Vibes though. I have a CV P bass, and it's amazing quality - a notch above MIM P's
Obviously, that's my opinion - but the build quality isn't - they're really well made

Also, I wouldn't rule out second hand. You can get a lot more for your money, either buy from a shop
or from a trusted BC'er. I've bought several basses from guys on here - basses I wouldn't have been able to afford new

Either way, good luck in your search :)

The problem is that a Mexican is not always a Mexican Standard and a US jazz is not always an American Standard think for example of the highway one stuff . The Deluxes's , special edition stuff, Atrist models like the geddy or even MIJ there's lots inside the fender stable so many different permutations , premium features like block inlays and binding on multi peice bodies ... do you want string through body , or bridge ...

Was looking to do this exact thing a few weeks ago , buying a fender Jazz I tried Mexican standards American standards and I actually settled on one of these http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/70s-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst-3-ply-bwb-pickguard/

My Advice to you is .... you are looking for the " Right Jazz " which is going to be a sum of its parts
make a list of the features you want to see on your jazz and then the right bass will be apparent to you

For example here was mine as a MoSCoW analysis

[b][i]Must have ( M)[/i][/b]
Fender on the head stock
38mm neck
Passive

[b][i]Should have (S)[/i][/b]
Maple fingerboard
bound and block inlay's

[i][b]Could have (C)[/b][/i]
Can see some wood grain in the finish
Satin finish on the fingerboard

[i][b]Wont have (W)[/b][/i]