Why become a member? ×

JOHN EAST J RETRO 01 PRE-AMP? Feedback please?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

Ok so, I was thinking of whacking one of these into my fender mexican jazz; just to give the ol' girl a bit of life again.

I read an article in bass guitar magazine recently, regarding the pre-amp, which sparked my initial interest.

Wanted to know what you guys made of it though? Feedback based on personal use is preferred please.

Cheers.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Excellent sounding preamp, John East sure knows how to design a great EQ. Controls have a useable range. Bass boost, treble boost&cut, bright switch and a mid boost&cut with sweep. Excellent construction. What's not to like? Buy one! BTW, John is very responsive, drop him an email should you have any questions. I have the the DJ Retro preamp in my Lakland.

Edited by Treb

They are 9v pre amps but have the output of an 18v. Monstrous sound. I liked them so much I have J and U-Retros and an ACG EQ-01. All brilliant and easy to use. And yes, John is very easy to deal with, apart from being a genius at pre amp design.

Edited by BassBus

I have a J-Retro in my Dingwall Super J, and had a J-Retro Deluxe in my old Modern Player Jazz. Superb preamps. Very different to the Sadowsky pre in character. I do wish I had the Deluxe in the Super J as the passive tone control is very handy, but that would require a jack socket to be cut so I've avoided it so far.

They're great! I have one in my Jazz. Most of the venues I play provide a backline. So instead of playing about with the EQ of an unfamiliar amp, I just set everything at flat and use the retro to get my sound.

It will give your Mex Jazz a whole new lease of life.

Edited by gjones