Why become a member? ×

Tolerating the intolerable

Nicko

A small point of order. Let us not conflate 'nationalist' and 'separatist'.

A nationalist is one who wishes to assert his/her national identity. A separatist is one who wishes to secede from the country as a whole. The two can overlap, but often don't. Many members of the SNP and Plaid Cmryu are nationalists but not separatists.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456100754' post='2985470']
Wow, did I ever bring up a touchy subject. I had no idea. From now on I'm just going to refer to you guys as bass players.

That's a cracking idea, Blue. And every bit as touchy. New thread coming up. Ha ha ha.

Blue
[/quote]

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456096185' post='2985417']
I could point out that tolerance would allow me to use such a descriptor without castigation, especially in a topic about tolerating the intolerable ;)

I apologise if my chosen adjective struck a nerve but given the proclaimed agendas of organisations such as the BNP, EDL, UKIP etc, it was the politest one I could think of at the time. Feel free to suggest an alternative.

I also apologise for the slight swerve into political territory. My bad. :blush:
[/quote]

You see this is the problem. You can't see past your own border to realise that Scottish Nationalism is a legitimate political position. What you describe as nationalist I would describe as racist.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1456131511' post='2985556']
You see this is the problem. You can't see past your own border to realise that Scottish Nationalism is a legitimate political position. What you describe as nationalist I would describe as racist.
[/quote]

I'd say you're stretching things to suggest Scottish/English border and sovereignty issues are racist rather than nationalist.

I fully accept that Scottish nationalism is a legitimate political position but surely I'm allowed to believe it is also a daft political position? Something I seem to have in common with the majority of Scottish voters.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456139823' post='2985703']
I'd say you're stretching things to suggest Scottish/English border and sovereignty issues are racist rather than nationalist.

I fully accept that Scottish nationalism is a legitimate political position but surely I'm allowed to believe it is also a daft political position? Something I seem to have in common with the majority of Scottish voters.
[/quote]

Of course you can think that Scottish Nationalism is a daft political position just don't lump Scottish Nationalists in with the racist BNP, EDL &UKIP. Your last sentence is unnecessary. I am a floating voter and don't support everything the SNP stands for. I was merely countering your sweeping statement.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1456146838' post='2985830']
Of course you can think that Scottish Nationalism is a daft political position just don't lump Scottish Nationalists in with the racist BNP, EDL &UKIP. Your last sentence is unnecessary. I am a floating voter and don't support everything the SNP stands for. I was merely countering your sweeping statement.
[/quote]

Colgraff made a good point about nationalists and separatists. I certainly didn't mean to imply Scottish nationalists were racist in the sense of the BNP/EDL (because I don't believe that) so I can see why you got upset if you thought I did. Again, apologies if I wasn't clear enough. As for my last sentence, I was just defending my position by referring to the Scottish referendum result - unnecessary or not, the outcome of the vote is now a fact of life and I, for one, think it was a sensible result.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456152605' post='2985957']

Colgraff made a good point about nationalists and separatists. I certainly didn't mean to imply Scottish nationalists were racist in the sense of the BNP/EDL (because I don't believe that) so I can see why you got upset if you thought I did. Again, apologies if I wasn't clear enough. As for my last sentence, I was just defending my position by referring to the Scottish referendum result - unnecessary or not, the outcome of the vote is now a fact of life and I, for one, think it was a sensible result.
[/quote]

You just can't help yourself.

In what way?

I've clarified that I don't believe Scottish nationalism is a racist issue, I've apologised if I didn't make that clear enough initially, and I've confirmed that I agreed with the result of the Scottish referendum, along with (by definition) the majority of Scots voters.

Hardly controversial stuff?

Jumping in with both feet, because I am feeling reckless. I lived in Aberdeen from 1986 to 2002 and, at the time I would have struggled to distinguish between nationalist, separatist and racist. I had White Settler sprayed on my house 11 times, was spat on, barred from pubs, assaulted, had the wheels loosened on my car, was refused from taxis. On most occasions when I reported this to the police, I was told "What do you expect? Go home."

I won't be going back.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456165825' post='2986171']
Jumping in with both feet, because I am feeling reckless. I lived in Aberdeen from 1986 to 2002 and, at the time I would have struggled to distinguish between nationalist, separatist and racist. I had White Settler sprayed on my house 11 times, was spat on, barred from pubs, assaulted, had the wheels loosened on my car, was refused from taxis. On most occasions when I reported this to the police, I was told "What do you expect? Go home."

I won't be going back.
[/quote]

I'm not going to rise to this nonsense. I'm out of here.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456165825' post='2986171']

I won't be going back.
[/quote]

I'm sorry my home city let you down, that's a bloody awful report :(

"White settler" thats actually hillarious :)
I cant tell if thats a satirical joke or true , either way its brass eye quality :)

(Im sure the abuse wasnt funny, but their graffiti is.... Hope you responded by calling them flaxon haired nomadic transients!)

Sorry, im stuck in chris morris mode.

Re the irony of the White Settler term, I remember Billy Connolly saying that you can spot the Aberdonians on the beach in Spain. They're the ones who go from blue to white in the sun.

He also did a nice sketch about Aberdeen beach saying that it lures you in with its beautiful sand and blue waters (it is pretty). Then you get in the water and this stabbing pain goes through your stomach as your testicles try to climb out of the water looking for warmth. That's when you realise that a few miles north it is called the Arctic Ocean.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456173661' post='2986315']
I wasn't setting out to offend anyone, although I should have realised that I would have. Apologies to the Aberdonians. Things did improve in the later years.
[/quote]

Oh no i wasn't offended buddy, i genuinly found it hilarious :)

( the down side of written text i guess)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456100754' post='2985470']
Wow, did I ever bring up a touchy subject. I had no idea.

We have enough crap going on over here in the States, fighting with each other.

From now on I'm just going to refer to you guys as bass players.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm so sorry if I brought up any bad feeling Blue. I was merely pointing out that quite a lot of Americans refer to the UK or Britain as England. I never meant to get at you, I was merely correcting a common mistake as I see it.
I am fiercely proud to be Scottish, but am also fiercely proud to be British.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456139823' post='2985703']

[/quote]

Didn't the SNP get a landslide victory at the last election ?

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1456426556' post='2988969']
Didn't the SNP get a landslide victory at the last election ?
[/quote]Yu

Yup. But remember how the system works: first past the post gets the seat... The SNP actually got around 50% of the votes, a bit more than the 45% the "Yes" got in September 2014. Whether the increase is due to people changing their minds after the referendum or because some agre with SNP as a party minus the independence bit, I don't know. I do know a few people who voted "No" yet they choose to vote SNP because they see it as a more relevant party (and less vomit-inducing) than the rest...