Why become a member? ×

Rotosound strings ?

The Hat

Yes, great tone, but they are quite rough on the fingers and don`t hold the brightness that long, I need to change them monthly to retain the tone I want. Many other strings have much better life-span, are nicer to play, and not so much tension, but for me all that counts for nothing against the tone I get from Rotos.

Oh God, here we go... :D

It's a very emotive thing. I think you'll get as many answers as there are folk on here. I don't use them, they don't suit me at all, but I will say the customer service I had when I tried a set was terrific.

Try a set, see what you think...

No. I don't like the zingy tone. Their life span is short as they don't simply mellow, to a good tone, they simply die IME.

It takes all sorts to make a world, and I don't play punk like Lozz does.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1455641974' post='2981029']

Try a set, see what you think...
[/quote]

Oh, come on!!! Where would be be if everyone did that!! :P

I used Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass for decades, then struck a batch that were rough and went dead quickly. I switched to Rotosound RB45s and they're pretty much the same as RS66 only smoother, better-sounding (in my opinion), longer-lasting and... you get the picture. :)

At the moment my favourite rounds are DR Sunbeams. You can't go wrong with DR, generally. In my opinion, again.

Edited by discreet

Used RS66's for years then tried a set of RS Nexus,brilliant strings. There was a dodgy batch a few year back,packaging company changed the paper sleeves to a moisture retaining paper,
all sorted out now as the paper sleeves were changed to bags.

Used the nylon ones too for a number of years.

I know for you experienced people,the what strings question maybe a pain to keep answering but the trouble is as a beginner I don't have the experience to know what's good and what's not. I'm just after quality strings that will be easier to play for my fingers

Edited by The Hat

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1455646062' post='2981100']
I know for you experienced people,the what strings question maybe a pain to keep answering but the trouble is as a beginner I don't have the experience to know what's good and what's not. I'm just after quality strings that will be easier to play for my fingers
[/quote]

Well in that case I would recommend D`Addario Pro Steels. Definately the most comfortable roundwounds I`ve played, last a long time as well. Regular-Light gauge are 45, 65, 80, 100 and they are so comfortable to play.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1455646062' post='2981100']
[/quote]

I think I should clarify that my "Oh God here we go..." wasn't aimed at you in that sense...more in a "Well, that'll open the floodgates and there'll be 50 recommendations to muddy the waters very soon" kinda way... :D

The coated Elixirs aren't cheap, but they last a long time and I'd say are the smoothest-feeling rounds out there...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sir.

I like Swing '66 overall. The single best set of strings I have used was RS66LF; a very bright, cutting tone that lasted for months. However, I find them frustratingly inconsistent. Their low B strings sound always very dull which contrasts too much with rest of the set by my experience.

Regarding the Rotobass Nickel-wound, they're always decent. They a smooth feel and good glassy sound scross the set, including on my 5-string.

If you get a good set of Stainless Steel Swing '66 they're the best strings of them all but I have found other brands more reliable, such as D'Addario and GHS.

Cheers.

I tried them recently and although not the most scientific test (coincided with new pickups in bass AND a new head) they sound great to my ears.

What I don't understand is why the price varies so much. From sites like GAK or Strings Direct they are about £18 a go, on eBay they can be had for about £12.50. Anyone got any theories why?