Why become a member? ×

NS Radius Wav 4 - good for bad backs?

NoirBass

Has anyone tried one of these?

I've suffered with neck/shouder/back trouble for years and am wondering if I need to get a more ergonomically designed bass to ease/reduce the problem. I'm mainly using a P bass these days, but have recently been using a Danelectro Longhorn as its lighter and less to carry on the tube.

I've tried out a Hohner B2A, which I like for the size and tone, but it sits awkwardly on the strap and so exacerbates my back issues.

The NS Radius Wav looks like it could cop a decent P tone, is light and small enough and seems like it could be just the ticket. Thoughts please people from owners or those that have tried one.

Not tried one, but I've got some very similar Mo Clifton basses. It really depends on the nature of your condition, but a headless bass (with body) on a good strap would be well worth trying. Comfort straps or the Levy's neoprene version are also a good idea, even with lighter basses. Looks like a great design.

The tone will be moe modern/active, but you can adjust that with settings and strings.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1455470803' post='2979372']
I've had an on-off neck shoulder prob for the last 7-8 years. I bought a Status Streamline which I've found spot on because it's light and balances really well. Sounds well too....
[/quote]

Yeah, looked at those too, nearly pulled the trigger on the recent streamline in the ads section.

The WAV appeals more because it'll freak my band mates out less and from what I can gather from YouTube will sound more traditional.

Edited by NoirBass

Recently bought a WAV Radius 4-string from danweb22 here - I have back, neck and shoulder problems - and this bass is superb. Quite light but more importantly really well balanced and the lack of headstock means it doesn't pull so much on the shoulder. Can happily wear it for an hour or two without problems. I also have a Steinberger Synapse and that is good but not so comfortable as the Radius. The bi-radial design (curve front and back) of the Radius means the bass tucks in well (or hugs the gut...) and you hardly notice it's there. The sound is (IMO) better than the Synapse too - more traditional sounding and the piezo in the bridge is more controlled than on the Synapse. Sounds thunderous through my GK head into two Markbass cabs and had some very favourable comments.

Overall, love it and have already sold one bass with another on the market because they're getting no love at all since the Radius arrived. Also considered selling the Synapse but can't quite bear to, but that thought was totally unthinkable pre-Radius... so, yeah, great bass. Buy one :D

If you're ever down in Somerset and haven't bought one already, pop in and have a go :)

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1455493452' post='2979647']
Recently bought a WAV Radius 4-string from danweb22 here - I have back, neck and shoulder problems - and this bass is superb. Quite light but more importantly really well balanced and the lack of headstock means it doesn't pull so much on the shoulder. Can happily wear it for an hour or two without problems. I also have a Steinberger Synapse and that is good but not so comfortable as the Radius. The bi-radial design (curve front and back) of the Radius means the bass tucks in well (or hugs the gut...) and you hardly notice it's there. The sound is (IMO) better than the Synapse too - more traditional sounding and the piezo in the bridge is more controlled than on the Synapse. Sounds thunderous through my GK head into two Markbass cabs and had some very favourable comments.

Overall, love it and have already sold one bass with another on the market because they're getting no love at all since the Radius arrived. Also considered selling the Synapse but can't quite bear to, but that thought was totally unthinkable pre-Radius... so, yeah, great bass. Buy one :D

If you're ever down in Somerset and haven't bought one already, pop in and have a go :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that reply. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Right, I need to flog a few bits.......

Just to add - took the Synapse out yesterday and today... my shoulder hurts, which it hadn't since starting with the Radius... anecdote doesn't equal hard data but I did notice it today...
I was up at Wunjo's a week or two ago and they had a Radius 4-string (the matte black one) but I didn't see the price... might be worth giving them a shout on a trade...

Ned S worked with John Bolin a few years back and produced what would count as the forerunner to this Radius Wav; light, superb balance and even though it is headed, the 'horn extension' foreshortens the 34" scale neck... even the body shape is a direct take on the Bolin. Ned is a bit of a whizz mind! :)