Why become a member? ×

Compressor Advice

EskimoBassist

Hey,

Firstly, sorry for starting my own thread to talk about this, i have used the search function and looked through numerous threads, but i have a few direct questions i was hoping someone could answer.

I run quite a hot signal with a plethora of overdrive/fuzz units usually turned on and so i am looking for a compressor, preferably in stomp box form, to help even out my signal and prevent my amp (or someone else's amp perhaps more importantly) from being blown.

And so [b]which Compressor would you suggest i purchase[/b]? I've read good things about the [b]Aphex Punch Factory[/b], the [b]EBS[/b] and the [b]BBE Opto Stomp[/b] all which seem within my price range of [b]£100[/b].

It is important that i buy a durable pedal and i do want it to be [b]transparent[/b] when turned on. Hence why i am willing to spend the extra as it seems that the Aphex may not be too road hardy.

Thanks for your help, Rich

Hello.

I'm also in the market for a compressor pedal at the mo and like you I've been searching far and wide for the holy grail. In theory at least, I think I've found it. I'm getting me one of them Maxon CP-9PRO+ pedals. They retail for about £160, but there's one on ebay at the mo for under £100.

Here's the link: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160258569554&Category=22669"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...;Category=22669[/url]

For rave reviews go here: [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Maxon/CP-9+Pro%2B/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...P-9+Pro%2B/10/1[/url]

If you'd like to read up a little more about compressors, go here: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url] (I think I found this link on this forum)
The Maxon is also featured under the impressive list of goodies.

Now, young Eskimo bassist, may I sell you some ice so that I too can afford my compressor? :)

Happy Squeezing!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='287921' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:53 AM']Hey,

Firstly, sorry for starting my own thread to talk about this, i have used the search function and looked through numerous threads, but i have a few direct questions i was hoping someone could answer.

I run quite a hot signal with a plethora of overdrive/fuzz units usually turned on and so i am looking for a compressor, preferably in stomp box form, to help even out my signal and prevent my amp (or someone else's amp perhaps more importantly) from being blown.

And so [b]which Compressor would you suggest i purchase[/b]? I've read good things about the [b]Aphex Punch Factory[/b], the [b]EBS[/b] and the [b]BBE Opto Stomp[/b] all which seem within my price range of [b]£100[/b].

It is important that i buy a durable pedal and i do want it to be [b]transparent[/b] when turned on. Hence why i am willing to spend the extra as it seems that the Aphex may not be too road hardy.

Thanks for your help, Rich[/quote]

I've tried all three of these. IMHO the BBE and EBS are better than the Aphex in virtualy all areas. There really isn't much difference between the EBS and the BBE, except the price. The Demeter Compulator appears to be the high bar, but I've never used/heard one.

Warning, some compresor pedals distort if you put too much volume into them, and they may not have a high enough ratio to be used as a limiter, which sounds like what you want. I've only tried the EBS and Diamond compressors, both of those clip when I bang my open E string hard, which is why I'm looking at a Maxon CP9-Pro+, as it internally converts the 9v to 18v which supposedly gives it a higher headroom.

There are lots of options. The Carl Martin is a proper compressor limiter with a full set of knobs, look for second hand in your budget. T-rex do a nice looking valve compressor but that is new and expensive so dont expect to see any used. DHA also does a valve compressor.

I use an EBS but it does have a pad for hot basses - not sure if dannybouy had/used that. The thing is active/passive switches can be misleading depending on how you use your actives. I always gain from flat so if I give it loads of boost I roll back the volume to compensate.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='288319' date='Sep 21 2008, 12:24 AM']There are lots of options. The Carl Martin is a proper compressor limiter with a full set of knobs, look for second hand in your budget. T-rex do a nice looking valve compressor but that is new and expensive so dont expect to see any used. DHA also does a valve compressor.

I use an EBS but it does have a pad for hot basses - not sure if dannybouy had/used that. The thing is active/passive switches can be misleading depending on how you use your actives. I always gain from flat so if I give it loads of boost I roll back the volume to compensate.[/quote]

Actually I did solve the problem on the EBS by using the internal trimpots (I turned the left one down to about 10 o'clock). My Diamond comp just distorts big time on the low E, there's no trimpot to adjust as it's a fixed ratio pedal and the comp knob is actually a pre-gain control. I'm hoping that running it at a higher voltage (t can take 9v to 24v) will improve the headroom, as apart from this problem this pedal is great. Otherwise it'll be sold to a guitar player who'll get more love out of it!

[quote name='ARGH' post='288363' date='Sep 21 2008, 05:11 AM']Its always worth spending an afternoon,just fiddling with one,to get the best sound from it.

Im wondering about getting a DHA,I need one,Im just too lazy in buying one right now.[/quote]

mine's up for grabs - i'm just not getting the useage out of it that i thought...bung em a pm if you're interested.

[quote name='Duarte' post='288308' date='Sep 21 2008, 12:00 AM']Electro harmonix compressors I've found to be quite good. Especially the black finger (tube) compressor. Although the white finger is also excellent.[/quote]

they're amazing, and totally transparent. i picked up my blackfinger secondhand for only 85 pounds off of here. it can do all sorts of compression, from light and transparent to really hard...and it really does sound amazing -- the only drawback is, it's quite large, and it needs its own power supply.

On another forum Max Valentino highly advocates the Demeter Compulator for live use (in the studio he has some of those crazy expensive valve beasts). A good man to listen to on that front! The Aphex Punch Factory is a great choice if you want a more transparent compressor. I used to use a TE Dual Compressor which works well if you don't mind the very midrangey EQ it inflicts on everything - good for punching through a rock band.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='289324' date='Sep 22 2008, 05:16 PM']On another forum Max Valentino highly advocates the Demeter Compulator for live use (in the studio he has some of those crazy expensive valve beasts). A good man to listen to on that front! The Aphex Punch Factory is a great choice if you want a more transparent compressor. I used to use a TE Dual Compressor which works well if you don't mind the very midrangey EQ it inflicts on everything - good for punching through a rock band.

Alex[/quote]

Demeter Compuator with passive... yup. No distortion.
Demeter Compuator with active... nup. Distortion.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='287921' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:53 AM']Hey,

Thanks for your help, Rich[/quote]

Hiya, I'm selling my Toadworks Mr. Squishy compressor if you're interested?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28059"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28059[/url]
Review here: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/squishy.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/squishy.shtml[/url] which I would agree with + it's very solidly built IMO :)

Edited by Protium

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='288319' date='Sep 21 2008, 12:24 AM']DHA also does a valve compressor.[/quote]

That doesn't do what a digital compressor (like the Aphex) does, as I found out when I bought one of each ....
The OP seems to be after what I'd call "normal" compression - ie evens out the peaks and troughs.
So I'd suggest talking to Dave Hall about his before venturing that way.

It's the Trace Elliot Dual Band SMX one for me. May work for you too. Now discontinued but quite often on eBay Circa £50-60 squid when they come up.
The dual band is great for me as I don't need the top compressed, just the bass end, and it's as tough as old boots...

The Diamond compressor wipes the floor with the EBS now that I'm running it at 18v courtesy of a Diago 9v->18v converter (it was clipping at 9v when thumping the low E), got mine imported from Humbucker music.

Subtle squash, very smooth quiet studio like sound. Unfortunately the ratio is fixed and the comp knob controls the threshold, but it's set just right for me plus the eq is useful for rolling off the highs. On the board it goes!

[quote name='OldGit' post='290151' date='Sep 23 2008, 05:41 PM']That doesn't do what a digital compressor (like the Aphex) does, as I found out when I bought one of each ....[/quote]

Optical, not digital. LED shines at light dependant resistor - the brighter the LED the higher the resistance of the LDR and the greater the compression.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='290564' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:52 AM']Optical, not digital. LED shines at light dependant resistor - the brighter the LED the higher the resistance of the LDR and the greater the compression.

Alex[/quote]

Mea culpa.. I thought it was "optical Vs digital".

So, what I mean is... there's a significant difference between:

"Whatever the type like the the Dave Hall VT-1 does to the sound" vs "Whatever the ones built into things like Peavey, Trace Elliot etc combos does to the sound"

:)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='289324' date='Sep 22 2008, 05:16 PM']I used to use a TE Dual Compressor which works well if you don't mind the very midrangey EQ it inflicts on everything - good for punching through a rock band.
Alex[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='290151' date='Sep 23 2008, 05:41 PM']It's the Trace Elliot Dual Band SMX one for me. May work for you too. Now discontinued but quite often on eBay Circa £50-60 squid when they come up.
The dual band is great for me as I don't need the top compressed, just the bass end, and it's as tough as old boots...[/quote]
It be what I use too, I love it. Again, i mainly use low end compression, not a whole lot on the top. And it's survived over 10 years of abuse without flinching.