Why become a member? ×

describe the modern bass player

Shonks

[i]Modern = contemporary, not antiquated... up to date.[/i]

In my opinion relevance is more important than being [i]modern [/i]as [i]modern [/i]has a close association with that which is currently fashionable.

Modern bass player = up to date, contemporary and closely aligned to current trend (even if that is a trend for old technology or ideology)

Relevant bass player = meaningful and impactive (often regardless of the norm or current trend)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1455369471' post='2978490']
[i]Modern = contemporary, not antiquated... up to date.[/i]

In my opinion relevance is more important than being [i]modern [/i]as [i]modern [/i]has a close association with that which is currently fashionable.

Modern bass player = up to date, contemporary and closely aligned to current trend (even if that is a trend for old technology or ideology)

Relevant bass player = meaningful and impactive (often regardless of the norm or current trend)
[/quote] :sleep: ................oooops, nodded off there....... :sorry:

(grin) 71 and retired a few years back from pro playing.
I now have a fender copy of my original 62 precision because I can finally afford a decent instrument again, playing through a modern lightweight amp and cabinet because I couldn`t lift the old rig into the back of my estate car any more.
Gig so irregularly these days I actually wound up with two blisters on my first and middle finger, right hand Saturday night.

DId I mention I had to give up all dairy foods because my voice crapped out after years of abuse?
Saturday night was also the first time of singing in earnest for eight months... sore throat hurt like hell Sunday morning.

Am I a modern player? Hell NO!

Do I still enjoy it?
Hell YES!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1455530581' post='2979814']
(grin) 71 and retired a few years back from pro playing.
I now have a fender copy of my original 62 precision because I can finally afford a decent instrument again, playing through a modern lightweight amp and cabinet because I couldn`t lift the old rig into the back of my estate car any more.
Gig so irregularly these days I actually wound up with two blisters on my first and middle finger, right hand Saturday night.

DId I mention I had to give up all dairy foods because my voice crapped out after years of abuse?
Saturday night was also the first time of singing in earnest for eight months... sore throat hurt like hell Sunday morning.

Am I a modern player? Hell NO!

Do I still enjoy it?
Hell YES!
[/quote]

You see, this is the kind of post I love. Listening to guys that "get it"

Blue

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455356029' post='2978346']

I've always wondered how old you are... You've never mentioned it before.
[/quote]

There are new members that might not know my age.

Age is a factor in many BC discussions. I wish more members would include their age in their posts and threads.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455559975' post='2980238']
There are new members that might not know my age.

Age is a factor in many BC discussions. I wish more members would include their age in their posts and threads.

Blue
[/quote]

I suspect that many members are cagey about their age as they would prefer that their opinions were not viewed through the prism of their age. There is a distressing tendency of too many members to assume that their views are superior by virtue of superior age; far too many members adopt a patronising attitude towards young members in a way that would not be tolerated by the moderators were the recipients of the comments, for example, female.

I don't see why a contributor's age is important. I guess to some people it helps to convey their perspective, particularly for people who feel they belong to a certain era, but I don't feel older people are necessarily wiser than their younger counterparts.

I'm 41, for the record. But I still get excited about young bands making new sounds. And I do feel that younger musicians are typically more interesting to listen to. Youth is interesting, and the young are usually cash poor and time rich, so they have more opportunity and more incentive to be creative.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455571820' post='2980410']

I suspect that many members are cagey about their age as they would prefer that their opinions were not viewed through the prism of their age. There is a distressing tendency of too many members to assume that their views are superior by virtue of superior age; far too many members adopt a patronising attitude towards young members in a way that would not be tolerated by the moderators were the recipients of the comments, for example, female.
[/quote]

I think your missing my point.

All I'm saying is, when a bass chat member asks a more than elementary question about anything band related my answer for a 17 year old is going to be different from my answer to a 60 year-old member most of the time.

For example, to a 17 year old I might say;

"Sounds like a good idea, you have your whole life ahead of you, go for it."

Same question to a 60 year old my answer might be;

"You do realize your 60 years old?"

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455594492' post='2980532']

All I'm saying is, when a bass chat member asks a more than elementary question about anything band related my answer for a 17 year old is going to be different from my answer to a 60 year-old member most of the time.

Blue
[/quote]

Hey Blue, I presume you are talking about after gig party antics with the groupies?
:)

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455594492' post='2980532']

Blue
[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I meant. Not everyone wants advice/opinions to be determined by their chronological age.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455611710' post='2980581']

That's pretty much exactly what I meant. Not everyone wants advice/opinions to be determined by their chronological age.
[/quote]

Would you agree that age could impact your answer to some questions.

If I ask a question about certain performance or band issues, personally, I want an answer geared toward a 63 year old not a 17 year old. But that's just me.

Blue

Edited by blue