Why become a member? ×

Selling the dearest bass in my collection ....

Tonight , a basschatter will be buying my 1977 Fender Telecaster bass.
Mixed emtions TBH .

I wouldn't have plaid over a thousand pounds for a bass in the beginning .
What made me buy it back in 2004 , was that I sold a very rare piece of vinyl from Metallica .
I was gonna pay bills , but decided to buy this instead . Because it is 'antique' , I always said I'd never sell it .

Bizarre really , as I'm a headless guy .
When I was in a 'serious ' covers band , the other band members said ' get a proper bass ' etc.
When I got this , ' it's too wooly/ muffled' etc.

So , after a couple of large bills , I decided to sell it. ( I withdrew it a couple of times .)

So the plan is , in a few months/ next year when I get a bit of cash ( inheritance not much ) ,I'm gonna get a status , or kubicki, or steinberger trams trem or cricket bat .

I'll probably feel better then .
I have 5 other basses anyway;)

Ray , i know how your feeling i suffer massive buyers and sellers remorse but if its the right decision to let it go because the bass isn't working for
you ... then its the right decision, I do the same with my "good bass" its not really right for me but i regret keeping it around because
I dont play it enough over my cheapy jazz

if you suddenly feel nostalgia for a telebass , but with a status twist... jump on the train or 281 to Kingston ill let you have a go on this .

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/synthaside/media/IMG_01803_zpseqcjqngc.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by synthaside

Its actually up with Rob in the status workshop right now , having a service and robs assessing if it could take a J pickup in the bridge position , which might make me actually want to play the thing .. shame, because visually its a thing of beauty which i just cant get on with.

Edited by synthaside

I understand your pain. I have put my most expensive bass up for sale a couple of times when I needed the cash (usually for a gas induced purchase) but withdrew it on both occasions. Glad I did as I'd really miss it if it went. Always found another way. In fact I sold a fantastic 2012 American Standard Jazz to part fund a Stingray HH. Missed the Jazz and managed to buy it back whilst keeping hold of the Stingray. Wouldn't have been the end of the world if the Jazz wasn't available as they are in plentiful supply but you'll struggle to get the Telecaster replaced with an equivalent. Sorry, I'm not helping here am I? Just be 100% sure that it's the right thing to do for you.

Whilst mine isn't an 'antique', I'm finding myself in a similar conundrum.

I've a 2002 Fender Jazz '75 AVRI FSR which is in pristine condition, but a few rehearsals aside, it has been pretty much sitting idle in its case since I traded it with Karlfer from this here parish back in Dec 2013.

But it's an absolutely cracking bass, and although I haven't quite 'gelled' with it to date, I'm not sure that I'm ready to part with it even though for the last 12-18 months or so I've always found myself over-looking it for either my Lakland Skyline JO or Decade.

Don't think it has even been out the case in 6-months...I hope it's still there when I go back...!! :ph34r: :lol:

Edited by lou24d53

Do what I did and sell it on a first-refusal basis, i.e. if the buyer ever moves it on he lets you know and you get first dibs. That's how I got my USA 76P back after five years in the wilderness (it was actually under Rumple's bed). :D I've learnt my lesson.

Edited by discreet

Rumple's a cool guy . Can't remember what business we did together .
Karlfer told me I'll regret selling this .
Surprised he hasn't seen this thread .

I sold a couple of basses to Essex bass chat ( Tom is s great guy ). I've got first refusal for those ;)

There are many ways I'm looking at the sale tonight .i have hardly picked up any of my basses for months . If I do, it's the Washburn status, or the vester fretless .
I'm due to get some cash later in the year/ early next year , and say to myself, if I really want another tele bass then I can get one . Even a first generation .
I'll probably go for a status tho ' TBH ;)

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453820838' post='2963082']
Ha Ha .... this is terrible we're all awful ... Lou how much do you want for that 75 Avri .... if its white i could be in trouble
[/quote]

Your alright then mate, it's Candy Apple Red, with matching headstock... ;)

Putting the Wal up for sale has caused me a bit of emotional turmoil. It's up there though, and if somebody meets the asking price without being too much of a dick about it then it'll go.

I actually turned down an offer from an American source the other day. Mind you, he spent a fair while whingeing about the condition (um... it's a 32-year-old bass, dude...), and then tried to have me believe that he was doing me a favour by offering the derisory sum he said he'd pay. In truth that wasn't hard to turn away. The next one might be harder... :unsure:

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453814580'

if you suddenly feel nostalgia for a telebass , but with a status twist... jump on the train or 281 to Kingston ill let you have a go on this .

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/synthaside/media/IMG_01803_zpseqcjqngc.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Blimey... that is stunning.

Once upon a time, redundancy forced me to sell my modest classic collection of a '78 Jazz, two '70s Les Paul Triumphs, and a 'Thunderbird' custom-made by John Diggins for Dave Mason when he joined Delaney & Bonnie. But do I ever regret it? Only every day!!

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453815856' post='2962994']
Its actually up with Rob in the status workshop right now , having a service and robs assessing if it could take a J pickup in the bridge position , which might make me actually want to play the thing.
[/quote]

First thing I thought on seeing that gorgeous bass was, shame you cant stick a small, matt black, soap bar or JB pickup, by the bridge. With a pan control, it could be amazing.

Been there myself a few times so get where you're coming from. These days though I simply keep the ones that I get real use of and let go of the ones that I own just because I like them for whatever reason. I find it healthier really and though I've let go of some killer basses I know that I have what I need, not want I want.

For me that's simpler and financially better, but I love that other guys have a big collection either because they can or because that's what they like.

Just depends what camp you're in, or forced into.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453814580' post='2962970']
Ray , i know how your feeling i suffer massive buyers and sellers remorse but if its the right decision to let it go because the bass isn't working for
you ... then its the right decision, I do the same with my "good bass" its not really right for me but i regret keeping it around because
I dont play it enough over my cheapy jazz

[/quote]

Mmm,.. Got cash ....aahm...errr....

Ha ha , shame i haven't got the bass , its up in Colchester with status ... my post work practice has reminded my that I'm definitely a jazz person .. :-)
Perhaps when its back in a week or so , ill fire you a PM ... perhaps you come round have a nice Belgian beer , or soft beverage of your choice and a noodle on it . ~

How are you feeling now the telebass has gone ? of course this bass is not for sale ... never ever No No ... well maybe ... to the right person who'll treat her right .

This links for grayn that's what it would look like if it were furnished with a J

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/image/basses/retro_pino.jpg"][/url]

Edited by synthaside