Why become a member? ×

MUSICMAN STINGRAY 2EQ? (VOL/TREB/BASS)

Greg.Bassman

Hey all. Ok so, I have my sights set on a Stingray; a good 'ole 2-band single humbucker.

Admittedly, I'm still alittle unsure about the nature of the controls. Unlike the 3-band, which features centre detents to indicate the 'flat' point of the bass, I believe the 2-band controls are boosts only; does this mean that the 'flat' point on the 2-band is when both controls are rolled off to 0? or am I off?

Cheers.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1453603632' post='2961006']
Unlike the 3-band, which features centre detents to indicate the 'flat' point of the bass, I believe the 2-band controls are boosts only; does this mean that the 'flat' point on the 2-band is when both controls are rolled off to 0? or am I off?

Cheers.
[/quote]

Correct they don't have a centre decent but they are boost and cut.

The 3 band EQ has more mid range at centre detent so you have to cut it a little (and boost bass and treble slightly) to get a comparable sound.

The 2 band does sound excellent though and is a good choice.

Its very much a case of "use your ears" with that eq..........

And i dont think many eq systems are actually flat at centre anyway, theyre all voiced differently - the 3 band MM preamp has a high pass filter which thins out the bass a little too. Its very noticeable when you play it next to a 2 band.

If youre local, youre welcome to pop round and have a blast on mine. I just took out a 3 band eq and replaced it with a John East to get it more like the 2 band and also have a standard 2 band Ray as well

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1453634876' post='2961176']
On the 2-band the bass is boost only, the treble is cut and boost.
[/quote]

I think it's been quoted by EBMM that the bass and treble controls on the 2 band EQ are both cut and boost. I agree entirely that these are very much adjust according to what your ears tell you - also as you cut/boost, the mid range is more/less audible.

The high pass filter on the EBMM 3 band EQ is designed to adjust out boomy bass frequencies.

Edited by drTStingray

Ah right, I was going on the info on this page, which is pretty thorough

http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm

[quote][b]Although the Treble and Bass controls have no centre detent position, the pre-amps appear to be [u]CUT and BOOST[/u] with respect to [u]the treble control[/u] . On the other hand, the pre-amp is [u]boost only[/u] with respect to the [u]bass control[/quote][/u][/b]

Cut and boost with no detent. Probably my favourite ever bass preamp , I always just max the bass, then a wee touch of treble - adjust treble to taste as required. You can also get huge variations in tone between playing over pickup and at edge of neck, probably more so than any other bass IMHO. That's before you start picking. Or slapping of course...

You always get folks who max out both, slap it like a poor Flea imitation (usually in music shops) then complain that the Rays a one trick pony. Baws, as we say up here in Scotlandshire....

Hi all. Great feedback, cheers!

As far as 2-band's go, I've only tried one of the limited editions (no hardcase/limited colours) that they released some time back; and I can confirm that there was no detents on that one- so naturally I've assumed that all 2-band'ers are like that.

The quote that I have sent off for was to Musicman themselves; 100% uncompromised Ernie Ball. Do you think [i]that bass[/i] would be the same, or feature detents?

[/quote]

This why my understanding too. Why can't Musicman make it common knowledge?

I did have a 2eq years ago and it was great. One of the best playing basses I've had.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1453668276' post='2961634']
Hi all. Great feedback, cheers!

As far as 2-band's go, I've only tried one of the limited editions (no hardcase/limited colours) that they released some time back; and I can confirm that there was no detents on that one- so naturally I've assumed that all 2-band'ers are like that.

The quote that I have sent off for was to Musicman themselves; 100% uncompromised Ernie Ball. Do you think [i]that bass[/i] would be the same, or feature detents?
[/quote]

Those cheaper ltd edition 133 series Rays are proper full fat 2 band Stingrays in just a couple of colours with a gigbag instead of hard case to keep the cost down. I heard they may have poplar bodies too - not such a nice grain so used on solid colours.

They have the same preamp as a £1500+ Stingray ordered from the UK distributor/Ernie Ball.

If you like black, pearl blue or candy red you may as well go for one and save a few quid. There are still a few around in the shops if you have a hunt.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1453668276' post='2961634']
[/quote]

All of the 2 bands, be they in USA Sub, standard Stingray 2 bands or Classic Rays (or pre Ernie Ball for that matter) do not have centre detent controls so yours won't have them.

The only minor differences around, but rare, are the gilded white LE Stingray (produced a few years back as a PDN model) on which one of the three controls is a push-pull pot which activates/deactivates the active electronics and changes to a passive tone control. To make matters more complicated, EBMM supplied a limited number of regular Rays (and possibly Classic Rays) to Guitar Centre in the same time period with this same feature, which crop up on classifieds (usually Talkbass) occasionally. Some USA Subs were built as passive basses and thus do not have active electronics.

The 133 basses were IIRC standard red, white or blue coloured 2 band Stingrays, as stated provided with a gig bag instead of a hard case, and were part of a celebration of 50 years of Strings and Things distributing in the Uk for EB. They were originally £999 new. 133 is part of the build code.

Edited by drTStingray

[/quote]

This is correct. Link below explains it all.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/226943-understanding-music-man-stingray-2-band-preamp.html

Note I have a 2eq and a 3eq. With a 2eq, I find it better to go easy on bass boost as it quickly becomes overpowering.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' timestamp='1453714250' post='2961945']

This is correct. Link below explains it all.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/226943-understanding-music-man-stingray-2-band-preamp.html

Note I have a 2eq and a 3eq. With a 2eq, I find it better to go easy on bass boost as it quickly becomes overpowering.
[/quote]

I agree with this - except for the boost and cut - see attached clarification - also clarified in the thread by Rod Trussbroken (owner of the website Musicman.org).

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/52008-cut-boost-2-band-eq.html

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1453721237' post='2962032']
I agree with this - except for the boost and cut - see attached clarification - also clarified in the thread by Rod Trussbroken (owner of the website Musicman.org).

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/52008-cut-boost-2-band-eq.html"]http://forums.ernieb...-2-band-eq.html[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, the link I sent (on page 2 with graphs) mentions both bass and treble are cut & boost but the cut on the bass is very small - "And looking at the T=0, B=0 curve at the top of your post, I see the evidence for the claim that although the bass pot is supposed to be boost only, it actually has a cut (very small, like -2dB) when set to zero."

Personally I find that setting bass to 50% is not flat - its a definite boost. But then again I have a '78 model when there was little consistency.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' timestamp='1453722564' post='2962057']

Yes, the link I sent (on page 2 with graphs) mentions both bass and treble are cut & boost but the cut on the bass is very small - "And looking at the T=0, B=0 curve at the top of your post, I see the evidence for the claim that although the bass pot is supposed to be boost only, it actually has a cut (very small, like -2dB) when set to zero."

Personally I find that setting bass to 50% is not flat - its a definite boost. But then again I have a '78 model when there was little consistency.
[/quote]

Yes I agree. I tend to run mine at full with the treble backed off a little, and then adjust back if I want to bring the mid range up.

I also agree with the significant sound variation available from moving the plucking hand and also from the intensity of plucking the strings. One thing I hadn't appreciated but I picked up from watching a Bernard Edwards/Chic performance is the sound variation by plucking between the pick up and bridge.

The range of sound available from a 2 band MM bass is excellent. Even before you start adding in the mutes etc.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1453676190' post='2961779']
All of the 2 bands, be they in USA Sub, standard Stingray 2 bands or Classic Rays (or pre Ernie Ball for that matter) do not have centre detent controls so yours won't have them.[/quote]

Quick cheaty way to ascertain where the centre points are: when I first got my StingRay, I loosened the knobs and repositioned them so that the screw hole is directly on top when the EQ is in the middle (flat) position - makes it very easy to see what you are doing :)

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1453810047' post='2962908']

Quick cheaty way to ascertain where the centre points are: when I first got my StingRay, I loosened the knobs and repositioned them so that the screw hole is directly on top when the EQ is in the middle (flat) position - makes it very easy to see what you are doing :)
[/quote]

That's a good tip - however as stated above, you need to remember that the 'flat' is not at the centre of travel of either the bass (lower than centre) or treble (higher than centre IIRC) - it's useful to know where you are in terms of the travel of each control, but my own view is that the advice to adjust according to what you hear is probably the best on this.

Edited by drTStingray