Why become a member? ×

Your favourite UK 80's Album.?

bubinga5

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453761706' post='2962622']
The Wall

No pedantic replies please.
[/quote]

Ignoring the fact that it was released in 1979, for me "The Wall" is very much an album that signifies the end of the 70s.

Compare and contrast with PiL's "Metal Box" which came out at the same time and was pushing music forward into the new decade.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1453590640' post='2960946']
Stay Hungry - Twisted Sister
[/quote]

Doh!

Just noticed the 'UK' bit, so will change to:

Under the blade - Twisted Sister

As it was recorded in the UK, for a UK record label, and the producer was English (Pete Way).

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1453754626' post='2962527']
All of those that have voted for Tears for Fears' Songs from the Big Chair might want to check out Steven Wilson's remix of the album. It's been completely rebuilt from the original analogue master tapes, all the 80s reverb fog removed and replaced with a more subtle use of modern reverb, and all the mastering compression removed and replaced by a flat transfer. It sounds amazing and you can actually hear all the different parts; Mothers Talk is an absolute revelation.
[/quote]Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1453840896' post='2963382']
Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
[/quote]
It's available as part of last year's box set or on its own as blu-ray audio. I got the blu-ray audio and it also came with a code for a high resolution FLAC download.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453816550' post='2963005']

Ignoring the fact that it was released in 1979, for me "The Wall" is very much an album that signifies the end of the 70s.

Compare and contrast with PiL's "Metal Box" which came out at the same time and was pushing music forward into the new decade.
[/quote]

That's an interesting take on it considering how well it sold and continues to sell.

I don't really think the 80s started producing anything really defining until around 1984.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453847238' post='2963491']
That's an interesting take on it considering how well it sold and continues to sell.

I don't really think the 80s started producing anything really defining until around 1984.
[/quote]

In the end it's all a matter of taste and has nothing to do with how popular the records were (or still are)

For me the 80s were all about the first few years and became less interesting by the middle of the decade (much like the 70s) until acid house shook everything up again in 1988.

Such a lot to choose from, was a big fan of The Jam and The Police - Ghost in the Machine was possibly their best album IMO. As mentioned elsewhere, Peter Gabriel's 'So' should be on a lot of peoples list but.... have we all forgotten The Art of Noise? In Visible Silence and Below the Waste were great albums.