Why become a member? ×

Prerequisites for being a pro

colgraff

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452599556' post='2951423']
anyone who earns more money from music than they have spent on their equipment can be described as professional.
[/quote]
Some years that would be me.
However I'm pretty sh*t and could only ever do what i do in the band that i'm in.

I retired early from my job late last year, taking a pension and lump sum. My three piece band is quite busy (all our available Saturdays this year have gone) and I have a fortnightly jam night too. So I consider myself to be a musician by trade now.

What I feel I need to be a professional musician:
Availability (including last minute)
Reliable gear and spares
Playing ability for the band I'm in
Transport
Can do / Will do attitude / flexibility
The ability to zip it when things are not going my way
Patience of a saint when things are not going my way
The common sense to put my foot down when something really doesn't suit the band without turning it into a saga.
Sleep
Organisational capacity
To be able to smile sweetly and to press the flesh with landlords I think are total boneheads
Platsred on grin and to be able to chat with punters when i would rather be left alone
To be able to stop at a legal level to drive
Not minding driving distances to gigs if the money is right
An understanding wife

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452596604' post='2951390']

Well I get paid for playing the Dog & Duck, but it would never occur to me to describe myself as a 'Pro'.
[/quote]

I play bass guitar for a living and I wouldn't describe myself as Pro either. I think being a pro or considered a pro is something others might label you with.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452603564' post='2951474']
If you're a semi-pro, does that mean that you earn half as much as you've spent on your equipment?
[/quote]

Hard to deny...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452607752' post='2951552']
People keep mentioning top quality equipment. Off the top of my head, 4 of my tutors at uni were most definitely pro, they played Fenders, musicman, cort and aria basses.

It's how you play what you play.
[/quote]

I agree, the important thing is that your kit should be reliable, so that it won't let you or your clients down.

I was one of those mentioning 'top quality equipment' - but where is the top really? £1,400 Fender USA? £2,500 Dingwall? £10,000 Fodera? Of course that's a whole other thread along the lines of 'Why pay more when a Squier CV does such a great job?'

My 2p, [b]in no particular order[/b]:

1 - Being registered for tax as a self-employed musician, or being signed to a record company contract.
2 - Having RELIABLE gear (doesn't need to be expensive, but needs to work consistently, and should be well maintained, and maybe PAT tested?)
3 - Turning up on time, dressed suitably for the gig / session.
4 - Being of an ability where you can perform the material required of you, consistently.

All I can think of right now.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452607752' post='2951552']
People keep mentioning top quality equipment. Off the top of my head, 4 of my tutors at uni were most definitely pro, they played Fenders, musicman, cort and aria basses.

It's how you play what you play.
[/quote]
Musicman,aria and fender are certainly professional basses in that well they are largely used by professional musicians, fender probably by more than any other brand even if that musician has a Roscoe or whatever at home too.

Whilst at music college I remember being given some sage advice:

1. Be early
2. Be skilled*
3. Don't be a dick

This is all that matters. If you show up in good time for whatever it is you've been booked to do, know the music in more depth than anyone else there and are generally a pleasant human being then you'll never be short of work.

Notice that there's no mention of gear anywhere. [b]Nobody apart from other bass players cares what gear you use[/b] as long as it works and you make the music feel good.

*The skill set that you need depends on the circles that you wish to move in. If you make a living doing pub gigs then you don't need to read, but if you want to get booked for theatre stuff then you won't get far without being comfortable with dots.

I think theres some confusion between a pro player and a pro session player. If your primary source of income is playing, whether in a signed band or a wedding band, you're a pro as far as I'm concerned. That is it- nothing else matters. It's not about how much that happens to be or your ability to play. Most of the advice on here fits well for a session player or someone looking to get regular gigs, but not for the (to use an earlier example) Adam Claytons of this world. Doesn't make him any less of a pro though!