Why become a member? ×

Switching between pick/fingers---for a single song

uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452121002' post='2946812']
Normally in the band I play everything with a pick, but recently we've written some stuff which for lack of a better description is country-rock-esque and would perhaps be better served using fingers. However, if I just jump from pick to fingers without changing anything else then I find the tone a bit...muddy/muffled (??? I hate describing sounds) I guess.

Any generic tips for changing from pick to fingers and vice versa? EQ changes (what?), level changes, anything really?

First person to turn this into a pick vs fingers argument is waiving their right to complain should I ever meet them in person and deliver the world's most epic wedgie. You have been warned.
[/quote]
The difference you've described sound pretty much what you'd expect to get when changing from pick to fingerstyle with no EQ or volume settings changes - playing with a pick gives a brighter sound with more attack, whereas fingerstyle gives a less trebly, 'rounder' sound. If this isn't the reason you're playing the new songs with your fingers as opposed to using a pick, why the change?

It's been mentioned briefly but my advice would be to go for a bit of palm muting to soften the tone to make it more Country but not losing so much volume as a switch to fingers.

either that or an EQ pedal set up so that you can drop pick, stomp on box and voila- it's a lot less hassle to palm mute tho.

Have you tried sticking to pick, but slightly palm muting at the same time? It would remove sustain, of course (how much, that's something you can control by the position of your hand), but it may just give you something closer to what you're after.

edit: and suddenly a flurry of 'try palm muting' comments... typical :lol:

Edited by mcnach

I'll play a given song on whatever takes my fancy at the time, but if the pick's been in my mouth long enough for me to start drooling excessively the decision's made for me! When I change I usually adjust the settings on my effects board (the one next to the volume pot) Job done.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452165043' post='2947108']
No, you're right. If I wanted exactly the same sound then I wouldn't bother changing.

I like my pick sound. I don't really like my finger style sound if I switch without changing anything. I'm looking for some simple tips.
[/quote]

I read the initial Felt Pick comment as... plastic pick for most songs as usual, felt pick for the country song for a different/softer but still more picky tone than just the fingers. Which should fit your criteria for the song?

The fingerstyle will sound less inherently attacky than a pick (just because of the different hardness of the substances involved). Things which might help when you are finger picking is changing your plucking position. I mostly play fingerstyle but get a lot of variation from swapping from picking over the end of the next, over the neck pick up and over the bridge pickup. Playing more towards the bridge should help add more treble and attack into your sound.

Also think about how you attack the string with your fingers. You'll get a very different tone from gently stroking the string from really digging in and plucking harder. Similarly angling your fingertips with respect to the string or plucking with your thumb will change the tone produced a surprising amount. Experiment and see if you can find a plucked tone which works for your ears and for the song.

Or as others have suggested, experiment with using a regular pick and palm muting? There are lots of options to try without resorting to EQ changes or effects.

I`d use an eq pedal to add in some highs or high-mids and possibly drop some low-mids for the fingerstyle seeing as it`s a warmer sound. In order to keep the same presence it`s the attack of the note that needs looking at imo.

Or maybe look at a compressor - some reduce the lows so using one of these would reduce the muffliness (new word there maybe) and also keep the notes to a more stable presence. The MXR Dynacomp would be my suggestion for this.

Edited by Lozz196

The other thing you could try, if you haven't already, is playing with the wider, rounded end of the pick instead of the pointy end.
This is the way I hold picks normally &, to me at least, it does have a mellower sound than when I use the pointy end.

Try not to bite my head off this time, I'm only trying to help...... :D

I usually just add a touch of treble on my on bass EQ and shift the pickup balance to a little towards the P position to keep some low end in there, so essentially making a scooped type tone for pick work. I realise this is useless for single pickup, active basses! Works for me but I'd advise playing around and seeing what you like in the context of your band. From the sound of it, you need a little more attack with fingers so add a little treble and roll the bass off slightly to stop it getting boomy. Maybe play a little closer to the bridge as suggested elsewhere too. I'm sure you'll get there with some experimenting,

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452186788' post='2947440']
I've tried felt picks before, didn't really like them if I'm honest but I'll maybe give it another go.
[/quote]

I would guess that for now you are in experiment mode, checking out as many different pick and fingerstyle options and variations until:
[list=1]
[*]You find a tone that you think, "Love that tone for the occasional country song!"
[*]You decide, "Hmmm, not a tone I personally love but I can live with it and it really works for those occasional country songs so I'll go with it anyway."
[*]You decide, "Stuff it. Fingerstyle, felt picks and palm muting... none of that's working for me. Back to playing with a pick, but maybe I'll just roll off the tone control on the bass a touch for that tune, maybe that will mellow it down enough." or,
[*]You decide, "Stuff it. Fingerstyle, felt picks and palm muting... none of that's working for me. Back to playing with a pick as normal, full stop!"
[/list]
Main thing is have fun experimenting with something new and having a chance to braoden your sonic horizons...