Why become a member? ×

Versatile bass around 350 euros?

wojt3q

Hi! I'm actually a guitarist and looking for a bass guitar for my home studio. Since I'm not a bass player, I don't really want to buy hi-end bass, that's why I prefer sth rather inexpensive - I can spend around 350 euros.

I don't have much experience with bass (this will be my second one) and I still don't have any particular tonal preferences, that's why I would like to purchase something versatile with wide variety of tonal options. The bass is going to he used in almost everything - rock, funk, jazz, electronic music, solo bass stuff etc.

I think I prefer used ones - better quality to price ratio ;)

I did some research and I found few basses which are associated with word "versatile". Some of them are: Ibanez ATK200, Squier jazz basses, Vintage branded guitars, Cort gb74, Ibanez Btb, Ibanez SR, Yamaha Rbx... Some people mention StingRay copies, but some describe them as one trick pony.

What would you recommend to me?

Thank you for dropping in here!

I agree with most of the basses in your list. It's much harder to find a "bad Bass" now than it was, say, 30 years ago.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Bass Collection Nanyos, particularly the active ones (310, 320, etc) - great value for less than £200. There's one for sale in the "Basses for sale" thread for £150 which I'd definitely go for if I didn't already have 3.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1452111869' post='2946629']
I agree with most of the basses in your list. It's much harder to find a "bad Bass" now than it was, say, 30 years ago.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Bass Collection Nanyos, particularly the active ones (310, 320, etc) - great value for less than £200. There's one for sale in the "Basses for sale" thread for £150 which I'd definitely go for if I didn't already have 3.
[/quote]
Yep Bass Collection for me too and I've got 3 as well. Top notch construction and quality hardware. You are getting a quality Japanese made bass for less than the price of a Squire.

Edited by BassBunny

I'd agree with the bass collection opinion. Only played one, so i dont have vast experience, but the one i played was great!
£150!?!? Cant go wrong!

If you dont mind a bit of weight, which im guessing you wont as its for home recording, i'd go for this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275470-ibanez-mc924-musician-bass-bargain-at-only-l35000/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275470-ibanez-mc924-musician-bass-bargain-at-only-l35000/[/url]

I have no affiliation with the owner.

Yet another vote for the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (strictly, the Made In Japan series only).

The entry-level, passive SB301 is OK but nothing special. The cheapest active bass, the SB310 is pretty good but won't necessarily blow your socks off.

The SB320 is simply sublime. If you're a big fan of super-middy tones (Warwick, Schecter, etc.) then probably [i][b]not [/b][/i]the bass for you. If you like Fenders then the SB320 will blow away most, and at a fraction of the price.

Speaking of which, the days of the SB310 for £150 and the SB320 for £200 are gone I'm afraid. If you find an SB320 in good nick, don't hesitate to splash £300 or even £350 to get it.

You won't be disappointed.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452178754' post='2947309']
Yet another vote for the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection (strictly, the Made In Japan series only).

The entry-level, passive SB301 is OK but nothing special. The cheapest active bass, the SB310 is pretty good but won't necessarily blow your socks off.

The SB320 is simply sublime. If you're a big fan of super-middy tones (Warwick, Schecter, etc.) then probably [i][b]not [/b][/i]the bass for you. If you like Fenders then the SB320 will blow away most, and at a fraction of the price.

Speaking of which, the days of the SB310 for £150 and the SB320 for £200 are gone I'm afraid. If you find an SB320 in good nick, don't hesitate to splash £300 or even £350 to get it.

You won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

There's a SB401 on Gumtree for £235

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/bass-collection-sb401-made-in-japan-bass-guitar/1148663779"]https://www.gumtree....itar/1148663779[/url]

Jack's 320 twin brother, now more sensibly priced:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Bass-Collection-SB320-Electric-Green-/131690929334?hash=item1ea9641cb6:g:8vAAAOSwhcJWP7a2

and a nasty red 5er on ebay for £200

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGC-Nanyo-Bass-Collection-5-string-bass-guitar-with-Rockbag-gig-bag-case-/191774263282?hash=item2ca6a307f2:g:n30AAOSw5dNWiarc"]http://www.ebay.co.u...30AAOSw5dNWiarc[/url]

They are still out there if you're prepared to look.

Edited by TheGreek

I'm surprised no-one's suggested something from the Ibanez SR range. In essence very similar to the Bass Collections, but a lot easier to find because they're still manufactured and remain very popular. Even the low-end of the range (SR300 etc) are very highly regarded, well-made instruments with good quality & versatile active electronics. SRs also feature very thin, narrow necks, which might be suited to someone more used to a guitar.

I'm quite biased at the moment, having previously owned 2 SRs (which I sold & regretted) and recently picked up another - which was a total bargain.

€350 should buy a new SR300 if you shop around - or a used, good condition SR500, with better build/electronics & Bartolini pickups.

Jon.

[quote name='wojt3q' timestamp='1452103549' post='2946468'] Hi! I'm actually a guitarist and looking for a bass guitar for my home studio. Since I'm not a bass player, I don't really want to buy hi-end bass, that's why I prefer sth rather inexpensive - I can spend around 350 euros. I don't have much experience with bass (this will be my second one) and I still don't have any particular tonal preferences, that's why I would like to purchase something versatile with wide variety of tonal options. The bass is going to he used in almost everything - rock, funk, jazz, electronic music, solo bass stuff etc. I think I prefer used ones - better quality to price ratio ;) I did some research and I found few basses which are associated with word "versatile". Some of them are: Ibanez ATK200, Squier jazz basses, Vintage branded guitars, Cort gb74, Ibanez Btb, Ibanez SR, Yamaha Rbx... Some people mention StingRay copies, but some describe them as one trick pony. What would you recommend to me? Thank you for dropping in here! [/quote]

I would not say that Stingrays are one trick ponies at all, especially if active. However, if you want one versatile bass... I'd probably go for some kind of Jazz or even Precision/Jazz hybrid bass. Two pickups, at any rate.

I'd personally be looking at the Squier Classic Vibe series of basses. The Jazz they make is excellent. I have experiences with a lot of the models you mention and probably they'd all do the job, so it'll come down to which is more comfortable to you. But if I had to choose one, unseen... the CV Jazz.

The G&L L2000 Tribute series is also very versatile. Extremely so even. You can find one used well within your budget. Still, I'd go for a Jazz, myself.

edit: the Sire V7 gets great reviews... and as an active Jazz, I'd definitely look into it. I have never tried one but the sound clips I heard on this forum ('discreet' posted some) were really good.

Edited by mcnach

• 1 month later...

The Sire M3 feels remarkably similar to my Yamaha BB, but is much more versatile tonally. That is, if you want a 'modern' tone. The other classic versatile configuration is a PJ. Then you have a J or a P, which by definition will give you a particular basic tone - you can shape it with active EQ, but the basic tone will more or less always be there. Looks to me like you have to make up your mind first about these basic options (modern, PJ, J or P), then look for specific models.