Why become a member? ×

Band photo shoots...

yorick

Here's a strange one.. In over thirty years of bands, I've never done a pro photo shoot for promo etc... With the possibility of being a permanent member of my new band, which have done albums, tours etc, I have no clue about promo photography, or being the subject for one!!! I personally hate having my picture taken.. Hints, tips, info gratefully accepted. Cheers, Nige

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1451725199' post='2942706']
Here's a strange one.. In over thirty years of bands, I've never done a pro photo shoot for promo etc... With the possibility of being a permanent member of my new band, which have done albums, tours etc, I have no clue about promo photography, or being the subject for one!!! I personally hate having my picture taken.. Hints, tips, info gratefully accepted. Cheers, Nige
[/quote]

Have done this a couple of times. The "image" thing is paramount in these sessions, so the band would have to "look the part" -
clothes and hair being the main thing - if you're in a rock band, dress like rock band etc..

If the photos are being done in a studio, there'll be the customary backdrop, and it may be the case that some or all of you will
have to have some kind of makeup applied as this brings out the the facial features better. I know that sounds really girly but
photographs with all the pro lighting taken without it can be quite unforgiving..

Outside - virtually everything above applies, the main thing here is choosing a location as a backdrop for the photos that the
band all agree on. Try and avoid the "brick wall backdrop" if you can, and preferably a day when the weather is reasonably good!

Hope this helps?

If you're the one being photographed, and you have no input to what's happening, then let the photographer call the shots while you just try to enjoy the experience.

If you (the band) are supposed to be telling the photographer what to do, then sort out your ideas at the pub the night before, not while he stands there laughing and the meter is running.

If you think about it, this is the visual equivalent of turning up at a large gig where what the crowd hears will be what the sound guy gives them.

Edited by Happy Jack

Take along a couple of outfits so you can get a good few different looks - and get everyone in the band to do the same. If the band are in charge of location spend a while researching these so you know you`re going to get the look you want, rather than turn up and hope.

Since it appears that you are joining an existing band who have probably all done this many times before, ask them! And take a look at what they did for their previous photo shoots. I would expect that they already have their "image" worked out and most likely you will need to fit in.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1451733875' post='2942846']
If you're the one being photographed, and you have no input to what's happening, then let the photographer call the shots while you just try to enjoy the experience.

If you (the band) are supposed to be telling the photographer what to do, then sort out your ideas at the pub the night before, not while he stands there laughing and the meter is running.

If you think about it, this is the visual equivalent of turning up at a large gig where what the crowd hears will be what the sound guy gives them.
[/quote]

+1

Photos are my least favourite aspect of being in a band, but what ever they ask you to do it! (Not a casting couch situation obviously!) but the problem I've had with bands and my own ability to be photographed in the past is I/ we get nervous and don't want to look stupid then you don't do anything interesting and the photos come back and you look like a dork stood in front of the canera and you realise the image is crying out for the angles and lines and shapes the photographer was asking you to do! Deep breath......

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1451745845' post='2943025']
Take a look at what The 'Stones, U2, Cold Play, etc. did for their last photo shots. If you see something they did that you like do something similar.
[/quote]

That's exactly what we did for a photo shoot many years ago...

• 2 weeks later...

Me and the boys did a shoot recently. A bit awkward at first but everyone got quite into it by the end. It's just a question of relaxing and trusting the photographer. We've used these pictures for Facebook, Twitter and gig posters. It's not my favourites activity, being photographed, but it's got to be done I suppose...