Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass goodies for 2016!

dannybuoy

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1452781935' post='2953457']

An improvement...
[/quote]

But it's only the preamp section that has changed, the drive circuit is unaltered so a change, or improvement as you put it ;), was always bizarrely ambitious!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1452805399' post='2953745']

But it's only the preamp section that has changed, the drive circuit is unaltered so a change, or improvement as you put it ;), was always bizarrely ambitious!
[/quote]

Maybe, but since these seem to be the closest thing there is to a holy grail of bass distortion I'm wondering what it is I'm missing...

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452874104' post='2954344']
The vmt version of the ultra is going to be really interesting, will the bypass sound be completely the same as the b7k, or will it have some of that vintage loveliness due to the era function?
[/quote]

I suspect the VMT ultra won't have an Era knob....the new VMT deluxe doesn't - it has the same controls as the B7K
[url="http://darkglass.com/creations/vintage-deluxe-dynamic-preamp/"]http://darkglass.com...dynamic-preamp/[/url]

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452874104' post='2954344']
The vmt version of the ultra is going to be really interesting, will the bypass sound be completely the same as the b7k, or will it have some of that vintage loveliness due to the era function?
[/quote]

Bypass will be bypassed. Just your clean sound.

Pedal on but drive off will just have the EQ, which will sound similar to B8K but perhaps with some different EQ points.

The major differences will be in the drive channel, and the old era knob only affected the drive side.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1452880251' post='2954437']
Bypass will be bypassed. Just your clean sound.

Pedal on but drive off will just have the EQ, which will sound similar to B8K but perhaps with some different EQ points.

The major differences will be in the drive channel, and the old era knob only affected the drive side.
[/quote]

If the era affected the clean side that would be the 1 pedal for me. As it stands, I'm not too bothered about the completely clean sounds from either the b7k or the vmtd.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452954019' post='2955023']
If the era affected the clean side that would be the 1 pedal for me. As it stands, I'm not too bothered about the completely clean sounds from either the b7k or the vmtd.
[/quote]

Doug has said that you can achieve everything the Era knob could with the two mid controls. Not as simple as turning one knob, but the sounds are still there :)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452960089' post='2955108']
I wish thomann stocked pike pedals, at some point I will be buying the b7k, new vmtd and t bass di and will return two. I'm 99% sure for a designated drive I'd get a vmt, I'm just looking for something to provide a hair of drive and to warm up my sound a little.
[/quote]

Contrary to many people opinions, the B7K is capable of very warm gritty drive, there is an early demo video somewhere showing what it can do. It's not all about heavy drive and fizzy top end, you just need to know how to use a 4 band eq and the switches and see how they interact!

However, if warmth is your main goal. A vmtd does make sense, and the new version looks superb :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1452966666' post='2955210']
Contrary to many people opinions, the B7K is capable of very warm gritty drive, there is an early demo video somewhere showing what it can do. It's not all about heavy drive and fizzy top end, you just need to know how to use a 4 band eq and the switches and see how they interact!

However, if warmth is your main goal. A vmtd does make sense, and the new version looks superb :)
[/quote]

Oh I know! On talkbass I've been informing others about the b7k's abilities and I don't even own one. All I meant is I'm interested in the vulcan/xl, and wish thomann stocked them so I could order a b7k, vmtd, vulcan/xl and vt bass di at the same time and compare them.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1451899924' post='2944308']
There's an Ultra version of the Vintage planned for April release too.
[/quote]

Anyone heard any update on this? I was surprised as they've just released the deluxe. Will probably hang-on for the ultra...

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452974993' post='2955314']
Oh I know! On talkbass I've been informing others about the b7k's abilities and I don't even own one. All I meant is I'm interested in the vulcan/xl, and wish thomann stocked them so I could order a b7k, vmtd, vulcan/xl and vt bass di at the same time and compare them.
[/quote]

if someone was cool enough to lend me a B7k id love to do a comparison, sadly Darkglass cant lend one atm due to demand

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1456679712' post='2991333']
You may enjoy this post about a visit I made last week to Darkglass, including a 20 minute interview with Doug Castro.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/280043-a-visit-to-darkglass-electronics-february-2016/"]http://basschat.co.u...-february-2016/[/url]
[/quote]

Good video... seems a nice place to work...

Still not clear on plans for a Vintage Deluxe [u]Ultra [/u]though?

There's been no official word other than 'planned for April'. Best place to stay up to date is the Darkglass megathread on Talkbass where Doug actively posts, or follow him on Instagram which is where he tends to post teaser pics and vids first.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1457032508' post='2994706']
My Ultra should be with me tomorrow, man the wait has felt long :)
[/quote]

Got mine yesterday, its fairly epic!

First show with it tonight.

Edit - Yeah its seriously good, as great as the B7K is there was always something i wanted from it i couldn't quite get, the mid frequency shift gets me there on this. Also feels like there is more bottom end or more openness about the bottom end on the ultra, hard to explain but whatever it is i like it, a lot!

Edited by Bearfist

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1457032508' post='2994706']
My Ultra should be with me tomorrow, man the wait has felt long :)
[/quote]

Think you're referring to the B7K ultra, which looks (sounds) pretty awesome but I'm referring to the Vintage Deluxe Ultra predicted for more Rock rather than Metal tones...

Good luck to all of you with the B7K Ultras landing about now...

All the DG stuff sounds great..... (except the compressor SS which I can't hear the difference for at all in any of the demos?)

Visog