Why become a member? ×

AER Amp One Alternatives. A light weight combo search

sk8

I'm looking for a lightweight combo. Something grab and go for practice and PA supported gigs. I'm not looking for something modular i.e. A head and a cab, I'm looking for a one grab solution.

I've always had my eye on an MB 121 combo but I'm a little reticent since the LM3 has now gone to class D over the A/B they used the to have, plus the lack of headphone and aux in make me nervous about this purchase.

Top of my list was the AER Amp One but these aren't going to be in stock possibly till the middle of next year by the looks of it.

So I'm looking at other options. I'm after small and compact with headphone out and aux in.

I've seen the Tecamp Classic 112 which is basically a Puma 350 mated to a 112 which fits the bill.

Sound wise my big rig was an Orange AD200b into a lightweight 115 although I'm moving the Orange on. I'm not expecting to replicate this in the small rig but he ability to get something more old school vibe tone wise would be an advantage.

Anyway, anyone got any other observations/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Edited by sk8

The AER amp one is hard to beat for what you seem to want. I had one briefly and really liked the performance for the size and weight. Unmatched by any other combo given the same parameters.

My main thought is that you're tying up a lot of money in a complex combo and if the amp goes it's likely only AER can fix it, and probably by replacing an expensive part. My own experience of their customer service has been about as bad as I've ever experienced so think very carefully.

What I've done is bought a BF Super Midget and small head. It's almost as convenient as a combo. A BF One10 might be capable of sounding simiIar to an amp one with the right amp. That's what I'd do if I could wind the clock back. :( (The BF One10 wasn't released when I bought the AER. :angry:)

Sorry, that was a bit rambling and didn't really answer your question fully.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

A possible solution is get a Markbass CMD121 and get a Markbass Little Mark Tube, take the regular LM3 out and put the LMT in the combo. Bit of an expensive way round but this way you get some tube emulation, and the Class A amp you want.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1450952433' post='2937269']
A possible solution is get a Markbass CMD121 and get a Markbass Little Mark Tube, take the regular LM3 out and put the LMT in the combo. Bit of an expensive way round but this way you get some tube emulation, and the Class A amp you want.
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz. I'm not that adverse to the LM3 in its current guise as I'm led to believe it sounds the same. I suppose it's whether I really want/need the headphone out aux in

I think that Promenade Music have an AER Amp One in stock at £899 - maybe worth calling? I've found the Amp One to be fairly unique in terms of functionality and tone - it's almost unbelievable, especially when pushed. I can't re ally comment on customer service, though I've heard both very good and very poor for AER

I have the AER 1 amp and I keep waiting for that moment when I'm going to have to go larger and modular, but it hasn't yet happened (OK, I don't play with a loud drummer). Practise, rehearsal, teaching or small to medium size gigs, it hasn't let me down yet. If that one mentioned by Three, at Promenade Music is going for £899, I would snap it up!

[quote name='three' timestamp='1451496118' post='2940998']
I think that Promenade Music have an AER Amp One in stock at £899 - maybe worth calling? I've found the Amp One to be fairly unique in terms of functionality and tone - it's almost unbelievable, especially when pushed. I can't re ally comment on customer service, though I've heard both very good and very poor for AER
[/quote]
I had a problem with my amp one farting at medium volume, sent it back and they couldn't find the problem so sent me a brand new one back!
The amp was about five years old and I bought I second hand off basschat!

I still gig my MK1 Promethean, wonderfull combo and has the Vibe knob that can get you a bit close to the old school sound.
I need to find a new tweeter for mine though, it has been developing some hiss lately, it may be about to blow.
Off-topic: If someone can reccomend me a replacement tweeter please send me a PM.