Why become a member? ×

Some advice

adamlunt

I am, naturally, totally biased but they are fantastic basses. Loads of info about them on my website... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk

Great sounding and great playing. Plus, my MK 1 and Pro IIE did pretty much every gig I ever did so I never get the "I could never gig it, it's so expensive" comments you hear about a lot of top end basses, Wals included. You just make sure it's not left lying around, unattended. And like any other instrument look after them and, if they do get the odd ding then no sweat, they are working tools not sculptures.

Here is a this chat I did on the brand at the last SE Bass Bash. Parts 1-3.are the history and the different models, 4 covers how they work/sound...
http://youtu.be/Cot2EN0JrS0
http://youtu.be/HpBzB-6IEnY
http://youtu.be/wZelMUtYF4A
http://youtu.be/qq4yNlIk6co

Edited by TrevorR

As with Trevor I am totally biased, so I'm not really the best person to offer an objective viewpoint.

I definitely think they are worth the premium.

With a lot of custom builders you are looking at aesthetic "improvements" over off the shelf instruments, but with Wal you are buying a unique sound that I have not managed to find elsewhere.

... anyway i've ranted and raved about these basses too many times already, I expect everyone is sick of it. :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1450777327' post='2935672']
Ha ha! Just remember, Rob, that just because we are biased doesn't mean that we aren't 100% right! ;-) And who better to comment than those who love their Wals?
[/quote]

I've been trying to think of something negative to say about mine to give a bit of balance. Unfortunately the best I can come up with is that it would be a nice touch if the cavity cover was made out of the same wood as the back facing rather than black plastic...

... but that is literally it :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

If you're asking then I'd suggest you need to do a lot more homework.

You should only spend that amount of money on a dead cert.

Having said that, my Wal Custom mk3 5 string was the best bass I've owned and played. They are a cut above in quality, sound and feel.

They are not for everyone and not for every band. I sold mine because after the studio dates and originals bands dried up it didn't get used very often, but it was very special while it lasted.

Having owned a Wal I have to say, in MY opinion, I wouldn't be in a hurry to own another one, especially given their current premium price. Are they good? Sure. Are they £4k good? Not in my view. I've found basses that fit me better for a fraction of the price, and have a full-on ACG custom coming at half the price of the last USED Wal I saw on here.

However... if you have an itch that needs scratched, it's unlikely that anything but a Wal will satisfy you. I'm just glad I scratched said itch when I could get a Wal for mid 3 figures, rather than the current mid 4 figures! If only the same could be said for my current pre-CBS precision Gas...

Edited by Bigwan

For the first time in well over twenty years my house is a Wal free zone and I don't like it :(

I will be looking to get another I think, even though I'm pretty sure most of them are too heavy for me to gig with these days.

There are a whole lot of lovely instruments to consider. I would be taking my time, doing the research and looking at Dingwall, Lull, Spector, Fender, G&L, Alpha, ACG etc.

I would add a massive +1 for ACG.
Very similar starting point in the preamp, although the ACG preamp goes a bit further and has more options, giving you tones outside the Wal-i-sphere too.
The design and build is obviously quite different, but I guess that's all down to taste.
If you REALLY want a Wal, you'll just have to pay your money and wait, however if you want something that can get close to the Wal sound, I don't think you can go far wrong.

Best of luck!
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1450795731' post='2935948']
I would add a massive +1 for ACG.
[/quote]

A big tick in the ACG box is the option of the in house designed and built multicoil pickups.

I'd say it's the pickups more so than the preamp that are responsible for the Wal tone.

... not that ACG are building Wal clones, you'd have a whole plethora of custom options there besides the pickups :)

Edited by CamdenRob

I've owned an old one (with the plastic scratchplate) & played quite a few as the music shop I used to work in sold them.
When I spent an afternoon at the Bass Centre in the late 80s I tried, among many other basses, a few Wals but ended up leaving with a Levinson Blade B4 which at the time was the same price as a Wal.
They are nicely made basses but I think they are vastly overpriced these days.

I have not tried a Wal, but they do get some great reviews. One caution, however, I was desperate for either a Dingwall Vor a Spector V having heard several played by others over the last few months. I went to Bass Direct and tried both, exactly the models I wanted. I also tried Ken Smiths and others but came away with a Roscoe. I had never heard of Roscoe prior to then. Why did I buy it? To me it was the easiest to play and for my ability, it gave me the best tone. I nearly bought a Dingwall off here, prior to that but am pleased I did not.

In other words get yourself to somewhere like Bass Direct / Bass Gallery and try all sorts of high end guitars. It will either convince you to wait for the Wal you want or perhaps you may discover a preferred alternative.

Good luck. Apologies if this comes across as a lecture, it is not meant to be, just a tip based on my very recent experience.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1450796619' post='2935958']

In other words get yourself to somewhere like Bass Direct / Bass Gallery and try all sorts of high end guitars. It will either convince you to wait for the Wal you want or perhaps you may discover a preferred alternative.

Good luck. Apologies if this comes across as a lecture, it is not meant to be, just a tip based on my very recent experience.
[/quote]

Lecture? No. Wise words? Absolutely. If you're investing that level of cash in an instrument (new or second hand) it can't be on a whim or a hunch. You do need to check them out to be sure that the idiosyncrasies of the Wal really do fit your bill. Wals are amazing basses but they aren't for everyone. If weight is an issue than second hand ones an be an issue as they have a reputation for weightiness - though personally mine don't bother me at 10 1/2 lbs each. New ones you can specify to be lighter. Then there are the other general ergonomics etc and wether the sound really works for you.

Deffo try before you buy on any top end instrument...

I've owned 2x Wals and didn't get on with either - the neck profile just felt wrong somehow whereas the asymmetric neck profile on my ACG feels [i]sooo[/i] right. The ACG sits so well in regards balance/comfort whereas I found that the lower horn on the Wal used to bite into my leg when playing sitting down. It was also quite weighty - [i]does anybody own one that's less than 10LBs?[/i]

Choosing between the pick ups/pre-amps is merely a matter of taste as both produce a fantastic range of tones which should satisfy 99.999% of bass players.

Wals have been holding their price over the past few years which means that you could probably pick up 2x ACGs for the price of one Wal.

To throw another cat amongst the pigeons, you could always consider a Ritter - all the benefits of a Jazz (neck/weight/balance) and another great pre-amp which gives you huge range which your typical Fender doesn't. If you're looking for something a bit more exclusive this is probably the way to go.