Why become a member? ×

Small footprint cabs

drewm

Having not played bass outside the house for the last 2 years, I'm looking at downsizing my rig.

I currently have a pair of Aguilar GS 112s that I use with a Markbass F500. The cabs take up a reasonable chunk of our small living space for the use they get.

I've been thinking about switching to a single SL 112, thinking that'd both be a nice upgrade in quality, and save me some space. Does that sound crazy to you guys?

I know Markbass also do some nice small cabs - a 1x12 and a 2x10 - any thoughts on these?

I've not really got a good question to ask, just looking for some ideas I guess!

Drew.

Without sounding smart or cheeky is there anyway you can stack them end on end and hide them in a corner, or use them as a coffee table ,

I know some guys use a single 12'' as a one cab solution and I know from my knowledge there is a 12'' cab on the market that can take 800+ watts or more and really pushes some air,

A 2x10 could be a good idea but is it much smaller than the 2 GS's

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1450554300' post='2933905']
Without sounding smart or cheeky is there anyway you can stack them end on end and hide them in a corner, or use them as a coffee table ,
[/quote]

I already have them stacked up on end - and that would be fine if they were in regular use. It just seems a waste of space when I'm not putting both to regular use (and have no prospect of doing so).

The Markbass NY 121 looks pretty nifty - that's an option I'd not spotted before.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450554446' post='2933910']
Barefaced make some very small (yet powerful) cabs. I don't currently own one, before I get accused of fanboi-ism. :)
[/quote]

I obviously hear good things around these parts, but they're just so damn ugly :(

I've been stacking my Ashdown mi-12 pair horizontally for ages. Then we played a gig where I didn't have as much room.

Stacked them vertically - bit of a precarious balance for the abm head, but it takes up very little room - just over a square foot.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='drewm' timestamp='1450564136' post='2933994']
I obviously hear good things around these parts, but they're just so damn ugly :(
[/quote]

The GS cabs are so 'good' in the low end that that would be hard to achieve in a smaller box.
I'm not sure the SL112's will do that so you'll be considering a change of bias to your sound.

A pr of TKS S112's aren't that much smaller ..if at all...but they look great and sound great.

The missus couldn't really mind if these were part of the furniture, but if you aren't using the cabs,
then maybe store them somewhere less obtrusive...at work or the garage, loft...??