Why become a member? ×

50-105 Chromes on MIM P! Fear?

taha_never

Hello. has anyone put these on a roger waters P? does the neck resist the tension?
previously i had a set of 45-100 installed on it. strung it with these 50-105s last night but the action and relief scared me a bit. set it up to taste but i'm worried about future neck wrap around the rod, or truss rod nut breakage, squeezed wood, etc. please share your experience with me. i will appreciate that.

Not sure what the problem is here - Chromes are extremely low tension, while Fenders are stiff as steel rods. Any bass neck will be able to cope with either and anything in between, if set up correctly: not just the truss rod but also the saddle height for the action and, if you're a lucky Warwick owner, the nut height.

thank you all for your answers.
and how about the duration? will my bass get harmed during time with the heavy strings on it? neck warp along its longitude axis, wood squash under the truss rod nut, and other problems.
ever happened to anyone using MIM basses strung with 50-150 and above flatwounds?

[quote name='Yawn_Blah' timestamp='1450094050' post='2929455']
... will my bass get harmed during time with the heavy strings on it? ...
[/quote]

If heavy gauge flatwounds harm the bass when the trussrod is set correctly then there was something wrong with the bass.

Heavy gauge flatwounds was the factory fitted standard on most basses - including Fender basses right up to the mid 1970s.

[quote name='Yawn_Blah' timestamp='1450083446' post='2929309']
yes i forgot to mention that i took mine off too and went back to those old 45-100s!
i did achieve the desired relief and action with the 50-105s on but i was not sure what would happen to my neck in the future during time...!
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1450085140' post='2929324']
I put a set of those fender flats with the green silks on a bass once ages ago and you could have shot arrows with the bass afterwards :blink: Action went to about an inch off the fretboard.
[/quote]

I also found the Chromes 50-105s quite different to the 45-100s, much more different than the 10% to 5% diameter difference suggests. The 45-100s are easier to me but I am very partial to the spaghetti string aka TI flats. I also tried the Fender flats with green silks. That lasted about 10 minutes for the same reasons as CamdenRob. Even with truss rod and action sorted I did not enjoy the experience, made my DB with spiro mittel seem quite low tension. The 50-105s seem quite firm even on a 30" scale bass, tone is good though.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1450249316' post='2930853']
are you suggesting MIM are not up to standard?
[/quote] i don't know. i'm asking this. as they are very cheaper than the vintage/USA ones i suspected that the tolerances and standards may vary so maybe i should not put a high tension string on a mexican neck. another thing to mention is that after a1.5 year of use (with 45-100 199LBs strings on) i'm facing a maxed out truss rod which means i have to put washers under it first (if that just fixes the problem) before putting the new strings on. bigger strings=bigger problems?!

Edited by Yawn_Blah

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bought some metal washers from our local hardware shop. inner:5.5 vs outer:10 millimeters. narrowed the outer to 9mm myself and the fit perfectly. decided to just swap out the D string with the D string from the new set. the neck is currently set up very well to a much better action than before with zero problem. thanks again.[/font][/color]