Why become a member? ×

Lightweight combo?

SaxyBassist

Hi all, I wonder if I could ask some advice?

For gigs I use 2 TC electronic RS210s with an RH450 amp head, I love the sound and power the rig has and great for all size venues.

I am occasionally in a houseband for a weekly jam in a pub so I just take one of the cabs and it's just right in terms of power. I'm wondering to make things even easier to save faffing about packing up the head and the cables, (cos I'm lazy! ) about getting a TC BG250 115 combo - would this give me similar power to one of my 210s?

thanks in advance for any advice :D

Edited by SaxyBassist

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1450083301' post='2929308']
Genz Benz Contour going cheap in the F/S section. Would fit the bill.
[/quote]

Thanks Japhet, that looks good but the seller is in Manchester and I'm in Essex and they won't post.

Just really trying to find out if the TC 115 combo will be as powerful/loud as one of my 210s, as there is one locally on offer :-)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1450091167' post='2929419']
You don't want to faff around with 1 speaker lead and 1 amp?

IMO you already have the perfect modular rig.
[/quote]

I know it's perfect, but having to dismantle it all and then reassemble it all at again at home I don't mind for decently paid gigs, but if I had this combo it would make my life easier for the jam (not well paid) - bear in mind I'm an older lady (much older than I look in my pic which was taken earlier this year - you wouldn't believe me if I told you!!.... and not in the best of health :-( ) All I want to know is - would the BG 115 match one of my 210s? if not then I won't get it :-)

There's a decent review of the TC combos here, including a comparison of the different speaker sizes available (best listened to through headphones).

http://youtu.be/Uc4rj6EhB7M

The 115 sounds different to the 210 version of the combos and Gregor points out the difference you'll notice in tone between the combos and the RH heads with the RS cabs... something to consider if you love what you're hearing with your current setup.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1450093336' post='2929446']
There's a decent review of the TC combos here, including a comparison of the different speaker sizes available (best listened to through headphones).

[media]http://youtu.be/Uc4rj6EhB7M[/media]

The 115 sounds different to the 210 version of the combos and Gregor points out the difference you'll notice in tone between the combos and the RH heads with the RS cabs... something to consider if you love what you're hearing with your current setup.
[/quote]

Thanks this is very useful :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1450092977' post='2929443']
You won't know without trying it but why wouldn't it match up?
[/quote]

Because it's one 15" speaker instead of 2x10 and it's 250 watts instead of 400 and it's in lighter casing :) I'm just trying to find out how it compares in oomph to one of my 2x10s

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1450101392' post='2929543']
Hi SaxyBassist,

The Genz is mine. I'll be visiting family in St. Albans, Herts for around a week from 28th if that helps? The combo is 500W at 4 ohms and 300W at 8 ohms into the cab's two 10'' drivers. It's a great sounding, loud combo.

Cheers,

Tobie
[/quote]

I live in St. Albans. If you'd like me to hold it for you until you can get to St. A or deliver it to you in Essex I can do it if you need?

Alex

Maybe it would be worth considering making your life easier on every gig by using a lighter weight speaker cab given that the RS210 is ~20Kg - a barefaced One10 is about ~7Kg and same ballpark as buying a combo, and if it can give the tone and vol that you need for smaller gigs/jams, then it is going to be a whole lot easier to live with for loading purposes(the trial period is a simple way to settle any doubts about will it cut it in the real world).

edit:lol ironside ninja'd me

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

I wrote a great long reply with each post quoted and it wouldn't let me post it for some reason!! :blink:

Anyway thanks for all the advice - I am now coming to the conclusion reading everyone's responses that the real problem (which I have been denying to myself) is actually is my cabs are too heavy for me, I dread coming home from a gig if my son is not home to unload them as I won't leave them in the car, that's when I use the sack barrow but lifting them is an effort for me :(

I think if I was to spend money I would look at the barefaced range, I haven't got a clue which one/s would give a similar power and sound to what I have now though!

Edited by SaxyBassist

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1450118461' post='2929798']
I think if I was to spend money I would look at the barefaced range, I haven't got a clue which one/s would give a similar power and sound to what I have now though!
[/quote]

Drop Alex a PM and ask, he is always happy to advise. I have used a TC Classic 450 and RH750 through BF Compact, Midget and now Supercompact. They all sound different and all exactly as Alex described when I asked him.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1450120669' post='2929829']
If you like your sound, maybe look at shifting one 212 and getting two rs112 - Thomann have them for £180, half the price they are here in the UK! You might even get away with one, if your gigs aren't outrageously loud.
[/quote]

That's an idea that might work thanks - 14kgs lighter :)

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1450118461' post='2929798']
I wrote a great long reply with each post quoted and it wouldn't let me post it for some reason!! :blink:

Anyway thanks for all the advice - I am now coming to the conclusion reading everyone's responses that the real problem (which I have been denying to myself) is actually is my cabs are too heavy for me, I dread coming home from a gig if my son is not home to unload them as I won't leave them in the car, that's when I use the sack barrow but lifting them is an effort for me :(

[/quote]

Similar power should be easy. Similar sound... not so much, as they all vary so much.
If you want light and powerful... A generation 2 Barefaced Compact (115) is loud and such an easy lift. I used to own an RS210 and RH450 but I don't recall how the head sounded with the Compact alone... probably "bigger" but not so prominent on the midrange. However, you can add more midrange from your amp to compensate. The Compact doesn't go beyond 4 KHz, but I rarely found that to be a limitation, however it depends entirely of the sound you're after: if you like lots of treble, this might be lacking.

There's also the TKS S112 cabs that I haven't yet tried myself but I'm looking into right now. Very light, at about 10Kg each, half the RS210. Even if you used two of those, two 10Kg lifts is easier than one 20Kg, and the way the RS210 balances makes it awkward too. Something else to look into. And you can get them in many colours. I want mine purple :lol:

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1450120669' post='2929829']
If you like your sound, maybe look at shifting one 212 and getting two rs112 - Thomann have them for £180, half the price they are here in the UK! You might even get away with one, if your gigs aren't outrageously loud.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be able to stack a 210 on top of 2 112s though would I ?

I was going to say I'm not sure, as I haven't used TC RS cabs... But this is copied and lasted from TC's website:

...'As well as being easy to carry, RS112 maintains the RS range's 'stackability' concept. All the cabinets in the range may be stacked together in various combinations.

The RS112, for example, fits perfectly under an RS210, making it an ideal combination for small to mid-sized gigs...'

I think I may have come up with a solution for the jam situation, my little Promethean PS3110, and an RS112, 11kgs and 14 kgs respectively! The little promethean has nowhere near enough guts, but driving the RS112 could be just right! Whatd'yareckon all? :huh: :D

Edited by SaxyBassist