Why become a member? ×

Tried a new D Lakin Bob Glaub today...

tredders

Popped into Bass Direct on the way home today, to pick up a new lead and guitar stand and tried out a couple of basses.

There was a Custom Shop Relic Precision, which I found pretty ordinary - certainly not as good as I was expecting. There was a nice 2nd hand '69 P bass - very light, lovely fast neck. But the star of the show was a new Lakin Bob Glaub. Felt and sounded absolutely lovely, and looked great too - Cosmic blue with a matching headstock. It was pretty light and just felt right, and sounded like a proper P bass.

I'm not in the market for a new bass at the moment (haha! how many times have we all said that?!) but if I was, I'd be spending a grand on one of those new Lakin basses instead of considerably more on a Fender. And that's from a dyed in the wool Fender player....

I've been gawping at this, too. Happy Jack has also tried it and says it's a good thing, so now with your recommendation too I'm inclined to think, er... it's a good thing. Of course Dan also has plenty of previous with Lakland, so it's not like Lakin is an unknown quantity.

I had a Lakland BG previously and regretted selling it. I think the surprising thing for me was after playing a handful of basses in the £1000 - £2500 price range in the shop, it was the cheapest one that felt and sounded the best. The CS Relic didn't do a thing for me, and I dread to think what the RRP is on one of those now.

You know I said that I really didn't need another bass... 😃

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1449948871' post='2928349']
I've played that bass and thought it was unremarkable. Sorry.
[/quote]

By the same token, I'm sure plenty of people would pick up the CS P bass I didn't rate and love it too. One mans meat and all that. It's a good thing we don't all love the same things (the Jaco thread on here is proving that!!).

I noticed that there was also a La Bella PJ hanging up in the shop, but I didn't get the chance to have a go on that. Looked nice though!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1450017515' post='2928797']
£1000 for a bass made in Indonesia (or Korea - can't remember)? A bit steep, IMO.
[/quote]

It says that the standard series are made in Korea, but the Bob Glaub is a USA bass - http://dlakinbasses.com/prices/

This is not something that I'm looking for, but I have no issues with country of origin or indeed price for the right instrument.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1450017515' post='2928797']
£1000 for a bass made in Indonesia (or Korea - can't remember)? A bit steep, IMO.
[/quote]Why is that a bad thing for a bass to be made in Indonesia or Korea.? why is a bass made in those countries not worth a grand. ?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1450018977' post='2928813']

It says that the standard series are made in Korea, but the Bob Glaub is a USA bass - http://dlakinbasses.com/prices/

This is not something that I'm looking for, but I have no issues with country of origin or indeed price for the right instrument.
[/quote]

If it's a grand, it's not the USA model.

As for it being a bad thing - I didn't say it was. But production is presumably in the Far East to keep costs down. I don't see much evidence of the savings being passed to the consumer.